Yanyin Discussion thread
Feb 7, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #2,206 of 2,418
Moonlight vs Mest mkii

So I bought the Mest mkii as an upgrade to my Yanyin Moonlights. The set I bought was used/burned in, but still pretty new. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but so far I actually prefer the Moonlight.

I was immediately blown away by how similar they were. For that much extra $$$ I was expecting a leap in quality and didn’t get it. On the first few hours of listening the differences were so minimal that any small benefit already seemed not worth the extra money. Both sounded better on 3.5 than balanced. And also sounded better with my aftermarket kbear hazy and Nicehck spacecloud cables. (both iems came with balanced cables which I honestly don’t think sound as good with either set).

With more listening. I’ll concede that the slight edge the Mest has is in the bass. Tighter, a touch more depth, and an overall coherency in the lows through mids in general. But the gains are very minimal and come at the cost of a slightly smaller soundstage, less note weight, and most important less detail and coherency in the mids AND treble. Surprising. The mest seems to dip right in the sweet spot for guitars (especially distorted heavier guitars) and hi hats. It almost has a “scooped mids” feel in comparison to how rich and full the mids in the moonlight are. Certain vocals also sounded thinner and this “scoop” loses the coherency in the mids and treble compared to the moonlight. Almost feels like the est and ba’s are fighting a bit, but it’s probably more the tuning.

I ended up using the squiglink auto eq function from 0-200hz and making the adjustments with the PEQ in poweramp to replicate the mest’s bass response on the moonlight (only up to 200hz) and now they’re a mest mkii killer.

I was honestly so excited for this set but I’m a bit disappointed. Glad I was able to test and make an informed decision. I’ll probably let a few weeks go by and see where I land. But I really don’t see much changing.

Just for a reference on where I’m coming from, I’m an audio engineer and do work producing/mixing music (especially heavier music, metal, hardcore, emo, shoegaze, etc but I listen to a wide range of music). Also a touring musician. I was intending for the mest mkii to become my studio set for engineering and production work, and also for listening at home for pleasure. I assumed the moonlight would become my live performance set. Weirdly enough I’m likely sticking with the moonlight for all of it and might just pickup the Aful performer5 for live performance and the gym.

The moonlight is such a slept on iem. Would love to hear from anyone else who has tried both the mest mkii and moonlight. Or mahina.

Quick note on the Mahina, I had previously tried wavelet to replicate mahina’s bass on my moonlights and the results weren’t nearly as good as using the mest mkii for my bass shape template up to 200hz. Maybe that’s more of a wavelet vs poweramp PEQ issue but I sorta doubt that? Would love to hear a direct comparison of the mahina and mest mkii to compare the bass.

Just to clarify, the moonlight has plenty of bass. But after hearing the mest’s specific bass tuning, I did miss it. The differences are subtle and not exactly just a simple boost like the mahina. Luckily PEQ works incredibly well at dialing in the low end. I wouldn’t use it for anything beyond 500hz though because you start fighting the natural tuning of the shell, crossover, drivers, etc. luckily for me I much prefer the moonlights mids and highs.

One last thing… the mest really hurts my ears. The moonlight is so small and fits perfectly. It’s so comfy that I can wear it all day. I can’t wear the mest mkii for more than an hour without it becoming unbearable. The nozzle is too wide and my ears ache after only a short period. It also seems to hit a spot on the outside of my ear that hurts. This is more of a personal fitment issue. But if you have small ear canals like me, the Mest may not work for you. I’ve seen many used sets for sale because people had trouble with the fit. Count me among them.

Also the driver flex on the mest was baaaaad. My moonlight has a little on the left ear but the mest was worse and in both. It seems to be a common mest issue.
Man this post couldn’t come at a better time

I couldn’t find any good deals on moonlight/mahina and a mest mk2 came up for nearly 600$ locally. I was thinking of coping that and was a bit concerned about the mids ( though I think I’ll like the treble more on the mest mk2 by the graph that is ).

