You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2,521 of 6,356
You know you're an Audiophile when you're not satisfied with a Major Upgrade in the world of IEMs (i.e. VSonic GR06 to JVC FXT90 and then thinking about the Earsonics SM3
rolleyes.gif
).

May 12, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #2,522 of 6,356

You know you're an audiophile when... you don't own any Grados (haters gonna hate... but they should be deaf by now)

May 12, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #2,527 of 6,356
Everything just sounds better without pants on...
Quote:
Your wearing headphones, but no pants.

You know you're an audiophile when you wonder what your friends are thinking when they ask you for a ride, but they already know you're listening to music.

May 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2,531 of 6,356
May 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #2,533 of 6,356
Quote:
Makes me wonder.
Is hearing damage more likely to be caused by certain frequencies, or is it only dependent on intensity.

Different frequency ranges can be independently damaged and in general higher frequencies are easier to damage.  What matters is the intensity at a given frequency though to be on the safe side you should probably only consider bass at subwoofer frequencies to be less damaging.

May 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #2,534 of 6,356
Different frequency ranges can be independently damaged and in general higher frequencies are easier to damage.  What matters is the intensity at a given frequency though to be on the safe side you should probably only consider bass at subwoofer frequencies to be less damaging.

So hearing damage happens on the individual sound receptors (or whatever the physiological name for them is) in the Cochlea?
Interesting. Never gave it much thought to be honest.

I ordered a book about the Physiology of Hearing (it was a little over 4 GBP shipped), which should arrive next week. No doubt it will give a far more detailed explanation of hearing loss, among other things.

I guess you know you're an audiophile when you buy books about Physiology of hearing, Psychoacoustics and other related subjects. In addition to reading even more pirated books related to audio.

May 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #2,535 of 6,356
Quote:
So hearing damage happens on the individual sound receptors (or whatever the physiological name for them is) in the Cochlea?
Interesting. Never gave it much thought to be honest.

There are different hair cells that respond at different frequencies.  From what I understand if you over stimulate them they die and since the ones at higher frequencies fire off nerve impulses more frequently than the ones that fire at lower frequencies they're more prone to being overstimulated and dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back