You DON'T NEED Vista NOW... Why?
Aug 10, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #46 of 83
Please use Vista before you hate on it...

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #47 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd change that to "Please use Vista for more than a few hours before you hate on it..."

The first few hours of switching from XP to Vista were downright painful. It got better, and now I'm at a point where I almost appreciate UAC.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #48 of 83
what i don't understand is the laptop's being sold right now with only 512MB to 1GB of RAM that still comes with vista. i'm in the market for a new laptop right now and have seen some really good deals on vista loaded laptops. was curious how easy it'd be to wipe it out and continue using XP. i've never upgraded/downgraded windows on the same computer before.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #49 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd change that to "Please use Vista for more than a few hours before you hate on it..."
The first few hours of switching from XP to Vista were downright painful. It got better, and now I'm at a point where I almost appreciate UAC.

A few hours...I would like to try it to see how it rolls but a few hours is just too much. It has to work..or not. Although that is probably depending on multiple thingys..I loved my mac from the first time I layed my hands on it. That's the way I would like an OS to work for me.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #50 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few hours...I would like to try it to see how it rolls but a few hours is just too much. It has to work..or not. Although that is probably depending on multiple thingys..I loved my mac from the first time I layed my hands on it. That's the way I would like an OS to work for me.

Considering how long you'd be running Vista if you decided to make the switch, spending just a few hours to get used to a new operating system doesn't seem too bad to me. It's not like an intensive few hours or anything; just use Vista and try to do whatever it is you usually do with your PC and you'll eventually get used to it. I think it's too demanding to expect switching to a new operating system to require absolutely 0 adjustment phase.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #52 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by xyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what i don't understand is the laptop's being sold right now with only 512MB to 1GB of RAM that still comes with vista. i'm in the market for a new laptop right now and have seen some really good deals on vista loaded laptops. was curious how easy it'd be to wipe it out and continue using XP. i've never upgraded/downgraded windows on the same computer before.

Just, p--ahem--buy a copy of XP. All you do is pop the install disc in the CD ROM and restart the computer. It will boot off the CD and then just follow the onscreen instructions.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #53 of 83
oh i figured as much, i was just wondering if it'll automatically overwrite vista or merely add XP as an alternitive. i wouldn't want both so i'm just hoping it only takes a couple clicks to remove vista completely once replaced with XP.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #54 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if I would call the vista interface "refined", rather dumbed down and candy glossed over

Well, not refined in the interface department, rather more refined in appearance. I do find that things I used to know where to find now have to be looked for, which is irritating at best.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #55 of 83
Quote:

snip

I just use the windows classic theme on XP. I even go a step further, and have all animations disabled, dragging windows drags an outline, title bars the solid blue from windows 95, etc.... I don't use my computer to stare at a pretty GUI, I use it to play games, listen to music and get work done.

snip

QFT - It's an 'operating system' people.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #56 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by xyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh i figured as much, i was just wondering if it'll automatically overwrite vista or merely add XP as an alternitive. i wouldn't want both so i'm just hoping it only takes a couple clicks to remove vista completely once replaced with XP.

Vista will be removed before XP is even installed, when you boot from the CD you have the option to format the hard drive, wiping out everything on it (including all those crap bloatware programs that come from the store). Then XP is installed.

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #57 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have been through Windows 3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, 98se, NT3.51, 4, 2K and XP. Why do you think the experience of upgrading to Vista would be any different from any of those upgrades? Most of them were pointless and painful. I still use 98se on a regular basis.

Office 97 was the best of the office series - in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

Vista will be removed before XP is even installed, when you boot from the CD you have the option to format the hard drive, wiping out everything on it (including all those crap bloatware programs that come from the store). Then XP is installed.

It's certainly a good idea to get rid of Vista (or any other Windows OS) before installing the previous version. They don't play well together and a clean install is still the best way to go.

I bought a Dell PC recently with Vista - it worked for about two hours before BSOD and other stuff that was just too hard to deal with. FDISK to the rescue. Boot from the XP disk; XP install, download XP drivers from Dell (I have several PCs) - PC now works (like a charm).

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #59 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C2D E6600
2GB of RAM
7600GT

Running Vista Ultimate x64 with virtually no problems. Of course every new OS has to be a bit rough, but hey, running things like CS3, games, Office 2007 ...it's a breeze.

Vista needs AT LEAST 2 gigs to make it run smoothly. Time for some of you to stock up on that, and maybe a processor too. I recently saw an eMachine advertised with Vista on a configuration that was dated for the last decade...no hope for that poor buyer.
blink.gif

I work at officemax, and we get computers that have like 512mb of Ram and a 250gb HD and is running VISTA....I try hard as hell to steer people away from them, but it never fails, some idiot refuses to listen to anything I say about the HP next to it....mainly because the system doesn't include a monitor, but the eMachine does. The HP has 3GB of ram and a 400GB HD and is only $200 more...and they want to hear nothing of it. The funniest part is, they'll spend the extra $250 for coverage against surges etc with the "insurance plan", but want nothing to do with teh computer that's 10 better in all respects....

Idiots. But I did my part, not my fault they want nothing to hear.

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #60 of 83
Quote:

Tablet PCs can run XP, and there is also an XP 64. Both vista and XP 64 are lacking in driver support.

There will be DX10 for xp, check out falling leaf systems. The successor to vista is already announced?? What is it? Link?

Have you ever actually used Windows XP Tablet PC edition on a daily basis?

Just doing a right "mouse button" click in explorer is maddening.

Vista is far better Tablet PC apps than XP.

And XP 64 is a dead end, there will be a lot more support for Vista 64 in the future. In fact there is already enough support right now for my needs. (I'm not playing games with my main machine, mostly 2D graphics work.) It's all about Vista's better RAM management for me.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back