Yanyin Discussion thread
Jul 22, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #1,697 of 2,418
They are both excellent but sound different! Kinda Lava has more sub bass and plays like a studio recording and is great for EDM etc, Moonlight sounds more live like you are in a concert with better instrument separation and details. I have both and am keeping them. The new outlier is the Oriolus Szalayi which is kinda the best of both worlds and is also more expensive. My set is still burning in but shows great promise for being my favorite iem!

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #1,698 of 2,418
Returned back to the states to an EJ07M (resin universal) and Xenns UP, and a Yanyin Canon. The same one I sold before, as it happens! I also picked up an OG Tea for a re-listen, but that's still at my in-laws' house.

I've given some listening to all 3, starting with the UP as it was the profile I was most excited for. None of them have disappointed, with the exception of the EJ07M not really doing anything better as a tribrid than hibrids I've heard - case in point the Canon. EJ07M seems to be a great all-rounder, no issues, just not more of a great all-rounder than much more affordable hibrids in the $300 region. And I prefer biocellulose for bass in *almost* all cases, the more I try, the more that's confirmed. Yanyin are onto something there.

The UP is overall a big technical improvement to the Serials with some of the same character. But it's not always a clear improvement, with each outperforming the other in some areas. I was king of hoping it would be a clear improvement across the board and would be easy to go with that out of everything without listening around too much. Don't get me wrong I definitely do love it, and it's and endless relaxing listen.

But the Canon is actually the one impressing me the most. It's one of those interesting situations where if I knew nothing about them, and was asked to rank them by price based on sound, I'd probably say Canon then Up then EJ07M (expensive to cheapest).

Massive disclaimer of course being that I've not given each set *long* at the moment. Longer listening sessions, broader library delves, mental adjustment, listening in different environments, all of that will come into play to easily change these opinions drastically.

I just thought that even as an initial impression during comparisons, it was very impressive in the Canons' favor.

Which only further makes the Moonlight sound more and more like it one day could be the endgame for me that it has been for @KutuzovGambit. We've had interesting conversations over time that show that while our opinions don't always converge, they have often agreed on strong positives.

Edit: I think I was clear but just to add, these are all great sets. This speaks chiefly to tuning and timbre preferences, and diminishing returns. Nothing is “stomping on” anything else here! But the Canon is much cheaper than either, and is easily comparable for performance. The dip switches are a great add on too, I like 000 and sometimes 010, and I don’t have to be stuck with either and I don’t have to swap IEMs for that difference.

Edit2: Also we all know how bias going in can sway our opinion. Well for the record my thoughts going into trying the Canon were “Why did I rebuy this again?” and “Is it even worth trying out after the other two? It’s a tier below for cost and driver tech/inclusion”. So this positive light is even after having negative leaning expectations.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #1,699 of 2,418
Returned back to the states to an EJ07M (resin universal) and Xenns UP, and a Yanyin Canon. The same one I sold before, as it happens! I also picked up an OG Tea for a re-listen, but that's still at my in-laws' house.

I've given some listening to all 3, starting with the UP as it was the profile I was most excited for. None of them have disappointed, with the exception of the EJ07M not really doing anything better as a tribrid than hibrids I've heard - case in point the Canon. EJ07M seems to be a great all-rounder, no issues, just not more of a great all-rounder than much more affordable hibrids in the $300 region. And I prefer biocellulose for bass in *almost* all cases, the more I try, the more that's confirmed. Yanyin are onto something there.

The UP is overall a big technical improvement to the Serials with some of the same character. But it's not always a clear improvement, with each outperforming the other in some areas. I was king of hoping it would be a clear improvement across the board and would be easy to go with that out of everything without listening around too much. Don't get me wrong I definitely do love it, and it's and endless relaxing listen.

But the Canon is actually the one impressing me the most. It's one of those interesting situations where if I knew nothing about them, and was asked to rank them by price based on sound, I'd probably say Canon then Up then EJ07M (expensive to cheapest).

Massive disclaimer of course being that I've not given each set *long* at the moment. Longer listening sessions, broader library delves, mental adjustment, listening in different environments, all of that will come into play to easily change these opinions drastically.

I just thought that even as an initial impression during comparisons, it was very impressive in the Canons' favor.

Which only further makes the Moonlight sound more and more like it one day could be the endgame for me that it has been for @KutuzovGambit. We've had interesting conversations over time that show that while our opinions don't always converge, they have often agreed on strong positives.
I truly believe that the EJ07M or Especially the Lava needs a tube amp to seriously shine or Atleast for me OMG level different. Picking up the Canon soon so I am excited to hear the difference. Cheers J

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #1,701 of 2,418
I'd be interested to know how the Canon, Thieaudio Oracle and Moonlight compare to each other. There's a $100+ jump between these 3 and they seem, at least to me, to be prominent in their own price range, and the ones above them too.
Hi.

We have another pending conversation :sweat_smile: . I can only speak from memory, but I had the Oracles and they did not convince me. As soon as I had the Penon Volts, I sold them. The Volt surpassed them in everything and the Oracle began to collect dust in a drawer. A tuning much more to my liking without the need for equalization, better textures in the bass, mids to die for, and highs with air without being strident (in the oracle, they were in some songs). For me, the Moonlight right now outperform the Volt. I keep both because I still enjoy the warmth of the Volt, but the Moonlight is a delight from the beginning. As I have told you privately, they do not fail me in any frequency range, and the treble has more detail than the Volt. They have a little more detail and are more analytical than the Volt, but the most important thing for me... is that there is no fault detected in any song. You don't put any fault with them and it makes you focus on the real music, which is the fun and the main thing in our hobby.

Jul 22, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #1,702 of 2,418
Hi.

We have another pending conversation :sweat_smile: . I can only speak from memory, but I had the Oracles and they did not convince me. As soon as I had the Penon Volts, I sold them. The Volt surpassed them in everything and the Oracle began to collect dust in a drawer. A tuning much more to my liking without the need for equalization, better textures in the bass, mids to die for, and highs with air without being strident (in the oracle, they were in some songs). For me, the Moonlight right now outperform the Volt. I keep both because I still enjoy the warmth of the Volt, but the Moonlight is a delight from the beginning. As I have told you privately, they do not fail me in any frequency range, and the treble has more detail than the Volt. They have a little more detail and are more analytical than the Volt, but the most important thing for me... is that there is no fault detected in any song. You don't put any fault with them and it makes you focus on the real music, which is the fun and the main thing in our hobby.
That is very impressive, thank you for letting me know, extremely helpful.

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #1,704 of 2,418
Yeah think I made the right choice in getting moonlight instead of oracle or kl now
KL tuning is very good if you have a tube amp give them a try OMG!

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #1,706 of 2,418
what does a tube amp do
Changes the sound signature adds a smoothness a more coherent presentation adds more bass Atleast it does for me.

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #1,708 of 2,418
My review for Moonlight is up - please bear in mind I'm far from a professional reviewer! - as noted in my intro, but I try to convey my impressions as best I can with my passion for music and IEMs! Moonlight is a fantastic set, and absolutely punches above it's price point.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yanyin-moonlight.25905/reviews

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,710 of 2,418
My review for Moonlight is up - please bear in mind I'm far from a professional reviewer! - as noted in my intro, but I try to convey my impressions as best I can with my passion for music and IEMs! Moonlight is a fantastic set, and absolutely punches above it's price point.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yanyin-moonlight.25905/reviews

Looks like a cracking read! Bookmarking to read (and listen) in full later. I’ve heard the X and EXT (and closer to, but still above this price point, the Volt) and am impressed with what Yanyin have managed to do with the Moonlight’s ESTs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back