Yanyin Discussion thread
Sep 7, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #1,938 of 2,418
Everything lol
I have it but I want more comparisons specifically against things like Thieaudio

All I have to compare it to is the variations
I used to own the Monarch MKII, I prefer the Mahina for a variety of reasons:

1) The fit is miles better
2) The bass is full dynamic driver, not DD for the sub-lows and BA for the midbass.
3) Midbass is much better on the Mahina, Monarch is too tame for my taste in this area.
4) Monarch's midrange is more aggressive, I prefer the Mahina's mids since it offers appropriate pinna gain without being overly in-your-face.

Hope I helped!

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #1,939 of 2,418
Everything lol
I have it but I want more comparisons specifically against things like Thieaudio

All I have to compare it to is the variations
I have Mahina only since Monday, I'm still burning it. I have had and tried many iems and I can say that it is one of the best on the market.

Compared to the monarch mki it is better in all aspects, much better than the fh9, I like it better than the Solaris 2020, they remind me of the it07 ibasso but without the annoying 8khz peak and also as an itsfit fusion with vitamins.

The soundstage is very wide, it has a very good texture, the technicalities are excellent, the treble is the most detailed without being fatiguing that I have heard, advanced mids with a lot of clarity and a elevated but controlled bass, personally I am looking for a bit more warmth and maybe buy a pure copper cable, but these iems are really great.

Sep 8, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #1,940 of 2,418
Finding the Mix a little warm on the Moonlight so will probably also get the G4. Here's the thing. The Mix cable lets me get away from Complys on my Moondrop S8 and to Dekoni foam which hold up better and don't have as much of their own sig. S8s need a hair of foam tip type of damping in the mids and I think the dekoni still do that better than the Chinese foam or Campfire marshmallow tips do but without the general softening complys have.

It's going to be tough to choose which IEM and I may keep both for slightly different flavors and attributes. The MIX cable has a full bodied sound without clouding anything up. :relaxed: I can see how it's attributes can be missed since it doesn't have a strong sig.
So I keep buying used things expecting them to be run in but it's happened to me again. Put a couple more days on the MIX cable and it's opened up and sounds VG on the Moonlight now. Apparently, it had under 100 hrs on it. The highs are now in balance and it's just a great cable on both the moonlight and S8. :ksc75smile: I'll keep running it in but I wanted to add this here now since I initially though it a hair dark on the moonlight. In this combo, I'm currently enjoying Campfire marshmallow tips. The cable has also helped my S8s so there's not much between them and the Moonlight other than the moonlight having a touch more warmth and the electret top character which is neither better nor worse for me. They obviously don't sound exactly the same but the differences are not important to me in terms of their overall goodness at this point. I haven't decided which to keep but it won't be both since I tune to a preference and not genre's etc. It may come down to isolation since I tend to use these when working on the yard, traveling etc. and even though the Moonlight isolated very well, the Moondrop is completely sealed so...

The Moonlight and Mix cable made me need to revisit the S8 tuning to catch up so know it's really good once voiced to preference.:relaxed: Neither is perfect with S8 still having a touch too much pinna gain though it's the most cohesive multi driver IEM I've heard. Moonlight is also very cohesive but the S8 has special solidity. I suspect most would prefer the moonlight but I listen to my partners mastering all the time so more tight and less 'musical' works for me as long as it is still musical.

I think both are steals and a great majority would prefer the friendlier Moonlight which is much more of a chameleon in terms of being able to voice.

Edit:
Put that cheapish NiceCHK copper litz cable back on the Moonlight and it's my best cable for it (of what I own). The MIX is great on the S8 but a little weighty for my personal preference on the Moonlight. YMMV. I may have to keep both IEMs because the Moonlight is actually more interesting and still ticks all the technical boxes this way(for me). Using Dekoni foam tips on Moonlight and Comply on S8. I don't care for different sigs and these both fall into my friendly neutral wheelhouse now. I'd say natural but that tends to mean significantly warmer than real here. Something the Moonlight can do with a different cable, tips etc but not my personal wheelhouse. Moonlight is easy to tune for warm or closer to neutral. It leans towards added weight and is clearly not bass shy once run in.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #1,942 of 2,418
Does anyone experience their moonlight distorting at high but not ear shattering volume?
Not mine? Stay clean louder than I can listen. They did take a while to break in. Maybe play them at that volume for a day and come back to them.

