You DON'T NEED Vista NOW... Why?
Aug 12, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #62 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And XP 64 is a dead end, there will be a lot more support for Vista 64 in the future.

And how do you know this? Heck 90% of software will still run on 98se, closer to 100% when you factor in hacking them to run. And pretty much everything will run on 2000.

Why do you say XP 64 will suddenly become a dead end? It still pretty new.

EDIT:
And someone said the successor to vista has already been announced. What is it?

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #63 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT:
And someone said the successor to vista has already been announced. What is it?

Here is one article about it: http://tech.monstersandcritics.com/n...ree_years_away

Oh, and for those who bought a DX10 card...there is a DX10.1 coming out that needs a new, un-released gfx card to handle it. Bummer, eh?

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #64 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and for those who bought a DX10 card...there is a DX10.1 coming out that needs a new, un-released gfx card to handle it. Bummer, eh?

Hahahahaha, man I feel sorry for those guys that bought 8800gtx quad SLI and the like setups!! Good thing I didn't get a new video card yet!

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #65 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, because my keyboard does not have a windows key (ctrl+esc brings up the start menu though). Original gray label IBM Model M.

By the way, you can just open the start menu and type your run command (e.g., cmd) without opening run, and hit enter. It will work.

Behold the power of Vista!
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #66 of 83
my only problem that i had/have with vista is that i could not find the proper driver for my onboard NF4 sound fixed that by finding a nice SB2 gamer card and slapping it in there. no problems at all with loading times nor playing any games.

2x 7600gt
sb audigy 2
s939 x2 3800+ at 2.2ghz
1 gig of OCZ ram 2.2.2.5
2x 74gig raptors in raid 0

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #67 of 83
Tottally agree with this thread.

If you want the pretty looks of Vista on your XP then thats fine as well. Check out my desktop:

773357119_c47494365a_b.jpg

That is XP BTW
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #68 of 83
tongue.gif
Ouch, now that looks like a resource-hog...

For me, after a couple of months using Vista at home and at the office, the improvements are in the little things:

During installation, load raid-drivers from any source (cd, dvd, usb, you name it).
Hitting F2 to rename a file does not select the extension. I wanted this ever since I saw it in Linux. So, it ain't groundbreaking, but it's still nice.
Major improvement in the way the screen is built up. Yes, you can make XP look the same, but it will never perform the way Vista does.
UAC finally makes running with limited rights feasable. In XP, you need to "rihgt-click, run-as" everytime you think you might need rights. Vista just asks you.
I can set up my personal folders without having to resort to powertoys.
Vista finally uses my RAM to speed up things, in XP 75% of my RAM is jsut sitting there.

etc etc etc...

But in the end, XP works fine as well. Still use it sometimes, and it's a fine OS.

I just don't see why people are all nostalgic about 98, 2000 or even XP. The first 5 years nobody liked XP and wanted to stick with 2000. Now XP is all that, but Vista sucks...people really don't like changes, do they?

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #70 of 83
xp x64 was the bane of my office life for the last year. dvd burner would not work, printer not work, bootup was slow, no driver support for anything and running 32bit programmes was somehow a chore to setup. rubbish os.

vista - yeah, next year i guess. does not look nice though - no central design. my notebook alas has one of those obsolete dx10 cards. gt8600. shame shame

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #71 of 83
Fraseyboy how can you stand that many icons on your desktop!?!

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #72 of 83
DX10 sucks big time anyway so I'm not too excited about 10.1 just yet. For the record, I was running Company of Heroes straight out of the box at max settings with 1920x1200 resolution with absolutely no slowdown. Then I downloaded all the latest patches so I could play with my friend, and suddenly I was getting around 8 FPS (down from ~50). I spent around 45 minutes tooling around with the graphics settings wondering why it was suddenly so bad. I even put all the settings at minimum and it passed the performance test with an "average". Then I noticed that "shading" was set to "DX10". I changed it to "high" and changed everything else to "high" (or "ultra" when possible) and lo and behold my performance test ran "great". Basically DX10 gives you a ~3-5% graphical boost and a ~80% performance penalty. Needs more than just a tweak I'm thinking.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #73 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fraseyboy how can you stand that many icons on your desktop!?!

Yeah, I know... I'm not sure what to do though. I need most of them...

As for resource hog, it's not too bad. With Firefox (Big RAM user) and all the apps I have to make XP look like Vista, my RAM usage is at about 55%, and that's with 1gb of RAM. It's not too bad really... It takes a while to log in though.

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #74 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista = the next Windows ME

i mean shoot, microsoft already announced vista's successor
plainface.gif

too bad there isn't much of a choice for DX10 gamers (as far as i know... there could be some form of DX10 for XP i thought i read that but not really sure... doubtful)

there is, i also see patch that said to allow work with dx10: alky project

i don't have any dx10 games to try though, but i don't care, good graphic alone don't make good games.

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #75 of 83
For those of you who are skeptical about Vista because of its obvious memory eating habits, there is a little known new feature of this new OS. If you can get hold of a decent flash drive (a sandisk micro cruzer will do fine), it can be used as extra RAM for your PC. Just plug it into your usb port and open up the drive's properties. Click on the ReadyBoost tab and click use this device. Windows will test the drive to make sure it has a fast enough write speed to be used as RAM, and hopefully you've got one that works. If not, try googling your drive to be sure.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...eadyboost.mspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back