Now I’m just confused 😐

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #2,207 of 2,418
Interesting read. Out of curiosity, can you share your PEQ settings? For me, the Moonlight has enough bass and I have not been tempted to equalize it to the Mahina, but nothing is lost to try, and your test is interesting!
Agreed that the moonlight has enough bass. Just enough to feel great without being overboard. For the music I listen to this PEQ setting adds just a tiny bit of extension and definition. It’s more about how it meshes with the entire low end. It seems to clear a little slop and tighten it up by extending a little further and removing some bloat all without losing the low mind punch and overall mid clarity.
In contrast, with the moonlights eqed as mahinas via wavelet, the effects were minimal and if anything it just felt like slightly more bloat and removed some of what I loved about the low mids and overall clarity. This didn’t do that for me. We’ll see if it sticks around but for now I’m digging it.

Attachments

• 0E3C8EE7-FE11-40A8-8A9F-65FEE02C6ACF.jpeg
    0E3C8EE7-FE11-40A8-8A9F-65FEE02C6ACF.jpeg
    661.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #2,208 of 2,418
Agreed that the moonlight has enough bass. Just enough to feel great without being overboard. For the music I listen to this PEQ setting adds just a tiny bit of extension and definition. It’s more about how it meshes with the entire low end. It seems to clear a little slop and tighten it up by extending a little further and removing some bloat all without losing the low mind punch and overall mid clarity.
In contrast, with the moonlights eqed as mahinas via wavelet, the effects were minimal and if anything it just felt like slightly more bloat and removed some of what I loved about the low mids and overall clarity. This didn’t do that for me. We’ll see if it sticks around but for now I’m digging it.
Thanks! I'll try it.

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #2,209 of 2,418
Man this post couldn’t come at a better time

I couldn’t find any good deals on moonlight/mahina and a mest mk2 came up for nearly 600$ locally. I was thinking of coping that and was a bit concerned about the mids ( though I think I’ll like the treble more on the mest mk2 by the graph that is ).

Now I’m just confused 😐
That’s a killer deal and you can always flip the mest if you find it’s not an upgrade for you, like I did. I waited for months to get mine used and still paid quite a bit. I’d say jump on it.

I will say I expected more treble from the mest and it really was sorta the opposite. The moonlight seems to actually have more treble right where it counts on the spectrum for most stuff. Especially non electronic based music. Which was always my question looking at the graphs between the two and seeing the moonlight boost in that 1-2.5k area. I assumed that boost would be a negative but I think it seems to really help with real drums, guitars, etc.

There was perhaps an ever so tiny bit more “air” on the mest mkii with extremely treble based percussive stereo synth parts or other stuff like the pick attack of a aggressively played acoustic guitar. But really that “air” was overshadowed by the scoop in the upper mids/lower treble and I found myself really missing it. Many times I specifically noticed electric distorted guitars felt very thin and wispy. Same with cymbals in some albums.The mids and treble on the moonlight felt overall much more cohesive, rich, and musical. Also male vocalists with a higher range and some female vocals sounded thin on the mest.

The mest did sound overall better on a few specific albums for me. But overall it felt like the moonlight was the clear winner and for the majority of the various types of music I listen to the most. Someone else’s mileage may vary.

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #2,210 of 2,418
That’s a killer deal and you can always flip the mest if you find it’s not an upgrade for you, like I did. I waited for months to get mine used and still paid quite a bit. I’d say jump on it.

I will say I expected more treble from the mest and it really was sorta the opposite. The moonlight seems to actually have more treble right where it counts on the spectrum for most stuff. Especially non electronic based music. Which was always my question looking at the graphs between the two and seeing the moonlight boost in that 1-2.5k area. I assumed that boost would be a negative but I think it seems to really help with real drums, guitars, etc.

