You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #1,231 of 6,356
just bought monster turbine golds, after just buying dt 990s last week, being an audiophile is costly :frowning2:

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #1,232 of 6,356
 You have no Idea how hard audiophilia is to explain to 13 and 14 year olds. They're all like "why would you spend more than 30 on a pair of headphones," "why would you want more than one pair," "why didn't you get the beats," "what's that thing attached to the back of your iPod?" Nobody gets it :p

13-14 year olds have trouble understanding why mathematics is enjoyable, how literature (in particular poems) are a form of art, or how jazz, folk and classical music can be truly beautiful and give one a sense of enlightenment.

At that age almost everyone has a very closed mind, and alienates everything that seems out of the ordinary. Only at age 15-16 people start developing a more open mind.
All the kids on here claiming to have an open mind during your puberty: just wait and see what happens in a couple years.

For me it was almost like rediscovering the entire world when I came to understand the concept of beauty and enlightenment at the age of 16.
And my perception of art is still developing, I can only wait and see what awaits for me in an odd years time. Without doubt my understanding of the world will have increased even further.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #1,233 of 6,356
... age doesn't matter and the equipment you use is not more important than actualy playing and enjoying the music.

That's an audiophile. An audiofool on the other hand... :)

The majority are combinations of both. Me included.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #1,234 of 6,356

Quote:
13-14 year olds have trouble understanding why mathematics is enjoyable, how literature (in particular poems) are a form of art, or how jazz, folk and classical music can be truly beautiful and give one a sense of enlightenment.
At that age almost everyone has a very closed mind, and alienates everything that seems out of the ordinary. Only at age 15-16 people start developing a more open mind.
All the kids on here claiming to have an open mind during your puberty: just wait and see what happens in a couple years.
For me it was almost like rediscovering the entire world when I came to understand the concept of beauty and enlightenment at the age of 16.
And my perception of art is still developing, I can only wait and see what awaits for me in an odd years time. Without doubt my understanding of the world will have increased even further.

I have to say, I have never had an open-mind as such, I have always had a very one directional, logical view on things, in the end, it was music that first made stop looking and thinking about things, and just letting them be themselves, something that does that well is something I consider art, if I can just look, or listen, or taste, or feel it, and have it leave a lasting impression, then I consider it art, If its forgettable, or unpleasant, it probably isn't, the moment I think about things too much, I'll just go in little loops about music just being air moving and transferring energy that pushes a drum in my ear, making a audiable sound thats converted into electrical currents that my brain interparates as pleasant.
Age brings a sense of understanding, and also a sense, that it's nicer not to know, but simply to enjoy, thats why art is so enjoyable, as it's purpose can be nothing, it's understanding none, and yet it's importance can be great.
and hormones ruin your perception of everything, in many ways, being out of my teenage years will be nice, or horrible, I'll find out I guess.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #1,235 of 6,356
... age doesn't matter and the equipment you use is not more important than actualy playing and enjoying the music.

That's an audiophile. An audiofool on the other hand... :)

The majority are combinations of both. Me included.

True. I personally try to enjoy the music as much as possible, and spend whatever money I can on equipment.
Why? Because I find audio equipment an interesting hobby, and what would I otherwise spend my money on?

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #1,236 of 6,356
I don't doubt you with my mind opening up but I do understand those things (poetry, jazz etc) at 14. I'm special? :)

Quote:

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #1,237 of 6,356
I don't doubt you with my mind opening up but I do understand those things (poetry, jazz etc) at 14. I'm special? :)

Not particularly.
But I think you'll come to understand many more things as you grow older. This is true for any age, but I think especially right after puberty.

I was just giving examples, but it really differs from person to person. It's just that 13-14 year olds tend to be quite close minded about things.

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,238 of 6,356
 I do have to mention, I actually
a) enjoy mathematics
b) LOVE poetry ( I write it myself)
c) LOVE LOVE LOVE Folk, Jazz and Classical

It's also why I got so deeply into audiophilia. I kind of stick out in my year  (school) because I'm not like the rest of the pack. I don't talk about sports or such, I talk about music, I talk other things, I love classical, jazz, Adele (which some people definitely can't understand why)

I do try to view the world with my mind as open as possible, I just really started that in the last year.
Quote:

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,239 of 6,356
People getting all deep and 'indie' is possibly the most polar opposite of the stero-typical audiophile.

Understanding of the world is perception not some deep hidden meaning behind things or puberty or whatever... There are amazing artists going through puberty even those that are deep routed can fall after during... whenever. 

Your brain is ever changing right the way up to your early to mid 20's, trust me you've got a long way to go... Even then it doesn't change anything, just makes you think you know better... Which unfortunately none of us do.

There are few people i have met who have been truly 'enlightened' but i can bet very few happened right after puberty very few of us could make such a suggestion from anywhere to 10-80 years down the line.

Glad to see everyone's enjoying music and the equipment to use it just don't forget to loose sight of what's truly important in your life... An trust me it probably isn't being 'individual'.

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #1,240 of 6,356
People getting all deep and 'indie' is possibly the most polar opposite of the stero-typical audiophile.

Understanding of the world is perception not some deep hidden meaning behind things or puberty or whatever... There are amazing artists going through puberty even those that are deep routed can fall after during... whenever. 

Your brain is ever changing right the way up to your early to mid 20's, trust me you've got a long way to go... Even then it doesn't change anything, just makes you think you know better... Which unfortunately none of us do.

There are few people i have met who have been truly 'enlightened' but i can bet very few happened right after puberty very few of us could make such a suggestion from anywhere to 10-80 years down the line.

Glad to see everyone's enjoying music and the equipment to use it just don't forget to loose sight of what's truly important in your life... An trust me it probably isn't being 'individual'.

I didn't mean to imply something so dramatic as enlightenment happens right after puberty, but rather the fact that after puberty your view on the world rapidly changes.
In my case for the better. Heck, I thought that there was no purpose to live whatsoever. I also didn't listen to any music at all until I was 15, and all forms of art were 'stupidity' from my point of view.

Let us not derail too much further.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #1,243 of 6,356
We just had a 4.2 earthquake here in San Francisco and the first thing I did was call my neighbor and had him go into my apartment to make sure my amps were all okay. And they are! Now back to work.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,245 of 6,356

Quote:
We just had a 4.2 earthquake here in San Francisco and the first thing I did was call my neighbor and had him go into my apartment to make sure my amps were all okay. And they are! Now back to work.

lawl, i'd probably do the same thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back