Yes, Another Thread about the AKG K702.
Feb 4, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
I just wanted to say that I finally pulled the jumpers in my LD1+ switching it from low gain to high gain (why I didn't do it sooner) and I gotta say...I now LOVE my 701's. The difference is day and night. No doubt the LD1+ isn't the best amp out there nor the best amp for the 701's...but for <$150 shipped and tubes...it does a pretty damn good job. I am now happy and keeping my AKG's.

Could you describe the way the sound changed? I imagine the improvement would be similar for other typically bright/bass light headphones. I'm trying to get an idea what effect this would have on my DT880's presentation.

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #17 of 19
The biggest thing that improved is the veil was lifted. Mids are very nice and rich. Vocals sound fantastic. Details pop. Highs are bright, but not too bright though there is some sibilance on occasion where I wasn't getting that before. Not bad at all, but it's there. Bass came out as well...extends deep. Not much impact, but still reaches down low. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 19

Quote:
The biggest thing that improved is the veil was lifted.

I think the K701s sound veiled when not driven properly, which is why many people say they sound so much more clearer and dynamic when amped.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #19 of 19
^^^^ This.

Actually, once I found a good amp for the K701, I almost found them to be even more dynamic than the HD800, particularly in the strength of bass impact.  I really think the bass of the K701 is highly undervalued around here -- it may be a little bit light, but it has good quality, impact, and extension.  Better bass than both the DT880 and HD650 IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back