There was perhaps an ever so tiny bit more “air” on the mest mkii with extremely treble based percussive stereo synth parts or other stuff like the pick attack of a aggressively played acoustic guitar. But really that “air” was overshadowed by the scoop in the upper mids/lower treble and I found myself really missing it. Many times I specifically noticed electric distorted guitars felt very thin and wispy. Same with cymbals in some albums.The mids and treble on the moonlight felt overall much more cohesive, rich, and musical. Also male vocalists with a higher range and some female vocals sounded thin on the mest.

The mest did sound overall better on a few specific albums for me. But overall it felt like the moonlight was the clear winner and for the majority of the various types of music I listen to the most. Someone else’s mileage may vary.
When I first heard my Moonlights, I wondered how much more I would have to pay to get a little improvement on that sound, and my answer was that it certainly wasn't going to be worth it.

Now... months later, I have ordered a Penon Impact... never say you've reached the endgame!

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #2,211 of 2,418
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do think Yanyin used a different DD for the Mahina, so there may be more differences in the bass than a mere PEQ can do

Feb 7, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #2,213 of 2,418
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do think Yanyin used a different DD for the Mahina, so there may be more differences in the bass than a mere PEQ can do
I can't find any information about it. Someone asked it on the HBB forum but he didn't get to answer. He just said that he had made a couple of requests about the curve to Yanyin. Yanyin is known to use a bio diaphragm. They have been using it in Aladdin and Canon, and had evolved into Moonlight. I remember when I first saw the curve of the Mahina, that subtle difference made me think that they had only changed the filters.

Source: https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/bad-guy-good-audio-rankings-and-stuff-under-construction-part-1/16287/8353

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #2,214 of 2,418
When I first heard my Moonlights, I wondered how much more I would have to pay to get a little improvement on that sound, and my answer was that it certainly wasn't going to be worth it.

Now... months later, I have ordered a Penon Impact... never say you've reached the endgame!
Man that’s 2k. Let me know how they compare

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #2,215 of 2,418

Yeah getting the mest mk2 it’s a bit old but all accessories present and the price got sweeter 550$. If I sell it later for 500$ someone is going to be very happy. Messaged the seller for payment and confirming things if everything is good will buy

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #2,216 of 2,418
Yeah getting the mest mk2 it’s a bit old but all accessories present and the price got sweeter 550$. If I sell it later for 500$ someone is going to be very happy. Messaged the seller for payment and confirming things if everything is good will buy
Update to this bought them 😎

He didn’t have most of the stock tips and no stock adapters though but for the price I thought it was still a good deal. It’s shipped too should be here in few days. Hopefully it comes before 11th as I’ll be leaving the city for a few days.

Feb 14, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #2,217 of 2,418
Update to this bought them 😎

He didn’t have most of the stock tips and no stock adapters though but for the price I thought it was still a good deal. It’s shipped too should be here in few days. Hopefully it comes before 11th as I’ll be leaving the city for a few days.
Did you get your mest mkii yet?

I am still back and forth on whether I’m going to keep mine. Honestly I’m sorta liking them more the the moonlight now but I am tweaking the eq a touch. With the eq tweaked I do enjoy the sound just a little more than my moonlight. Moonlights are a touch harsh in comparison. But I’m still not sure it’s enough to justify keeping them.

Especially with how the mest mkii hurts my ears. Tried lots of tips and it’s just not comfortable. Go any smaller and lose seal and bass. When I get a good seal they hurt after 10 minutes. Moonlights are ridiculously comfortable. I can wear them all day with no issues.

Also the driver flex is terrible. I’m sending them back to musicteck and hopefully getting a replacement set. The right ear is so bad even minor adjustments cause terrible flex and I have to fiddle with them until the pressure is just right or the driver will be collapsed. Really annoying that an iem this expensive would have such a terrible driver flex issue.

Tried a million tips and nothing is comfy. Honestly the stock yanyin small tip is more comfortable than anything else I’ve tried. And provides the best seal and bass.

