You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #5,058 of 6,356
Quote:
When you can appreciate a good composition in a song even if you're basically listening to a MIDI sequence.

+1

I like the music from LoZ Twilight Princess, even though one of the common complaints about the game was that its soundtrack wasn't orchestrated the way Super Mario Galaxy's was a year later. The main Hyrule Field theme in particular has some awesome deep bass, and it's just overall well composed.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5,059 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile when whenever people bring up a conversation you compare it to headphones..

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #5,066 of 6,356
Quote:
When the name of your cafe is your favorite headphone.

When a Potato Chip Company titles its chips as: STAX

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #5,067 of 6,356
Quote:

It's people like this that makes me lose faith in the society we live in. T_T

You know you're an audiophile when you buy ~$100 audio gear for everyone in your family for Christmas (3 people total), and one for yourself (a grand total of ~$600). Guuuuh my wallet...

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #5,068 of 6,356
Or when the headphones get powered more often by the amp than the speakers do.

be warned that some amps have truly awful headphone stages. i mean there are 70s amps that drove headphones through the main amp, but put resistors in series, but now many modern amps have a separate and not very good headphone stage of their own

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #5,069 of 6,356
Quote:
I feel like punching babies.

A baby wrote that?

tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #5,070 of 6,356
Quote:
be warned that some amps have truly awful headphone stages. i mean there are 70s amps that drove headphones through the main amp, but put resistors in series, but now many modern amps have a separate and not very good headphone stage of their own

Actually it's been demonstrated here more than once that most stereo amps and receivers drive their headphone jacks off the main amp, so there's nothing to fear. This is up to recent times, and probably includes a goodly proportion of HT amps, since it's cheaper to do this than provide a separate HP amp. You're pretty safe if you stick to good brands like Rotel, Nad, Marantz etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back