You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Feb 2, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #4,186 of 6,113
  I'll haven't done a blind test, but I just prefer to keep everything in lossless; you have exact copies of your CDs, so if you lose them, you don't lose any of the data that was on them. Plus, unless you don't have enough storage, why not go for lossless?*

*Though I do agree, I doubt I could hear much difference, especially on my set up

I go one step further and use uncompressed WAV and AIFF!

But unless a system has problems playing certain files, all lossless formats would sound the same.

And for anyone who perceives a difference between lossless formats, I have a thread for them to test their perception.

Feb 2, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4,187 of 6,113

But unless a system has problems playing certain files, all lossless formats would sound the same.

And for anyone who perceives a difference between lossless formats, I have a thread for them to test their perception.

NOO!!!

Not that thread!

but seriously!, there actually is supposed to be not a single difference between lossless formats, but actually due to processing done in the computer, some data might corrupt, and it may become damaged if the system does not like a particular file...

but normally all lossless is lossless, this is as it is going to stay!

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #4,189 of 6,113

If the data is corrupted, the file will not play at all.

the DAC should ecide to ask again for the bits, or guess the data that is corrupted... i have given a read over to the tech under a silicone DAC, because i was interested in designing something... i have given up after a while because i really better buy chord hugo..

long story short some lossless files loose some bits of data, sometimes only one bit, error which is up to the dac to guess, and if it guesses right, it sounds right, if not, it sounds bad... 

other times, theere are too many corrupted bits, and it is not possible to recover anything, it asks for them again, there is jitter in the worst case scenario, other times differences between lossless files are because the engine decoding them is software dependent, and everything under uncompressed has to suffer some algorythms to de-compress, and there could be errors... it should not happen, happen less than once in a year, but it can be a source of difference!

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #4,190 of 6,113
  the DAC should ecide to ask again for the bits, or guess the data that is corrupted... i have given a read over to the tech under a silicone DAC, because i was interested in designing something... i have given up after a while because i really better buy chord hugo..

long story short some lossless files loose some bits of data, sometimes only one bit, error which is up to the dac to guess, and if it guesses right, it sounds right, if not, it sounds bad... 

other times, theere are too many corrupted bits, and it is not possible to recover anything, it asks for them again, there is jitter in the worst case scenario, other times differences between lossless files are because the engine decoding them is software dependent, and everything under uncompressed has to suffer some algorythms to de-compress, and there could be errors... it should not happen, happen less than once in a year, but it can be a source of difference!

Post that in my Sound Science thread, not here. Also link to documentation, if possible.

Edit: I'll just quote you.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #4,192 of 6,113

There's really no difference between WAV and FLAC except for that FLAC supports tagging. Technically WAV is uncompressed and FLAC is, they're both lossless formats so the data between two copies of a music file (one in FLAC, one in WAV) would be the exact same. So how is it one step further?

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #4,194 of 6,113
(I'm unsure about this next part) FLAC only saves you a little more space. I remember reading somewhere that if you had an uncompressed WAV file, and a lossless FLAC file that both had 30 seconds of silence, the WAV would take up more space, because it wouldn't be compressing the silence or something like that. Any thoughts on this? Am I correct?

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #4,195 of 6,113
(I'm unsure about this next part) FLAC only saves you a little more space. I remember reading somewhere that if you had an uncompressed WAV file, and a lossless FLAC file that both had 30 seconds of silence, the WAV would take up more space, because it wouldn't be compressing the silence or something like that. Any thoughts on this? Am I correct?

I would think so becuse the WAV file would be playing scilence at whatever bit rate it goes at?

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #4,197 of 6,113
There's really no difference between WAV and FLAC except for that FLAC supports tagging. Technically WAV is uncompressed and FLAC is, they're both lossless formats so the data between two copies of a music file (one in FLAC, one in WAV) would be the exact same. So how is it one step further?

Dude, I already said in that very quote and in the past that all lossless formats sound the same unless there are technical difficulties.

WAV and AIFF are uncompressed lossless while FLAC and ALAC are compressed lossless.

It's "further" because it's more hardcore.
cool.gif
Takes up more space, has less compatibility, etc.

WAV files can be tagged with dBpoweramp and a few other programs, but not all programs and devices will read the tags.

In my opinion, the name "Wave" is by far the coolest name for an audio file format because it refers to sound waves.

Feb 2, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #4,199 of 6,113
Dude, I already said (and said before) that all lossless formats sound the same unless there are technical difficulties.

WAV and AIFF are uncompressed lossless while FLAC and ALAC are compressed lossless.

It's "further" because it's more hardcore. :cool: Takes up more space (we were talking about hard drive space), has less compatibility, etc.

WAV files can be tagged with dBpoweramp and a few other programs, but not all programs and devices will read the tags.

In my opinion, the name "Wave" is by far the coolest name for an audio file format because it refers to sound waves.

Yeah but since WAV takes up more space, your two TB of music (I think you said 1.96 but I rounded) isn't truly two TB... Because you're just using more space for the same exact data you could be using less space for, you darned cheater.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back