Yo
Oct 14, 2010 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Sil3nce

Lives in Liebesträume No. 3
Alright, I'm looking to get my friend in north carolina a pair of headphones in the 200-400 price range. I'm pretty sure he has a tube amp and decent source but he's using a crappy pair of m50s. Any Recommendations that doesn't include Hd650-Hd600 (apparently dull and not even adequate with amp) Akg K701, Denon ah-d2000, beyerdynamic dt series...
Any suggestion that is mostly subjective and based on hands-on experience will be appreciated.

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 27

Quote:
Alright, I'm looking to get my friend in north carolina a pair of headphones in the 200-400 price range. I'm pretty sure he has a tube amp and decent source but he's using a crappy pair of m50s. Any Recommendations that doesn't include Hd650-Hd600 (apparently dull and not even adequate with amp) Akg K701, Denon ah-d2000, beyerdynamic dt series...
Any suggestion that is mostly subjective and based on hands-on experience will be appreciated.

My HD650s don't sound dull right now ._. I will cede that they require an active listen to really be appreciated. What kind of music does your friend listen to?

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 27
I would say he prefers anything from trance to rnb to alternative.
would a stax sr404 do well for him?

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 27

Quote:

HD6x0 are far from dull when amped properly. And there are a lot of people that prefer the M50 over more expensive headphones.

Oct 14, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 27
and there are lots of people that argue m50s are overrated. personally i have no problems with trying the hd600 or 650 out. people seem to hate on them though on some threads for a bloated low-end and minimal soundstage/neutrality. but i'm not getting my friend one regardless.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
I would say he prefers anything from trance to rnb to alternative.
would a stax sr404 do well for him?

He'll need alternate amplification, unless he wants to use the stock energizer, so I would steer clear of 'stats. Dynamic-wise, why are you opposed to getting him the more mainstream cans?

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 27
Buying headphones for someone else is usually nbot a good idea if they have a discerning ear. If they don't then $200-400 is a waste to be honest. A good $60 will get a set of headphones that no average user has ever heard better.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 27
Not if they're coming from an M50
wink_face.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 27

Quote:
Not if they're coming from an M50
wink_face.gif

Crappy set of M50's  tells me he didn't like the sound signature, or he thinks more expensive headphones = better. Which also leads me to the "Discerning ear" comment I made. If he does have a discerning ear to understand what is good for him and what is not then purchasing a set for him without him trying them will not do his ears justice. We could suggest all day  but at the end of that day we will never know  exactly what he enjoys. We can get close by matching genre with sound signatures but we will never know what he likes exactly.

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 27
so basicly your telling me that was all a smoke-screen...
so why bother commenting if your not going to help out at all.
it's a surprise gift as well so i can't really get him to try it can i?
anything that's better than a m50 unamped is fine with me.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 27
moz-screenshot.png
All the headphones we cannot tell you to get is the reason you are not getting a adequate response. CRAPPY M50's (Facepalm)(X2). If you want something good enough go ahead and get Sony R10's, I hope they fit your talk and price
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 27
hey he said it's crap. personally i have only listened to it a couple of times.

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 27
Let him choose his own headphone, everyone has there preference. He might not like what you get, and if you are unfortunate you won't be able to return them. How about you give him $300 and go out and help him decide what to purchase?

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
hey he said it's crap. personally i have only listened to it a couple of times.

Then he just doesn't like the sound signature, and is the exact reason why he will be the best judge of his own ears. We can say what does what, but only he will know what sound he enjoys,

What doesn't he like about the M50's? Too much bass? Too little bass? Sound detail? Comfort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back