You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #5,896 of 6,356
To all you folks who are addicted to this hobby, admitting that is the first step.

But now it's time for some intervention therapy. What you need to do is pick three headphones from your collection and send the remainder to me. I'll "keep them safe" and help you wean yourself from this horrible addiction. Also, you need to send me any money you had earmarked for the purchase of new headphones, DACs, amps, etc. If you have no money and no headphones, you can't be addicted, see?

YKYAA when you your excuse for wearing your IEMs in class is that you're "evaluating them for review" and that being surrounded by other people is a good test of their isolation. Of course class hasn't actually started yet, but still, here I am with these things jammed in my ears, watching people file in.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #5,898 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you pledge that you won't buy audio gear for your New Year's resolution and you're having a hard time keeping to it. That new Schiit Stack is pretty darn tempting.....

Yep, that stack is a veritable pile of Schiit.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #5,899 of 6,356
Jan 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #5,900 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you pledge that you won't buy audio gear for your New Year's resolution and you're having a hard time keeping to it. That new Schiit Stack is pretty darn tempting.....

Just ordered the Modi to complete my Schiit Stack.

Also ordered the Asgard, went a little nuts and had to do it.  I have spent way too much in the last month on headphones and amps...and ear pads and cables and stands...oh crap I need help...someone stop me...and a soldering iron to mod my sound card..and three different daps..

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #5,902 of 6,356
When you're extremely anal about the care of your headphone cables.

If straight, I coil them up until they're at a usable length (~1.5 feet for use at the computer) and use a little double-sided velcro strap to hold the coil together. If coiled, I carefuly wrap the cable around itself starting from the termination side of the cable and set it on a flat surface whenever they're not being used.

I let my brother use my M50s with his guitar amp for a while. He carelessly wrapped the cable all around the headphone, coil and all. Now he's not allowed to use them any more.

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #5,903 of 6,356
When you won't repair a friends beats Solos in the hopes that next time he buys something better (and I only have rather pricey silver core wire in any quantity right now). 

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #5,904 of 6,356
When you dream (I mean real night dreams) about finding totl vintage gear in alleys or garage sales. 

Had this dream, found a perfect condition RS 1800 Reel to Reel and a box full of cans and amp stuff. I couldn't fit it onto the truck. I knew it must fit, but I just couldn't. Got scared to leave it there because someone else will take it. Woke up.

What? :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #5,906 of 6,356
YKYAAW when you realize that 24/96 isn't inherently better than 16/44 but that the masters are usually better for "high rez" albums.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #5,907 of 6,356
Quote:
YKYAAW when you realize that 24/96 isn't inherently better than 16/44 but that the masters are usually better for "high rez" albums.

Or you're an audiophile when you believe you can hear a difference between 24/96 and 16/44 and you go out of your way to buy albums in "HD" formats, thinking you're getting "better quality" files that you can't tell the difference between in reality.
Likewise goes for snake oil "voodoo" cables that cost over $500.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #5,908 of 6,356
Quote:
Or you're an audiophile when you believe you can hear a difference between 24/96 and 16/44 and you go out of your way to buy albums in "HD" formats, thinking you're getting "better quality" files that you can't tell the difference between in reality.

Or iPod LOD cables for $200 or more......

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #5,909 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:

Or iPod LOD cables for $200 or more......

I didn't even know that existed. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back