Yanyin Discussion thread
Jun 21, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #1,472 of 2,418
The main risk is the risk of disappointment, coming from such a versatile performer as Canon.
With Canon, almost anyone can find a tuning they will like, but Moonlight is your typical IEM - if the tuning isn't a perfect match, nothing you can do.
According to previous impressions in this thread, Moonlight is a continuation of the 010 Canon tuning - if that's not your preferred tuning, the risk is high.

I personally plan to wait and see if this hype train is still chugging along around 11.11, unless the price will dip under 500$ until then.
Well. It seems to be a very good all-rounded with excellent rechnicalities. A parametric EQ can do the fine tuning if isn't a perfect match.
Mine arrived last Friday but I was out on vacation until today, so I expect to try it tomorrow.

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #1,474 of 2,418
What dongle dac are you guys using Canon and Moonlight with? Since they are not needing a lot of power I'm concidering selling my dap and getting something simple to go with Canon and if that works maybe going with Moonlight? Will see :)

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #1,475 of 2,418
What dongle dac are you guys using Canon and Moonlight with? Since they are not needing a lot of power I'm concidering selling my dap and getting something simple to go with Canon and if that works maybe going with Moonlight? Will see :)
Apple dongle made me retire my Fiio dap and I haven’t looked back since. I listen between 50-60 percent volume and it’s loud enough for my ears

Jun 21, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #1,476 of 2,418
Apple dongle made me retire my Fiio dap and I haven’t looked back since. I listen between 50-60 percent volume and it’s loud enough for my ears
Apple dongle is more than enough for the Moonlight.

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #1,478 of 2,418
For those who want a good test track for imaging, separation, staging, and timbre, try out this track: . From 4'23, you can hear the...tambourine-like instrument panning from left to right ear but through an arc that extends above the head on my Canon. Really fun!

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #1,479 of 2,418
Well. It seems to be a very good all-rounded with excellent rechnicalities. A parametric EQ can do the fine tuning if isn't a perfect match.
Mine arrived last Friday but I was out on vacation until today, so I expect to try it tomorrow.
The problem with EQ (parametric or any other) is that THEORETICALLY it should be able to take any headphone with good technicalities and turn it into TOTL.
Yet, people keep paying big $$$ for TOTL headphones, instead of buying something 1/2 - 1/5 the price and equalizing it...
I guess it doesn't work in practice as well as it does in theory.

Another problem with EQ is that it makes it difficult to get the same exact experience on every setup you use, as EQ may not be available on some.
Also, switching between headphones is more cumbersome.

When I pay big $$$, I expect the headphone to perform accordingly, without me working extra hard for it.
Canon's built-in tuning system is phenomenal, best I've ever seen.
It has completely ruined my desire to purchase non-tunable IEMs - I bought 3 Canons to use with different tunings instead of buying more IEMs.

Jun 21, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #1,480 of 2,418

I highly recommend FIIO BTR3K - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000849710696.html
Canon sounds wonderful both wired and wireless on it.
There is a 4$ coupon in the first post of the Takstar Pro 82 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iew-impressions-and-discussion-thread.849965/

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #1,484 of 2,418
I only have the Land and Spark. Moonlight treble is detailed but sounds smoother, especially over the Lands.
But in your experience compared to your Tansio Mirai pairs does Moonlight have enough bite to electric guitars, enough energy to cymbals and synthesizers? I guess you got your Tansio Mirai pairs for that energetic signature, so I wonder if Moonlight covers that area for you. I prefer more energetic sets so I am trying to figure out where does Moonlight stand, does it satisfy someone who likes some energetic stuff. Ordered myself Tansio Mirai Sands to try out.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #1,485 of 2,418
The problem with EQ (parametric or any other) is that THEORETICALLY it should be able to take any headphone with good technicalities and turn it into TOTL.
Yet, people keep paying big $$$ for TOTL headphones, instead of buying something 1/2 - 1/5 the price and equalizing it...
I guess it doesn't work in practice as well as it does in theory.

Another problem with EQ is that it makes it difficult to get the same exact experience on every setup you use, as EQ may not be available on some.
Also, switching between headphones is more cumbersome.

When I pay big $$$, I expect the headphone to perform accordingly, without me working extra hard for it.
Canon's built-in tuning system is phenomenal, best I've ever seen.
It has completely ruined my desire to purchase non-tunable IEMs - I bought 3 Canons to use with different tunings instead of buying more IEMs.
Of course you can't convert one IEM to another using EQ. Curves aren't everything, and you can't match soundstage or technicalities. Solutions like wavelet, are very limited. Physical tuning solutions act on the crossover frequencies or, as in the case of Yanyin, giving a small bump to each driver zone. The moonlight has four zones, which would increase the complexity. It would be 4 switches. Equalization is not going to do good a mediocre IEM, but it can give that touch of personalization, which can be done by switches. The bass switch can be simulated with a low self, and you have more control over the db and crossover frequency. It is what I wanted to thicken with my previous message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back