Yanyin Discussion thread
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #1,741 of 2,418
FWIW (with the Canons) I cannot notice much considerable difference with a Qudelisk over an iPhone dongle; however, there is FAR more capable volume and headroom with the Q, let alone proper EQ etc. Clarity may be increased as such, but it really comes down to the quality of the files you are playing, the mastering that was done, whether or not it was compressed to death etc. (Excuse me, let alone cables and eartips but that is not my wheelhouse)

Some albums or tracks sound amazing, some you can hear how badly they fudged the mix/had poor equipment (I still love 60's Kinks). For instance, the original mastering of All Things Must Pass was laughable, nearly unlistenable on some of the infamous wall of sound tracks. So I wouldn't say that these are forgiving, but hot damn they can tolerate the heat of heavy metal.

I was able to go full-tilt, first ten rows of GA at a concert loud with Tool's muddy Aenima mix and it still didn't distort or reach sibilance. Oddly enough, some Porcupine Tree tracks clipped from the famed mixer himself.

This is without FLAC files.

I just got a new SSD, laptop etc, so I can only imagine how much crisper/clearer it will get with FLAC.

House of Cards by Radiohead... the bass and percussion track made me feel like I was at one of their Basement performances. Truly remarkable bass presence. This was at 120 on the dips.

I was able to go max volume on Master of Puppets and my ears weren't treble severed; I just felt like I was at Gillette stadium next to a stack but ten times clearer.

So far, so mightily impressed and humbled.

Haven't even burned them in; though admittedly, my brain may be fried.

Sorry for the novel,
Cheers!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #1,742 of 2,418
The bass looks very solid. The curve is exactly like the IE 900 which I owned. And one thing the IE 900 is serious about is its bass 😁

Honestly this set looks like a match made in heaven, small form factor (looking at you Monarch MkII, you fat prick, I sold it because of the atrocious fit), IE 900 bass curve, mids neither too forward nor too withdrawn on top of no peaky treble... I'm very curious to get my hands on these.

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #1,743 of 2,418
The bass looks very solid. The curve is exactly like the IE 900 which I owned. And one thing the IE 900 is serious about is its bass 😁

Honestly this set looks like a match made in heaven, small form factor (looking at you Monarch MkII, you fat prick, I sold it because of the atrocious fit), IE 900 bass curve, mids neither too forward nor too withdrawn on top of no peaky treble... I'm very curious to get my hands on these.
Solid as what? The Moonlight?

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #1,745 of 2,418
Well I haven't heard the Moonlight tbh. But based on the graph there is no roll-off at all and the mid bass looks warm enough so as not to be dry. Looking at graphs is different to trying the real thing of course.. But we'll see how this goes!
I just demoed the 900 2 days ago and I was seriously underwhelmed. My $129 Raptgo Leaf sounded better to my ears. But I only listened for a minute or so.

Aug 4, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #1,747 of 2,418
How was the bass? Didn't you like it?
Bass sounded thin to me, but I wasn't convinced by the tip I was using, the fit was off......I wish I could spend time with it on my desktop...

Aug 4, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #1,748 of 2,418
The IE900 has some of the best bass possible in an IEM, especially a single DD - it almost rivals the legendary IER-Z1R. It sounds to me like you didn't have a good seal for sure - especially if stock tips, they are notorious for challenging fit. Likewise treble, it's a V-shaped IEM... buckets of bass and treble - very different to the more balanced and laid back Moonlight tuning.

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #1,749 of 2,418
Listening to the Moonlight, mids seem a tad shouty. Anyone else hear this? Does it hopefully burn out? They only have about 10 hours. Also the bass is really extraordinary...

Aug 5, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #1,751 of 2,418
Listening to the Moonlight, mids seem a tad shouty. Anyone else hear this? Does it hopefully burn out? They only have about 10 hours. Also the bass is really extraordinary...
The general consensus is to burn for a full 24hrs.

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #1,752 of 2,418
Also I wanted to say that I am seriously impressed with the stock cable. I notoriously hate all things stock, but this cable is the real deal, very impressive....

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #1,753 of 2,418
Also I wanted to say that I am seriously impressed with the stock cable. I notoriously hate all things stock, but this cable is the real deal, very impressive....
1659712799522.png

Stock cable is not your standard cable. They are using some graphene in the mix which has some sound enhancing properties to it. I definitely agree it is one of the best included cables I have used for an IEM. So good Penon has decided to sell it separately. I have tested the cable out on some different IEMs and it is boutique level in what it does. https://penonaudio.com/yanyin-moonlight-iem-cable.html

By the way the cable now comes with a gold plating termination instead of silver plating.

Aug 5, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #1,754 of 2,418
1659712799522.png

Stock cable is not your standard cable. They are using some graphene in the mix which has some sound enhancing properties to it. I definitely agree it is one of the best included cables I have used for an IEM. So good Penon has decided to sell it separately. I have tested the cable out on some different IEMs and it is boutique level in what it does. https://penonaudio.com/yanyin-moonlight-iem-cable.html

By the way the cable now comes with a gold plating termination instead of silver plating.
I am having a very hard time believing my $1,000 PWAudio Monile MKII cable is better than the stock Moonlight cable...I'm elated and stunned: It means I can stop buying 1K cables!!!

Aug 5, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #1,755 of 2,418
1659712799522.png

according to the description, the cable for moonlight is the same as for canon. do you know if they are really the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back