You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #2,416 of 6,356
When you fight tooth and nail to try and convince your friend that a >$1000 headphone (JH13 in this case) shouldn't sound like two bloody car subwoofers attached to your head to be worth the purchase.

*sigh*

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #2,419 of 6,356
When you actually spend $2000 for ES5s with Envy exotic faceplate, Pico Slim amp, Whiplash Elite Micro LOD w/ Oyaide, iPod classic 160 GB and that's it.. hmm.. yea that's it haha can't wait to hear them (my first custom IEMs) :p

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #2,420 of 6,356
Doing something similar. Already had a iPod Classic 160gb, but ordered the Aurisonics AS-1b's and a Chris_Himself LOD and Headstage Arrow 4G.Hopefully the plugs i ordered on ebay fit and i'll get Chris_Himself to make new cables for the AS-1b's
Quote:
When you actually spend $2000 for ES5s with Envy exotic faceplate, Pico Slim amp, Whiplash Elite Micro LOD w/ Oyaide, iPod classic 160 GB and that's it.. hmm.. yea that's it haha can't wait to hear them (my first custom IEMs) :p

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #2,421 of 6,356

Quote:
Doing something similar. Already had a iPod Classic 160gb, but ordered the Aurisonics AS-1b's and a Chris_Himself LOD and Headstage Arrow 4G.Hopefully the plugs i ordered on ebay fit and i'll get Chris_Himself to make new cables for the AS-1b's

I wish you good luck on that one mate, I was lucky to get my ES5s on rush order (no extra charge paid) and I think they will be with me this week. OMG can hardly wait! Good luck with your rig man and hope you get things moving soon! :wink:

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #2,422 of 6,356
When you know that improving the sound quality through re-cabling is totally nonsense!

Audiophiles often tend to believe too much. Those snakeoil-believers should found their own church.

There is no rational reason to believe in God(s), Jesus, etc. - same goes with the re-cabling story*.

Rather read some books of Richard Dawkins or Lawrence Krauss instead.

Just my tow cents.

"Free" country, "free" opinion.
wink.gif

* You can have an effect by re-cabling (f.e. different resistance through another cable), but not as 99% of the descriptions of the changing of the sound by using different cables advertises.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #2,423 of 6,356
Currently re-ripping all my CD's (100+) and this is a birthday present to myself, so I hope my AS-1b's arrive by my birthday in 13 days....

Quote:
I wish you good luck on that one mate, I was lucky to get my ES5s on rush order (no extra charge paid) and I think they will be with me this week. OMG can hardly wait! Good luck with your rig man and hope you get things moving soon! :wink:

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #2,424 of 6,356
Quote:
When you know that improving the sound quality through re-cabling is totally nonsense!

Audiophiles often tend to believe too much. Those snakeoil-believers should found their own church.

There is no rational reason to believe in God(s), Jesus, etc. - same goes with the re-cabling story*.

Rather read some books of Richard Dawkins or Lawrence Krauss instead.

Just my tow cents.

"Free" country, "free" opinion.
wink.gif

* You can have an effect by re-cabling (f.e. different resistance through another cable), but not as 99% of the descriptions of the changing of the sound by using different cables advertises.

"Free" banhammers and "free" post deletion notwithstanding.

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #2,426 of 6,356
I use a mac so using XLD to rip each CD into MP3 320kbps, AIFF, and FLAC so i don't have to worry about doing this again in the near future. Approaching the 20 CD's ripped mark.

Quote:
Wow kenman345, nice thing! I have 8800+ songs (I know all of them very well), maybe 20% are flac and 35% - 40% 320kbps. I will have a lot of downloading to do. Pf, I envy you! :))

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #2,427 of 6,356

Quote:
Currently re-ripping all my CD's (100+) and this is a birthday present to myself, so I hope my AS-1b's arrive by my birthday in 13 days....

Re-ripping is definitely an anal-retentive, audiophile thing... and I'm doing it as well.  I just don't have the space for lossless at this time so I'm compromising at 256kbps VBR AAC.  Between that and lossless my old ears can't hear the difference.

I've also decided that I'm NEVER downloading anything I care about off of iTunes again...

Happy Birthday BTW...

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #2,428 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile when...

...you snort how the HD800 is prone to scratches, while the ruthenium accents of your prized Edition 8's resist wear. 
...you insist that headphone burn-in exists, based on 10,000 hours with your K701.
...you admit that the scratchy earpads on your Grados are an integral part your love/hate relationship.
...you consider getting a dozen Manufaktur headphones in different colors to reflect your daily mood.

Apr 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #2,429 of 6,356
Quote:

Re-ripping is definitely an anal-retentive, audiophile thing... and I'm doing it as well.  I just don't have the space for lossless at this time so I'm compromising at 256kbps VBR AAC.  Between that and lossless my old ears can't hear the difference.

I've also decided that I'm NEVER downloading anything I care about off of iTunes again...

Happy Birthday BTW...

That's ok, my young ears don't hear a difference either. :wink: I only rip in FLAC because it makes my hard drive look less empty. I bought too big a drive back when I was a gamer and now I don't have many games on it.

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #2,430 of 6,356

Quote:
Yes, they work as a three-way system.  I like the mid-wails straight up in the center, low end blubbering close but slightly to the left.  The high pitched squeals seem to work best at 20ft and panned slightly to the right.  

My crossover is pretty good, I can spank left or right handed...

I would throw in my youngest being chased around me by my wife with a toothbrush and a washcloth... just to get that swirling "On The Run" effect from Dark Side of the Moon.

I guess you're an Audiophile when the police shine the flashlight in your car and catch you and your wife with the seats reclined... trying to get the stereo fade and balance right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back