You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #5,341 of 6,356
Quote:

It is. I started doing this a few years ago and it's made my life so much easier. I use it as a general file server, so I don't need to keep copies of anything on any of my computers, and if one of them crashes, all I lose is the time spent reinstalling from scratch. Of course keeping everything backed up is important, otherwise if your server tanks you lose everything. I'm slowly building a system with multiple points of redundancy, but for now I just keep everything backed up on some spare space on the one desktop computer that's always on.

There's some other cool stuff you can do. If you use a Linux OS on your server, you can set it up so you can access it from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection. You can also use it as a proxy if you don't trust the wireless Internet somewhere. Of course you have to use a Linux client OS in order to do this (or use something like Cygwin), and its value can be limited by your own ISP's upload limit (in my case it's pitiful), but overall it's pretty cool.

You know you're an audiophile when you insist that music streamed over a network connection loses quality as compared to listening to it read from a local hard drive.

lol i'm not sure if you secure your music files or life document files more thoroughly
tongue.gif

Quote:

^my reaction. i guess the only way from there is.... speakers?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #5,342 of 6,356
Quote:
^my reaction. i guess the only way from there is.... speakers?
rolleyes.gif

Technically electrostats are "ear-speakers", so in order to top that you might be right. 
smile.gif

Either that, or that Smyth Realiser thing I keep seeing. I think they recommend you use a set of Stax with it because of their neutrality.

Or, it might be time to step up to these bad boys:

Just in case you don't know the running joke about these, they're supposed to be rather bad.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #5,343 of 6,356
Quote:

Just in case you don't know the running joke about these, they're supposed to be rather bad.

LMAO I have those things from like years ago. Got them from a yard sale with a vintage receiver. The midrange honks like a goose and the low end is muddy and boomy.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #5,344 of 6,356
Quote:
LMAO I have those things from like years ago. Got them from a yard sale with a vintage receiver. The midrange honks like a goose and the low end is muddy and boomy.

"Honks like a goose." Brilliant. Just...brilliant.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #5,348 of 6,356
Quote:

Technically electrostats are "ear-speakers", so in order to top that you might be right. 
smile.gif

Either that, or that Smyth Realiser thing I keep seeing. I think they recommend you use a set of Stax with it because of their neutrality.

i... kinds guessed so. when their adverts use these kind of images and talks only about bass
tongue.gif

and LOL "honks like a goose"

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #5,349 of 6,356
Quote:
i... kinds guessed so. when their adverts use these kind of images and talks only about bass
tongue.gif

and LOL "honks like a goose"

Yeah, they were the speaker version of the Beats before Beats were a thing. Crappy sound, marketed as though it were good and desirable (some of the ads talk about lookalikes not being soundalikes), and with ill-defined, bloated bass.

"Honks like a goose" sounds like a great custom title, BTW.

You know you're an audiophile when the first thing you think of after installing a 2TB hard drive in your server is how much more music you can get on there. It's ten times the size of the original drive I was using. That should give me plenty of space to archive everything and keep collecting.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #5,350 of 6,356
Quote:
You could also get both your computers connected to your home network and copy from the Mac to the PC that way. I've never owned a Mac so I can't help you on how to set up/access that on your end, but on Windows it's pretty much automatic--you just have to make sure the directory/folder you're copying to is write-accessible from the network, which can be accomplished from the Properties menu item available for any folder.

This method can be pretty slow, depending on your network, but it's platform independent and always (eventually) works (barring weird network issues).

It works well for playing media as well, as long as you map the directory with the files as a drive in Windows. In fact, I don't keep any of my media on my computers. I have a server set up and use my computers as clients. This saves me having to copy everything over every time I get a new computer or reinstall an OS. It also saves me having to synchronize everything across multiple machines when I add one song to my library.

Hello Argyris,
For this method of yours, can you describe it in more detail? It sounds really interesting. What OS do you run the server as? 
In the Windows 7 "properties" menu, do you use the "sharing" tab, click the "share" button below the Network Path, and perform some magic there? I have no idea how this works.

I would have thought the Grados would suit Latios better, since its stat spread is the more offensively oriented of the two, and we all know how aggressive those Grados are. Latios, while no wall by any standard, could do well with the safer HD598.

...And you know you go on Smogon too often when you're worrying about stuff like that 
tongue.gif
. Great pic, happy holidays! 

