Yet another "Should I buy DT880's or K701/702's or _____'s?" thread...
Jan 22, 2011 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SunnyDaze

New Head-Fier
Well, I'm looking into buying myself an early college graduation / late birthday present in a month or so. I suppose now is the time to start doing my research. 

Currently, I own Grado SR325is set #1667, as well as a set of SR60's. I have G, L, and S-Cush pads (big bowls, OE bowls, and flats) that I swap out now and then for the fun of expanding the soundstage at the sacrifice of detail and that Grado "grit". Also, I own a set of '72 Koss HV/1's that I restored after a long and absurd hunt for a set of impedance matched drivers. 

I'm sure some of you are going to begin bashing me for this, but, I don't own a headphone amplifier. I use the headphone output on my Onkyo Integra P-304 preamplifier. I don't know the specified output power, but, the preamp itself has a high current Delta power supply. It pushes the 150 ohm HV/1's with ease. I don't plan on buying an amp, either. Should I end up going with 880 / 600's, and I find the preamp is insufficient, then sure, I'll get an amp. 

I listen to primarily classic rock. Primarily prog rock glam. I listen to jazz, classical, reggae, drum n bass, hip hop, bluegrass, country, basically, if it exists, I listen to it, but, when the cards are on the table, I've got a rock n roll heart. 

When I bought my 325is's, I decided to buy a set of cans that would make my music "fun". Boy do they ever. If you've never heard The Yes Album on a set of SR325is's, you are doing yourself absolutely no justice. Now I'm looking for a set of cans that won't color the music. My price range peaks out around the $250-275 point. From what I've read so far, the Beyerdynamic DT880 / 600's and the AKG K701's and 702's seem to be what I'm after. Although it's not an absolute indication of how a set of cans will sound, the graphs on headphone.com for the two are relatively flat across the spectrum. 

If any of you out there own any variant of the 880's or 701's / 702's, let me know what you think. If someone wants to suggest another set of cans in that price range, feel free. I'm not even opposed to the B&W P5's.

Thanks for your time. GO STEELERS! :)

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 5
I have the SR325's and love them as well. I recently picked up a pair of K701's and so far I am not impressed. I can tell there is potential but they seem to be very amp dependent and my LD1+ just does not seem to be up to the task. I am debating on getting a different set of cans or getting a new amp so I can give the 701's the power they need to see what I think of them at that time. I figure a second more powerful can't hurt to have on hand, I just hate to have to drop a few hundred bucks on one just for a single pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back