Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Oct 3, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #676 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Edition 9, Yamamoto and RPX-33. Now my HA-02 has close to 300 hrs break in, the HA-02 has a bit more bass with Edition 9, I still prefer Edition 9 + RPX-33 so far, RPX-33 sounds more "natural" and more transparent with Edition 9.

However, the HA-02 really makes my DT990' 05 and K501 sing
biggrin.gif
I never really enjoy these two headphones as they sound "boring" to my ears, very enjoyable/musical, full-bodied and refined.

Thank's shiosai,

It seems that, as others have also reported, there is a special synergy between Edition 9 and the RPX-33. The only problem is that I have a feeling that the HA-02 is precisely what my HP-DX1000 needs to really shine. Well, well, I can't buy two amps (at least not according to what I've been told by my wife
rolleyes.gif
) so I'll prioritize the performance with my Edition 9's.

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #677 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was listening to my HA-02 last night on my L3000's trying to do some A-B tests vs the DHA3000. I was enduring some horrible hum on the HA-02 through the left channel, so I tried unplugging my diy mains filter cable for a standard kettle plug. Unfortunately it didn't cure the hum so I switched back to the DHA3000.

What you're describing sounds a little like an issue I ran into with one of the 408A tubes supplied by Yamamoto. It is very microphonic and occasionally upon powering up creates some evil hum in whatever channel it is assigned to, currently the right. Powering down, waiting, then powering back up again typically eliminates the hum. One bizarre thing I've noticed is that sometimes I get the slight hum (in both channels) others have mentioned yet at other times the Yammy is essentially dead quiet. I'm not sure what to make of that. I am waiting for Brian at Venus to ship out another set of tubes.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #680 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronfint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what prompted me to buy several 408A's. I had to play around a bit before finding a set that had no microphonics in the HA-02. It was worth the effort, though.

i think i read earlier in this thread that one cannot really tube roll with the 408As...that the differences are very minor. is this true? or have some of you found 408As that make a noticeable difference?

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #681 of 1,351
Fing,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing
Where do you find this stuff Garry?
tongue.gif

For our Brit owners (are there any?), I managed to get this CD within a week or so from HMV, £10.99 delivered.

Very nice tunes but clearly not very refined in my work rig.

Will be interesting to see how this stacks up against The Sixteen's "Ikon" tonight

Ancient Chinese Secret
tongue.gif
- kidding aside, just make sure that I make regular visits to select H-Fi shoppes in town. There are a couple of folks that I've run into since living here whom, IMO, have a good ear for picking out gems that otherwise get lost in the musical wilderness.

When ordering an Almarro A318B for my other office earlier this week, the chaps there introduced me to another gem entitled "Hearing the song - Listening the Silence" (TopMusic TM-SACD9011.2). Story goes that this TopMusic rep was so taken by the Almarro when hearing it in Hong Kong, that he remixed some of his favourite Leslie Ritter (folk singer) & Scott Petito (studio musician) tracks via mostly Almarro equipment thinking he could bring it to another level sound/recording wise. Apparently, the Ritter/Petito duo (hailing from the Hudson Valley - me olde stompin' grounds before coming to HK) are renown for some really unique full bodied folksy music.

Well, not knowing what the original sounded like and having only listened to the CD layer, I can tell you this is one beautiful collection and not just another sultry female voice retread. You can check it out here . . . http://www.topmusic.com/sacd9011.2.htm. Will probably get a chance to hear it over the Yammy tonight and am expecting great things.

Cheers,
Garry

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #682 of 1,351
Kugino,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kugino
may have to look into this CD, too...sounds pretty cool. i can just imagine the amazing soundstage possible with the k1000...

Agreed - I should think that this CD would be tailor made for the K1Ks . . . methinks you'll be glad you did.

Cheers,
Garry

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #683 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think i read earlier in this thread that one cannot really tube roll with the 408As...that the differences are very minor. is this true? or have some of you found 408As that make a noticeable difference?

I haven't noticed a huge difference in sound. (Hey, I'm 62 years old. I'm lucky to hear at all.) However, I did have to play around with tubes to eliminate all tube noise. My amp now has a dead quiet background.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #685 of 1,351
Mitch,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch
Interesting “Drift” in the thread- Music. I think it speaks highly of the HA-02 and it’s ability to present the music.

Interesting and profound observation . . .

Llistening now to the new CD referred to above, I'm thinking to myself "wow, this is real music" and then caught your post. Couldn't have put it better.

Cheers,
Garry

PS - This new CD sounds just fab via the Yammy - if one fancies this genre, I think you'd be in for a real treat.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #686 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronfint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what prompted me to buy several 408A's. I had to play around a bit before finding a set that had no microphonics in the HA-02. It was worth the effort, though.

This is step two if the replacement tubes don't do the trick.

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #688 of 1,351
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tubes-we.html#catalog

This is one place that I have found. No endorsement though only because I have no experience with them. I found this site after I purchased a set of five off ebay for myself in anticipation.

Note that the description of the amp that I got suggests that a balanced pair should be used and that the supplier will provide these when needed.

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #689 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tubes-we.html#catalog

This is one place that I have found. No endorsement though only because I have no experience with them. I found this site after I purchased a set of five off ebay for myself in anticipation.

This is where I bought my stash of 408A's. Good service and very friendly. The shipping costs are a bit high, though.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #690 of 1,351
Yamamoto HA-02 is in the house....

Initial impression is that this amp has an ability to imbue whatever emotion is in the music right into my heart, beautiful music out of the Ultrasone Edition 9s.

P1010021a.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back