Another Smogon visitor! 
biggrin.gif

One of my friends peaked at #1 on Pokemon Showdown recently... and then his brother came along and destroyed his rating. 
blink.gif

Did you mean Latias? She is a better wall ^_^ and can actually hold her own in combat... unlike SkarmBliss, or Chansey...
Wow, my BestBuy must be the best one in the whole universe!
I want today and they had a AKG Q701, Sennheiser Momentum, Sennheiser HD598, HD558, Bowers & Wilkins P3+P5, and a AudioQuest DragonFly to drive them. They also had the Peachtree iNova I think it is. They had a tube amp I cant remember the name of and also electrostatic speakers I can't remember the name of.

Where is this Best Buy? I'm jealous. My local BB only has some lower-end Senn 4xx, Sony XB500, Aviators, Beats, and not much worth noting.

Happy Holidays! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #5,351 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
You could also get both your computers connected to your home network and copy from the Mac to the PC that way. I've never owned a Mac so I can't help you on how to set up/access that on your end, but on Windows it's pretty much automatic--you just have to make sure the directory/folder you're copying to is write-accessible from the network, which can be accomplished from the Properties menu item available for any folder.

This method can be pretty slow, depending on your network, but it's platform independent and always (eventually) works (barring weird network issues).

It works well for playing media as well, as long as you map the directory with the files as a drive in Windows. In fact, I don't keep any of my media on my computers. I have a server set up and use my computers as clients. This saves me having to copy everything over every time I get a new computer or reinstall an OS. It also saves me having to synchronize everything across multiple machines when I add one song to my library.

Hello Argyris,
For this method of yours, can you describe it in more detail? It sounds really interesting. What OS do you run the server as? 
In the Windows 7 "properties" menu, do you use the "sharing" tab, click the "share" button below the Network Path, and perform some magic there? I have no idea how this works.

Happy holidays!

Wow, my BestBuy must be the best one in the whole universe!
I want today and they had a AKG Q701, Sennheiser Momentum, Sennheiser HD598, HD558, Bowers & Wilkins P3+P5, and a AudioQuest DragonFly to drive them. They also had the Peachtree iNova I think it is. They had a tube amp I cant remember the name of and also electrostatic speakers I can't remember the name of.

Where is this Best Buy? I'm jealous. My local BB only has some lower-end Senn 4xx, Sony XB500, Aviators, Beats, and not much worth noting.

Also, they have the AKG K550. Somebody in another thread said their BestBuy had a Sennheiser HD700
eek.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #5,354 of 6,356
Quote:
Hello Argyris,

I'm currently running Ubuntu Server 12.04, but theoretically you could run any modern OS that you're comfortable setting up. You're correct about the Sharing tab, though just playing around with it now I was able to access the folder by going to the Network section in Explorer and clicking on the computer where the folder is located. A prompt comes up asking for a username and password. I used the username and password for the computer I'm trying to access and I was able to view and modify anything in my Users section. I'd forgotten quite how it worked with Windows since I've been using Ubuntu for so long. It ultimately works similarly but requires more setup on the server end, including modifying a few text files and setting up a user account.

There are lots of tutorials for this sort of thing online which should be able to get you up and running. Hopefully I've given you a general idea how it might work.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #5,355 of 6,356
Quote:
Another Smogon visitor! 
biggrin.gif

One of my friends peaked at #1 on Pokemon Showdown recently... and then his brother came along and destroyed his rating. 
blink.gif

Did you mean Latias? She is a better wall ^_^ and can actually hold her own in combat... unlike SkarmBliss, or Chansey...

That must be some pokefamily. Which tier? If it's Uber or NU, mad props. Reminds me that I still have to transition from Online to Showdown...shows how much I've been out of it.

Sadly even with Soul Dew, she just won't experience the same amount of dominance that she did in Gen IV. 

Quote:
I'm currently running Ubuntu Server 12.04, but theoretically you could run any modern OS that you're comfortable setting up. You're correct about the Sharing tab, though just playing around with it now I was able to access the folder by going to the Network section in Explorer and clicking on the computer where the folder is located. A prompt comes up asking for a username and password. I used the username and password for the computer I'm trying to access and I was able to view and modify anything in my Users section. I'd forgotten quite how it worked with Windows since I've been using Ubuntu for so long. It ultimately works similarly but requires more setup on the server end, including modifying a few text files and setting up a user account.

There are lots of tutorials for this sort of thing online which should be able to get you up and running. Hopefully I've given you a general idea how it might work.

Have a similar system, but Arch and Debian machines everywhere. Main rig/server has some Gentoo, and bunch of client laptops around the house (think Pentium 2s). Only thing Windows really one-ups it on was not having to rely on or use Samba. Pretty standard fare. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back