You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #5,986 of 6,356
AP-linux: Is a realtime kernel or JACK sheerly for music playback really necessary? I'd say no.

Looks fairly cool for multiple streams, recording stuff on a middling system. Love the fluxbox and deadbeef..err, love. But if it only wasn't so easy to take a snapshot of the EXACT SAME setup on my Arch install and put it on a Live CD...Heck I could just churn up a system with nothing but cmus/mpd and ALSA, run it bit-perfect without dmixer, slap it on a P3, and call it a day.

*Actually, when you look at the screenshots, it appears to be just a snapshot of Linux Mint (couldn't just start from scratch? ) with audio set up and stuff stripped down. Way to innovate. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #5,987 of 6,356
Quote:
AP-linux: Is a realtime kernel or JACK sheerly for music playback really necessary? I'd say no.

Looks fairly cool for multiple streams, recording stuff on a middling system. Love the fluxbox and deadbeef..err, love. But if it only wasn't so easy to take a snapshot of the EXACT SAME setup on my Arch install and put it on a Live CD...Heck I could just churn up a system with nothing but cmus/mpd and ALSA, run it bit-perfect without dmixer, slap it on a P3, and call it a day.

*Actually, when you look at the screenshots, it appears to be just a snapshot of Linux Mint (couldn't just start from scratch? ) with audio set up and stuff stripped down. Way to innovate. 

It was based on Linux Mint Debian I believe. And Arch Linux user? Isn't that like the Linux for super-advance/technical people? I like Kubuntu.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #5,989 of 6,356
Quote:
Well, at least their default Conky looks nice

That it does. Ripping and archiving in my folder of stolen configs.

Quote:
It was based on Linux Mint Debian I believe. And Arch Linux user? Isn't that like the Linux for super-advance/technical people? I like Kubuntu.

Yeah, but on the Live CD, they didn't even bother changing the labeling or the wallpaper. It still looks like a typical Mint install on the inside and outside.

Nah, Arch is the Linux for smug, elitist arse that tells people to RTFM, rices their desktops, rants about minimalism, likes to show off screenshots with an arbitrary window full of pseudo-code to show off their leetness, and grows massive neckbeards. But the distro itself is pretty cool.

You must be thinking about Funtoo/Crux.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #5,990 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
Well, at least their default Conky looks nice

That it does. Ripping and archiving in my folder of stolen configs.

Quote:

Yeah, but on the Live CD, they didn't even bother changing the labeling or the wallpaper. It still looks like a typical Mint install on the inside and outside.

Nah, Arch is the Linux for smug, elitist arse that tells people to RTFM, rices their desktops, rants about minimalism, likes to show off screenshots with an arbitrary window full of pseudo-code to show off their leetness, and grows massive neckbeards. But the distro itself is pretty cool.

You must be thinking about Funtoo/Crux.

What about crunchbang?

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #5,992 of 6,356
Quote:

That sounds exactly like the general population of a certain imageboard that I visit.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #5,993 of 6,356
Quote:

That sounds exactly like the general population of a certain imageboard that I visit.

Nah, there can't possible be an entire community of people with abrasive, self-righteous, trollish personalities like that...That would just be stupid.
*cough*4chan*cough*
Yep, pretty much impossible for something like that to happen. Thank goodness.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #5,994 of 6,356
You start buying music that's specifically geared and recorded "for audiophiles" and stop enjoying badly recorded music.

Of course there can be a balance. But many "audiophiles" I've come across have the above disease.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #5,996 of 6,356
Quote:
my parents HATE my audio escapade. It was SO hard to convince them to let me get Grado's, and even then, they wouldnt let me get a DAC. They go on a personal cruise every year that costs thousands, but they cant justify audio stuff.

My parents have long since stopped trying to stop me. They still go ahead and attempt to convince me not to take my best gear to school, saying it could break.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #5,997 of 6,356
When you're backing up your music on your dads 3TB drive, you find his music backup folder. It's all in 128KBPS mp3. He has EAC installed on his computer. I don't even understand.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #5,998 of 6,356
Quote:
When you're backing up your music on your dads 3TB drive, you find his music backup folder. It's all in 128KBPS mp3. He has EAC installed on his computer. I don't even understand.

blink.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #5,999 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
What about crunchbang?

Isn't it all pre-configured and set up? Depends on how you perceive a distro as being difficult though. Is it the setup, the maintainance, or the actual usage that's being gauged?

Crunchbang is completely manual. Nothing is done for you. It requires a lot of terminal work but apparently it's ridiculously efficient when you master it.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #6,000 of 6,356
Quote:
Crunchbang is completely manual. Nothing is done for you. It requires a lot of terminal work but apparently it's ridiculously efficient when you master it.

Crunchbang is pretty good for everyday media consumption, at least for me. Never really tried to play music on it though. Maybe I should try mpd + ncmpcpp and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back