Anyway, if you’re curious here’s the parametric eq changes I’m using within poweramp. It’s subtle. But basically I’m adding a tiny bit back of upper mids/lower tre me that is dipped out m and then smoothing the top a touch similar to the mest indigo curve. But both adjustments are about 50%. Too much and it gets wonky. It’s just enough to make them sound about perfect to me for what I listen to. And it still sounds like the mest just slightly refined for my personal tastes. Moonlight is real damn good. But can get a little harsh and congested in the treble by comparison.

Attachments

• F422E838-0244-47BD-B68A-496C055A1FCA.png
    F422E838-0244-47BD-B68A-496C055A1FCA.png
    890.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #2,218 of 2,418
Did you get your mest mkii yet?

I am still back and forth on whether I’m going to keep mine. Honestly I’m sorta liking them more the the moonlight now but I am tweaking the eq a touch. With the eq tweaked I do enjoy the sound just a little more than my moonlight. Moonlights are a touch harsh in comparison. But I’m still not sure it’s enough to justify keeping them.

Especially with how the mest mkii hurts my ears. Tried lots of tips and it’s just not comfortable. Go any smaller and lose seal and bass. When I get a good seal they hurt after 10 minutes. Moonlights are ridiculously comfortable. I can wear them all day with no issues.

Also the driver flex is terrible. I’m sending them back to musicteck and hopefully getting a replacement set. The right ear is so bad even minor adjustments cause terrible flex and I have to fiddle with them until the pressure is just right or the driver will be collapsed. Really annoying that an iem this expensive would have such a terrible driver flex issue.

Tried a million tips and nothing is comfy. Honestly the stock yanyin small tip is more comfortable than anything else I’ve tried. And provides the best seal and bass.

Anyway, if you’re curious here’s the parametric eq changes I’m using within poweramp. It’s subtle. But basically I’m adding a tiny bit back of upper mids/lower tre me that is dipped out m and then smoothing the top a touch similar to the mest indigo curve. But both adjustments are about 50%. Too much and it gets wonky. It’s just enough to make them sound about perfect to me for what I listen to. And it still sounds like the mest just slightly refined for my personal tastes. Moonlight is real damn good. But can get a little harsh and congested in the treble by comparison.
You don't seem to be doing much with the PEQ. If anything, you're making the graph more like a Moonlight with more emphasis around 1500hz rather than 3000 peak to 5000 high like a lot of iems do.

Feb 14, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #2,219 of 2,418
Can anyone tell me what brand the stock tips that come with the Yanyin moonlights would be? I’ve tried just about everything and nothing is as comfortable with as good of a seal. I guess they just work for me. I don’t like the material as they tend to slide out when I’m at the gym or doing active stuff. But honestly nothing else is working for me so I’d like to be able to buy more of them in the small size eventually. Or if someone knows something that is very close with a less slick material.

Second question, does anyone know where (if) I can buy the cases that come with the moonlight/mahina/rosemary separately? Hate the mest case. The Yanyin case is perfect and big enough for my dap, ipod, tips, dongles, adapters, etc. I want a second. If anyone doesn’t like em and wants to sell their case hit me up.

Feb 14, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #2,220 of 2,418
You don't seem to be doing much with the PEQ. If anything, you're making the graph more like a Moonlight with more emphasis around 1500hz rather than 3000 peak to 5000 high like a lot of iems do.
Yep. Exactly. Adding back in what I was missing when I switched to the mest mkii from the moonlight. It’s super apparent on metal and distorted guitars. They sound fuller and less waspy.
And a very slight smoothing out in the 3-5k regions which makes the cymbals a bit less thin.

These are tiny adjustments but make a big difference in the type of music I listen to. I specifically said they were small adjustments. Splitting the difference between where the mest and moonlight are in that 2k range and doing the same with indigo and mkii in that 3-5k region.

In that specific area of the frequency spectrum a small adjustment is quite noticeable as it’s in the ideal human range of perception. Small changes can go a long way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back