Yanyin Discussion thread
Aug 3, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #1,726 of 2,418
Moonlight hasn't come to me yet, but I want to sell them already. There are no high frequencies in them. Hurtful.
Just wait for it to come first, then share your impressions, I understand you are like me, prefer brighter sets, I also have some doubts but graph is not everything, some patience my friend.

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #1,728 of 2,418
You have no idea how many unrealistically crappy headphones get five stars here.. If such headphones appear in your hands, then you yourself do not believe that some deaf idiot set them up.
I agree with you on the freebie 5 star ratings but if you actually heard them, you’d realize how good some of them are. You have to ignore a lot of the ratings and reviews and start looking for impressions and ask questions to those who have the said earphone. For the moonlight, treble is refined and it’s for sure there.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #1,729 of 2,418
Just bought the Moonlight today at Audio46 on my break, listening now on my desktop...I was curious because the drivers are similiar to my custom Valkyries except they have 4BA for mids instead of 1 like the Valkyries....I know they need break in, but they sound really nice...it has a 'full', high definition sound. The mids are rich and layered. :)

correction: 2 BA mids, 2BA high,

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #1,730 of 2,418
Lol. What you talking about?
No high frequencies?

Seriously? Cuz I make it be known. I give one of the highest ratings for an earphone with no high frequencies. Cuz I love me some muddy sounds with no high frequencies. Where you getting no high frequencies? Maybe for a 90 year old person but moonlight has excellent treble. No way would I give it a high rating without high frequencies.

Why even use 4 drivers dedicated for the high frequencies to have none.
It's not like you don't have hotter cables than the mix or leaner tips than you chose for it either. Your preferred mating of tips and cable were very much on the neutral side and if anything, those tips hold bass better than most.

Do you have a pair of Moondrop S8 and have you tried them with Comply and a silver cable. It's what I'm using now (happy) but am intrigued by the Moonlight. Still a bit concerned about the smoother character of an electret. Nothing against stats as I was always a fan of early Stax and keep a pair of Quad 57s around at home. I suspect they are texture laden. Crispy enough up top?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #1,733 of 2,418
It's not like you don't have hotter cables than the mix or leaner tips than you chose for it either. Your preferred mating of tips and cable were very much on the neutral side and if anything, those tips hold bass better than most.

Do you have a pair of Moondrop S8 and have you tried them with Comply and a silver cable. It's what I'm using now (happy) but am intrigued by the Moonlight. Still a bit concerned about the smoother character of an electret. Nothing against stats as I was always a fan of early Stax and keep a pair of Quad 57s around at home. I suspect they are texture laden. Crispy enough up top?
This is true, you can use tips that will accentuate the highs a bit more and a pure silver cable. Dont have the S8. No worries about treble presence on the Moonlights. It has one of the best balanced presentations meaning it has all parts of the sound well represented. Treble extension is very awesome on the Moonlight. What the Moonlight doesn't have it an irritating treble spike to make it seem like it has more treble. Instead you get solid detailed treble in all the treble regions including some airiness which is what a higher end treble should be. Love the treble on the Moonlight.

no high frequencies? i recommend the TSMR Sands with the treble switch on. :ksc75smile:

Lol. This and blasting some old rock music. You get a whole lot of crash symbol sun shine. Will make 90 year old enthusiast hear treble for the first time in years.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #1,734 of 2,418
Can confirm it!:ksc75smile:. @alex24rus just give the Moonlight a try first and give us your impressions, you might like it after all! Many folks here enjoying it and there is a reason for that.
They drive for a very long time. Probably they are delivered from China to Russia by horse-drawn carriage. :)

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #1,735 of 2,418
Anyone here got their hands on mahina and are they really just bass boosted moonlight without sacrificing the other frequencies or it’s something else?

I’m seeing this thread and brand for a while really excited to hopefully own one someday. Just waiting for a sale or a good deal on a used unit 😛 as it’s a bit out of my normal range the max I’ve spent till now is my sundara.

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #1,738 of 2,418
This is my first post, so first and foremost, I would like to thank everyone in this thread and amongst the forum in general. It has been a lot of fun reading anecdotes, reviews, and lubing my rabbit hole of IEMs so to speak.

I received my set of Canons on Tuesday and have been loving every minute of it. I have to be honest - as it has been a tough year in particular - I actually cried during the first hour and I wasn't even listening to FLAC files. This was straight headphone - dongle - iphone. Then I whipped out the Qudelisk... I cannot believe how loud these things get regardless. OH the clarity and separation; the goddamn snare drum and cymbals made me feel like I was in a room live with a drumset. Something as bastardly mastered and compressed as Vicarious off of Tool's 10,000 Days sent shivers down my spine and there was little to zero sibilance even at far too loud volumes. I am gobsmacked.

... I also ordered the TSMR Sands (first, mind you) because I am crazy and have spent the last year fantasizing over a new set of IEMs (have had a set of Shure SE215s since 2005). It was only after reading about the Canon that I determined, Hell, why not? Worst to worst I'll sell one of them at the cost of enjoying the hell out of juxting them.

I will report back with a proper review on the Canon and then an in-depth juxtaposition review of the Sands.

Thank you guys.

I'm just glad I spent $$ on music and not squabbling it away on drinks and sushi.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #1,739 of 2,418
You gotta wait a bit @donkashyap , these were just released today. I ordered a set and hopefully secured a Mahina from the first batch, so the wait won't be too long. Will report when I have them on my hands.
Ah ok waiting for your impressions

Well I’ll be waiting a while anyway most probably for sales unless the excitement gets the best of me.

Others who already own the moonlight ( and also cannon which I may step down to if I can’t stretch for moonlight ) I know it doesn’t need much power but do they perform better with amplification. Let’s say an apple dongle/ avani /abhiga type c to 3.5mm vs link 2 bal vs the top tier dongles the ru6/m16.

TIA

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #1,740 of 2,418
You gotta wait a bit @donkashyap , these were just released today. I ordered a set and hopefully secured a Mahina from the first batch, so the wait won't be too long. Will report when I have them on my hands.

I ordered a set too. Hoping I made the first batch also. From what I understand, yes, it’s just a slightly bass boosted Moonlight. Hopefully, just enough to not mess with the tonal balance that everyone seems to love about the moonlight. The graph looks excellent. Will be my first Yanyin set, finally!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back