You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4,996 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
am i an audiophile if i keep on upgrading every month and selling the not so old, just finished burn-in cans? 
dt880smile.png

:O BAD

I can't sell any of my cans. I could use the money yes but I just can't muster up the guts to do it. They're all either too loved or too rare for me to give up, even when I don't use them anymore.

M50s were a gift, K/6x was my first headphone, SE-500/700 are too stinking rare, HV-215vs are too pretty, and I still use the DT1350, 4AAA, and SA3000. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #4,997 of 6,356
Quote:
I can't sell any of my cans. I could use the money yes but I just can't muster up the guts to do it. They're all either too loved or too rare for me to give up, even when I don't use them anymore.

M50s were a gift, K/6x was my first headphone, SE-500/700 are too stinking rare, HV-215vs are too pretty, and I still use the DT1350, 4AAA, and SA3000. 

Wow the 4AAA looks retro 

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #4,998 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:

Wow the 4AAA looks retro 

It's 37 years old 
tongue.gif

And still better than many headphones I've had, which is kind of pathetic. Given a choice between the 4AAA and the M50, I'd choose the 4AAA, if that tells you anything. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #5,000 of 6,356
Quote:
The M50's are hyped, enough said.I haven't heard the older Pro4AAA only the new one, definitely a lot of treble energy which is the usual Koss sound.

The 4AAA has a great, tight, thundering low end. Much deeper than the M50 could possibly produce, and far more controlled. They're neutral with a tilt towards dark. The whole sound spectrum is well-detailed and fairly clear. They have the largest soundstage I've ever heard in a closed can, and have great imaging. The treble is not the best extension-wise but its still good enough to keep me listening, and is a blessing compared to the rude treble of the M50. They also have absolutely ridiculous isolation, far better than anything that's ever been on, around, or in my ears. 

Definitely NOTHING like the new 4AAAT, which is supposedly... well, horrible. They do have lower bass and higher treble, but at the cost of detail, soundstage, clarity, and control. Which, personally, I'm not okay with.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #5,001 of 6,356
Quote:
When you admire good music production in video games.

I may not like the series, but the Halo 2 soundtrack is ******* awesome.

Steve Vai!

When you listen to everything on your 18-song playlist for testing everything.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #5,002 of 6,356
...when you do leave your Nissan and newly-bought Honda ST1300 Pan-European in garage and just walk the 8.5 kms to your office (and back) in November, 26th, so that you can get to know your new friend on your head.

When you don't even consider about getting a driver lisence because you'll miss the time listening to your IEM on public transit

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #5,003 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
when you switch off bgm for your console games so you can listen to your own music from your own setup seperately

When you admire good music production in video games.

I may not like the series, but the Halo 2 soundtrack is ******* awesome.

I liked Halo 1's soundtrack more but that's probably because that was the first real FPS game I played, the first X-Box game I bought (I got the limited edition Halo green X-Box),  and I thus have some very fond memories with it.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #5,005 of 6,356
Quote:
The 4AAA has a great, tight, thundering low end. Much deeper than the M50 could possibly produce, and far more controlled. They're neutral with a tilt towards dark. The whole sound spectrum is well-detailed and fairly clear. They have the largest soundstage I've ever heard in a closed can, and have great imaging. The treble is not the best extension-wise but its still good enough to keep me listening, and is a blessing compared to the rude treble of the M50. They also have absolutely ridiculous isolation, far better than anything that's ever been on, around, or in my ears. 

Definitely NOTHING like the new 4AAAT, which is supposedly... well, horrible. They do have lower bass and higher treble, but at the cost of detail, soundstage, clarity, and control. Which, personally, I'm not okay with.

Fascinating! How impossible do you think it is to get old-school 4AAA's today? Have to pry them from cold, dead hands?

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #5,006 of 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's quite a remarkable feat, considering the addition of treble and reduction of bass should actually increase all those qualities (or at least give the illusion thereof). Clearly they don't use the same design, kind of like the modern DT880 is supposed to have little in common with the vintage one apart from the general balance.

Always wanted to hear one of those old DT880s. Collectors are on to them, though. Rarely under $100 these days on FleaPay.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #5,007 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's quite a remarkable feat, considering the addition of treble and reduction of bass should actually increase all those qualities (or at least give the illusion thereof). Clearly they don't use the same design, kind of like the modern DT880 is supposed to have little in common with the vintage one apart from the general balance.

Always wanted to hear one of those old DT880s. Collectors are on to them, though. Rarely under $100 these days on FleaPay.

The clarity is stretching it a bit, but the new series of drivers used in the 4AAT and 4AAAT aren't detailed and don't have as good of a soundstage, likely due to the flatter diaphragm. Additional differences are in the driver size and the diameter of the voice coil. 

The original 4AAA has a HUGE 55mm driver with a large powerful magnet on the back. The damping is integrated into the driver which is interesting. The original 4AAA has relatively fast attack and decay, which is why it has a good amount of detail. It's not very revealing, but still has more detail than most headphones I've used. The shape of the diaphragm is likely what makes the soundstage great, but I know nothing of how that works so don't quote me on it. It's neutral, tilted towards dark.

The 4AAAT has a titanium coating on the driver. This increases driver weight and I'm not sure why Koss did this. It's probably why the detail isn't up-to-par, and why it's much darker than the original 4AAA. The 4AAAT is also open-back, while the 4AAA is closed. The 4AAAT has 20mm drivers and has a higher sensitivity than the 4AAA. I can't give much more about the sound other than it's not very good, because I don't own it. The few people who have owned or tried the 4AAAT say it's crap, and the 4AAA is most certainly not.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #5,008 of 6,356

You know you're an audiophile when you realize that you LOVE this thread.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #5,010 of 6,356

I should start thinkinglike that and stop selling my pre loved cans!:) starting by not sellung this sennheiser hd 439 for an ath m50 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back