You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #706 of 6,356

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #709 of 6,356
When you end up with over 15 pairs and rising in a few months since being on here, and empty out cabinets to store them all in and still run out of room. They have to be hanging.
When you buy spare sets to store away, of the exact same one, JUST IN CASE... and then you think about buying spares of those spares ( yep ) while you still can.
When you start worrying about dust on your pristine 35+year old NOS pair and begin to worry about pad replacements before they even get broken in.
When you think about buying multiple sets of an odd high end under-appreciated model that's no longer made and get mad that they phased it out in the last couple years, but then worry if you should get the spares of the spares mentioned above instead.
When the ebay rush kicks in and you WILL win those to teach the other bidders a lesson.
When $50 becomes like $5 in your mind, according to the grand scheme of headphone economics, but it is still $50 in the real world.
When you go replace all the different tubes ( 11 ) in your amp with top-of-the line Russian  and old Raytheons just to eliminate a single issue which may not even be tube related. And you just burned in 4 new ones but they won't be as good as the NEW new ones of course.

What   has      become    of    me  

"Just one last purchase"  Reminds me when I used to play video games way back : " just one more, just one more REAL game, that one didn't count " 
normal_smile%20.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #711 of 6,356
HA! It's not quite that bad with headphones. It's just that there is one more I'd like to get my hands on. Sort of a slow progression from good to better sound.

I'll admit gaming was a terrible thing. Worked it's way out of my system. Makes me laugh every time I think about what I said there.

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #712 of 6,356
You know you are an audiophile when you go on head fi during school time instead of playing games like the person next to you 
atsmile.gif

Yep do this all the time. Also Last.FM, Wikipedia, Pitchfork, Allmusic and MusicBrainz for researching potential new music, as well as trivia about music and artists.
Edit: forgot /mu/.

Also you know when you're an audiophile when your favorite bands become hated only because they have mediocre recordings. I shouldn't do this, but darn, I simply CAN'T stand listening to those horrible recordings. :mad:

Also when you think 'This recording sounds bad. Maybe it's the quality?' So you decide to download the lossless version. Hmmm still sounds bad, maybe I should find a 24/96 version and see if that's adequate.

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #719 of 6,356
You are sitting on a train by a girl wearing a pair of Sony phones and trying your hardest to squint and make out which model they are.  Failing that, you blindly guess they are probably crap low-end MDRs (like the V150s) because how many everyday people wears a nice set of cans out on a walk?  You only to realize later they were MDR-V6s.  Facepalming yourself as you get off at your stop later, you realize, you could have just asked her, but you were too sure and too proud.

(Yes, I had this exact experience just the other day going home on the Red Line...I feel stupid for staring and squinting at her now.)

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #720 of 6,356
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back