Yet another "Looking for headphones $100-$150" thread
Nov 30, 2010 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

looneytune29

New Head-Fier
I've been trolling around for awhile and decided it's finally time for some advice. I'm looking for some new headphones because my old pair (Shure E3C's) decided to break on me. This is the second pair of Shure's I've had that have broken in the same way (second pair was a warranty replacement for the first), so I'm looking for something a bit more durable, although I did enjoy the sound of the Shure's.

I listen to all sorts of music, from classical and jazz to metal and techno, although rock is probably the predominant genre. I'm going to be using these headphones plugged into my Creative Zen Touch or my computer and I need them to be relatively portable since I'm a student and a lot of listening time will be happening on campus. I would also like headphones with good sound isolation so I don't annoy those around me. I'm open to either in-ear or over ear models, but not on ear. The last bit of criteria is that I have a huge head, so a set of phones that won't clamp down like a vice would be appreciated.

To summarize...

1. Durable
  2. Good sound isolation
  3. Either in-ear or over ear (leaning towards over ear)
  4. Need to work for all kinds of music, but I listen primarily to rock
  5. Somewhat portable (will work with MP3 player)
  6. $100-$150

I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, and I've found the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's seem to have good reviews. I've also heard the RE0's are nice for in-ear. Any advice?

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 8
Since you were a little partial to your Shure E3Cs, the Shure SRH840 would be a good choice for rock music.

They have more bass than the SRH440, even a little more than the ATH-M50 without being overpowering.  They have slightly better mids than the ATH-M50 and just as good highs.  Good for rock music as you said for your primary choice.

At 44 Ohms, they are driven well by DAPs like the iPod.

You can buy them from Amazon for around $160 USD, slightly higher than your $150 limit.  However, I would say they'd be worth it.
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH840-Professional-Monitoring-Earphones/dp/B002DP8IEK

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 8
Agreed, but if you're scared off by the $160 dollar mark, the SRH440 is a damn good can, and a steal for the price. You're looking at a phone with a 40mm driver, gold plated all the way around. Everything looks good with that set...termination, components, it's all great. My only concern is that you said you're going to be running these out of an iPod, and these cans are rated at 44 ohms with ~112 sensitivity. I don't know how loud you listen to your music, but volume could be an issue if you're unamplified.

Actually, now that I've written that paragraph above, I think it's probably worth going to the 840. You just get more phone that way. Solid recommendations all around in the post above mine.

Also, look into the HD448s from Sennheiser. I've heard that phone on numerous occasions, and how it's only $100 is beyond me. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the tips. Does anyone know how the sound of the over ear shure's compares to the in-ear? I'm definitely intrigued by the SRH840, although it is a bit pricey. Is it really worth the additional $90 over the SRH440 (SRH440 is $72 on Amazon and the SRH840 is $160)? Also, generally speaking, how do the Sennheiser HD448's compare to the SRH440?

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 8
Overall, I would say you can expect the Shures to sound a bit more lively than the Senns. If you went with the 840s, you would have quite a bit more in the low end than if you went with the 448s from Sennheiser. Sennheiser I think has a reputation for staying a bit more true to the natural curve--just pure, natural, reproduction of the sound. The Shures will sound more active...it might sound a bit more intriguing. What kind of rock do you like? If you're into softer rock with clear vocals and pur instruments like piano, acoustic guitar, or really smooth electric (think clean stratocaster, if you know guitars...) then the 448s will deliver. If your rock is a bit harder, reconsider the 440s--they might convey screaming guitars a little better.

Hope this helps! Good luck, let us know what you decide! ^_^

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, it seems all signs are pointing to the 440's. I would love the 840's, but I can't really justify the added cost (poor college student). I'm going to do a little more research. I'll be back if I have more questions or if I pull the trigger on a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back