You decide Head-Fi.
Nov 11, 2012 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Xcuz

New Head-Fier
Right now I currently own the ATH-M50's and XB500's. I'm looking for something that has detailed sound quality like the M50's, but they lack some bass(to me atleast). I got used to the bass on the XB500's and I'm a basshead, but I also love outstanding sound quality. So, maybe something similar to a combination of these two headphones. I've also been looking at the new Sony MDR 1's and the Denon D2000's, but I don't know if those have enough bass.

Oh, and maybe something with better highs than the M50's too.

Nov 11, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
IME the M50 are boomy and sibilant, and lack a soundstage. The D2000 improve all of those problems, but good luck finding them today. The Kenwood KH-K1000 improve on the D2000, and are readily available from AudioCubes. You should also look at Ultrasone HFI-2400 or PRO2900.

The cans you suggested don't really go low enough for me.

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, but extending the bass on the M50's doesn't really compare to the XB500's bass. I really want some headphones with a mostly flat response with an extension to the bass.

I think you're grossly confusing terms here. Extension does not mean impact, and an equalizer does not "extend" response. Further, flat response will not be "bassy" or "basshead" in nature - it will be fairly...well...flat. The M50 are a bit bassier than flat.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Right now I currently own the ATH-M50's and XB500's. I'm looking for something that has detailed sound quality like the M50's, but they lack some bass(to me atleast). I got used to the bass on the XB500's and I'm a basshead, but I also love outstanding sound quality. So, maybe something similar to a combination of these two headphones. I've also been looking at the new Sony MDR 1's and the Denon D2000's, but I don't know if those have enough bass.

Oh, and maybe something with better highs than the M50's too.

Heya,

After reading your other comments, it sounds to me like you should explore a Mr Speaker Mad Dog and get some Stax Pads off ebay to pair with them. Everything you're talking about in a nice planar magnetic package. Flat response, but with amazing extension into bass and plenty of impact, control and texture. Absolutely wonderful closed headphone setup for the cost and competes with flagship level quality.

Basic Mad Dog headphone
Stax Pads

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back