Yanyin Discussion thread
May 30, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #1,307 of 2,418
I did not think the VULKAN was released yet

Oh sorry - should have said, it's not but I was fortunate to get a demo set ahead of launch. I think due to be announced possibly this week.

May 30, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #1,309 of 2,418
That what I thought. How hot is hot and what iems you feel it similar to. Thanks!

Only occassional and with lower quality recordings in particular. I'm doing some tip rolling tonight and getting good results with one of the larger stock tips.

Hmm, similar to is a tough one actually - I guess there are similarities to FiiO FH9, but the latter is more lively tuning and a bigger stage - going from memory as I sold mine... and regret now as I often do! Still early days with it though, just really getting to listen more over the last couple of days.

May 30, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #1,310 of 2,418
Only occassional and with lower quality recordings in particular. I'm doing some tip rolling tonight and getting good results with one of the larger stock tips.

Hmm, similar to is a tough one actually - I guess there are similarities to FiiO FH9, but the latter is more lively tuning and a bigger stage - going from memory as I sold mine... and regret now as I often do! Still early days with it though, just really getting to listen more over the last couple of days.
Thaks

May 30, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #1,313 of 2,418
@Dsnuts could you please compare Moonlight and MEST? I'm facing a decision soon and those are one of the contenders (against Variations and Monarch Mk1 the MEST is winning due to durability and QC atm)

UM MEST in comparison to the Moonlight. Sounds distant with a thinner sounding mids. They have a large wide stage but there are several issues with the MEST. It is one of the most incoherent IEMS in the market. You get 3 completely different tonalities in the MEST in each part of their tuning. Somewhat splashy trebles which is clearly brighter than the mids bands. Mids that are scooped out and then you get the warm full bass end. Bone conduction or not, the OG MEST I kept around just so I can compare what incoherent sounds like.

To be fair MEST is a fun listen and it was and still is very popular in their ever increasing priced variants. I am certain their newer versions are better. UM seems to be reaching for the stars nowadays in the price wars. Folks that can afford them. Thats great n all but. I ain't playing that game. No need to when you get earphones like the Moonlights that actually give you what you paid for.

Moonlight might not have the same big wide stage as the MEST but corrects every part of the MEST sound that is wrong. Mids are a strong suit of the Moonlight and not distant sounding. This is the reason why they don't sound as wide as the MEST stage. No scoop. Treble is smooth yet clearly detailed with the correct tonal character, not splashy like the Mest but sparkly when called for. Bass does not stick out to let you know it is a completely different driver. Moonlight coherence and balanced tuning is how I prefer my earphones. To my ears it is the Moonlight that sounds like the $1500 phone and the MEST that sounds like the $650 phone.

Apparently UM keeps on making revisions to milk that bone conduction. Bone conduction is great n all but give me a properly tuned tribrid like the Moonlight every time.

May 30, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #1,314 of 2,418
I forgot to mention one very critical aspect about Yanyin earphones, even more so the Moonlights.

Moonlight is 8 ohm impedance. I actually got a 4.4mm balanced cable with my Moonlight. This is a case where you might want to reconsider using balance out of your sources vs going single ended 3.5mm.

I noticed balanced on the Moonlight sometimes does not sound as good as single ended. Due to their high sensitivity. Single ended out of most players has the lowest output impedance. Balanced out of most players are double that of single out. Here is were that makes a difference. If I was to fault the Moonlight it would be how sensitive it is at 8 ohms. Even lesser than Aladdin and Canons at 10 Ohms.

In any case. While most modern DAPs and sources have relatively low output. If your using balanced out and mids sounds a bit thinner with a brighter treble try out a single ended 3.5mm cable instead, and always throw your players and or sources on low gain when using these. It might surprise you.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,319 of 2,418
I'm curious - is there a particular benefit to making an IEM with low impedance? Other than "can be driven off a phone"?

May 31, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #1,320 of 2,418
Efficeincy for maximum dynamics and sound quality is what these guys are trying to achieve. But that is kind of a double edge sword. Most DAPs and amps nowadays are so powerful a lot of them neglect the fact that IEMS like the Moonlight don't need or sound right with all that power.

Then we have a clear movement toward balanced connection. I mean who doesn't order their cables with a 4.4mm pentacon connector? Cus these threads will tell you going balanced is so audiophile. More spacious, more dynamic, more of everything right?

shure if your using a 32 ohm IEM but an 8 ohm one? You gotta know what your plugging into your sources.

I am guilty of forgeting about the low impedence of these Yanyin products. I got the Moonlight with said pentacon connection. But have been using the cable that comes with the Tansio Mirai Sands in single ended. Moonlight sounds more dynamic in single ended vs balanced to my ears out of my Fiio M15.

Due to thier efficiency. The moonlight and the rest of Yanyin line up actually turns out better just using single out from your sources.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back