That said, I think I'm selling mine. I don't use IEMs enough to have this many and I'm having a hard time deciding which to keep. These sound better than what I had before getting them but my S8s are now again their equal. They're a bit more reference sounding but not as musical as the Moonlight and both reveal everything. I listen to a lot of my partner's master recording critically and I'm used to the S8s so will stick with them. Moonlight is warmer, easily as informative and still very coherent. Also easier to get whatever sig you prefer from with tips and cables. I'm just not that into flavors. I'll sell my EE Spartan ADEL and a couple others as well. Just don't get enough use to justify keep them all. Moonlight is better than the rest and at least equal to what I'm keeping, probably better for most. If I wasn't for comply tips and the Mix cable on the Moondrop S8, they'd be on the way out instead.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #1,943 of 2,418
Not mine? Stay clean louder than I can listen. They did take a while to break in. Maybe play them at that volume for a day and come back to them.

That said, I think I'm selling mine. I don't use IEMs enough to have this many and I'm having a hard time deciding which to keep. These sound better than what I had before getting them but my S8s are now again their equal. They're a bit more reference sounding but not as musical as the Moonlight and both reveal everything. I listen to a lot of my partner's master recording critically and I'm used to the S8s so will stick with them. Moonlight is warmer, easily as informative and still very coherent. Also easier to get whatever sig you prefer from with tips and cables. I'm just not that into flavors. I'll sell my EE Spartan ADEL and a couple others as well. Just don't get enough use to justify keep them all. Moonlight is better than the rest and at least equal to what I'm keeping, probably better for most. If I wasn't for comply tips and the Mix cable on the Moondrop S8, they'd be on the way out instead.
It hasn't happened again so maybe something needed to settle? At this point Im not the biggest fan of the Moonlight stock (mids too forward) but EQ'd they sound fantastic! I do prefer a bit more bass though so If anyone out there in the states regrets their Mahina purchase and wants a Moonlight I would up for a trade

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #1,944 of 2,418
It hasn't happened again so maybe something needed to settle? At this point Im not the biggest fan of the Moonlight stock (mids too forward) but EQ'd they sound fantastic! I do prefer a bit more bass though so If anyone out there in the states regrets their Mahina purchase and wants a Moonlight I would up for a trade
I would maybe trade my Mahina for something from Thieaudio or an EJ07m/Kinda lava but not a regular moonlight

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,945 of 2,418
Mids aren’t forward at all once fully run on with selected vable and tips. I can make them take a back seat if desired. I think it may be too revealing (like the moondrop s8) for some. It’s also been a common complaint before fully run in and then people love them. Of course we’re all different and they may never be right for you but if you haven’t put at least 100 hours on them, or even of youhave, play them loud for a night or 2.

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #1,946 of 2,418
Mids aren’t forward at all once fully run on with selected vable and tips. I can make them take a back seat if desired. I think it may be too revealing (like the moondrop s8) for some. It’s also been a common complaint before fully run in and then people love them. Of course we’re all different and they may never be right for you but if you haven’t put at least 100 hours on them, or even of youhave, play them loud for a night or 2.
I'll try it out. I have tried a lot of different EQ settings and have settled on the fact that I prefer a little more energy in the 2-5k than the Moonlight provide, its not a drastic different in sound signature but it helps with the issue I have with the vocals. That plus a bass boosts lets me run them at a lower volume and still get the bass impact I want

Sep 16, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,949 of 2,418
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #1,950 of 2,418
The standard Moonlight has nearly identical response to the almost universally liked Dunu SA6 with approaching top tier cohesiveness and technicalities. Very similar to 64 audio 12
https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=A12t,Moonlight
Also oriolus Tralli
I haven't seen the SA6 FR or heard them but I would disagree on the U12 and moonlight having very similar graphs.

The bass response is quite different, as is the 1-2k region which is what contributes to the forward mids imo

EDIT: just saw the SA6 graph and yeah those are near identical

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back