You DON'T NEED Vista NOW... Why?
Aug 10, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #31 of 83
So, you haven't used Vista then have you?

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #32 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You spoke too soon. I love Vista. For two reasons. Tablet PC's and Vista 64.

-Ed

Tablet PCs can run XP, and there is also an XP 64. Both vista and XP 64 are lacking in driver support.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista = the next Windows ME

i mean shoot, microsoft already announced vista's successor
plainface.gif

too bad there isn't much of a choice for DX10 gamers (as far as i know... there could be some form of DX10 for XP i thought i read that but not really sure... doubtful)

There will be DX10 for xp, check out falling leaf systems. The successor to vista is already announced?? What is it? Link?

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #33 of 83
I dunno about gnome, it wasn't always as nice as it is now--it was quite ugly and much slower than KDE2.

I have vista (I got it free from my university anyway!) on my macbook pro, and it makes switching from OS X to windows (for gaming and those few very specific programs on windows) a little easier with its more refined UI, better antialiasing, etc.

On XP I finally got so tired of that luna theme (you know, the fat blue title bars) I resorted to downloading themes. For me at least, I can't stand the windows classic appearance, I really don't want 1995 styling in 2007. XP is an awesome OS, however, microsoft really made it rock solid when SP2 came around.

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #34 of 83
i suppose that my 6 year old copy of xp should be run aground soon if i am to game next year or so, but... vista as far as design is concerned is too disjointed - and really, if i am to look at that shell for hours on end... i'd rather just never upgrade to it.

why a bulbous start button or well... anything really. they should hire a design team who has actually had accolades somewhere else than in their own office.

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #35 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There will be DX10 for xp, check out falling leaf systems. The successor to vista is already announced?? What is it? Link?

If that is true...than it is real quick..hmm...and not a good sign perhaps..? Haven't tried Vista (yet). Would like to try it to see what all the fuss is about though. But I think I will just stick with my mac
tongue.gif

Oh and on a sidenote:
Vista is not allowed on the Olympics next year because they needed a stable OS and appearantly Vista isn't...

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #36 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno about gnome, it wasn't always as nice as it is now--it was quite ugly and much slower than KDE2.

I have vista (I got it free from my university anyway!) on my macbook pro, and it makes switching from OS X to windows (for gaming and those few very specific programs on windows) a little easier with its more refined UI, better antialiasing, etc.

On XP I finally got so tired of that luna theme (you know, the fat blue title bars) I resorted to downloading themes. For me at least, I can't stand the windows classic appearance, I really don't want 1995 styling in 2007. XP is an awesome OS, however, microsoft really made it rock solid when SP2 came around.

I don't know if I would call the vista interface "refined", rather dumbed down and candy glossed over, just like OS X (sorry mac users).

I just use the windows classic theme on XP. I even go a step further, and have all animations disabled, dragging windows drags an outline, title bars the solid blue from windows 95, etc.... I don't use my computer to stare at a pretty GUI, I use it to play games, listen to music and get work done.

EDIT:
Lol at the vista not being stable comment, I was using vista just the other day at best buy on one of their display computers, and I was trying to browse the internet with IE7, it literally kept crashing every few minutes. No joke!

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #38 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never understood why people don't like Vista, maybe that's because I haven't had any problems what so ever with it. It's a big upgrade from XP I would say, just in terms of the difference of interface.

Now I personally never said I didn't like Vista (haven't used it yet, so don't have an opinion). But my XP machines are running flawlessly, and none of the software I use requires me to use a Vista OS. As such, there is no practical reason for me to rock the boat by switching over to a new OS (and potentially screwing up the current flawless operations of my home PC network), until I absolutely NEED to.

Now if Vista offered some killer features that I would find useful, and that I couldn't get out of XP, then that would be a different story, and I might consider switching over. But as it stands right now, Vista doesn't offer anything exciting enough for me to even want to consider switching over. And all of this is coming from a guy who can get the OS for free.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #39 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You were using a display computer at Best Buy and you're complaining that it was crashing?
rolleyes.gif

It's not ideal but there was also a laptop running XP which exhibited no crashing.

The whole computer was not crashing, just IE7.

I have also used vista at friends houses (trying to fix things that they cant get working with it) and have similar issues.

One thing I really hate is they did away with the run box in the start menu (dumbing down). Whenever I wanted to find out more about the computer or when I was going to try and fix a problem, I always want to see what hardware and drivers I am working with so I would run dxdiag.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #40 of 83
Quote:

One thing I really hate is they did away with the run box in the start menu (dumbing down).

Yuck.

Does Vista at least let you add the 'Run' option to the start button/menu if you so desire?

If not, then that is one big fat strike against switching over to Vista for me.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #41 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Vista at least let you add the 'Run' option to the start button/menu if you so desire?

Yes.

I've been running Vista for a few months (another one who got it from the Uni for free) on my new computer and haven't had too many problems. I however do agree that it doesn't bring anything worthwhile to the table over 2k or XP. There's a boat load of annoying bugs and the usability is worse than what it was with the previous versions. Not worth it to upgrade from XP or 2k, but since it was free, I see no reason to step down either as it has been running fairly well regardless all the bloat.

It has been extremely stable and surprisingly doesn't slow down much, if at all, when run 24/7. The driver support hasn't been an issue for me and most programs have added Vista compatibility by now(with the exception of many security apps such as firewalls). It does eat memory but frankly, is it really better not to use memory than to use it when it's available? If an app needs memory, Vista seems to share it just fine, at least with the graphics apps I use.

That said, it's easy to see that Vista is unfinished. Not as horribly as something like ME, but still a flawed product. A nice reminder of this is the infamous add font-dialog (go to c:\windowsfonts and select file-install new font and be greeted with some windows 3.1 goodness).

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #42 of 83
Quote:

One thing I really hate is they did away with the run box in the start menu (dumbing down). Whenever I wanted to find out more about the computer or when I was going to try and fix a problem, I always want to see what hardware and drivers I am working with so I would run dxdiag.

Is it really that hard to hit winkey + R and type cmd then hit enter? I can do that many times faster than if I moved my hand to the mouse, moved it to the start menu, clicked, and searched for the run box.

One thing I love about Vista is the start menu search, no more digging for programs, I can just type in a few letters of the program name and hit enter and bam, there it is.

I'm not gonna really go into this because I think Vista vs XP debates are completely pointless, especially when you throw Linux in the mix.

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #43 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by macky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it really that hard to hit winkey + R and type cmd then hit enter?

Yeah, because my keyboard does not have a windows key (ctrl+esc brings up the start menu though). Original gray label IBM Model M.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #44 of 83
For those who are talking about how the RAM and/or CPU upgrades are just a stupid idea, I'd like you see you run XP on a 95 comp.
wink.gif

Vista is what XP should have been. Most of the major changes are underlying. For example, Vista has this thing (I'm sorry the real name avoids me for the moment) where it stores the startup data in random and secure places, so if a virus were to attack Vista, it will be limited in its attack because it does not know where all the real goody data is to cripple the comp.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #45 of 83
Quote:

Yeah, because my keyboard does not have a windows key (ctrl+esc brings up the start menu though). Original gray label IBM Model M.

Touché...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back