Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Feb 12, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #931 of 1,351
If I'm going to be using the amp several times over say a 24hour period I just leave it on rather than running through too many on/off cycles.
The tubes are cheap and from memory Mr Yamamoto mentions something like a 7 to 10 year life span for the tubes in the instruction sheet that comes with the amps.
At that rate I figure the 6pr I have will more than see me out.

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #932 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm going to be using the amp several times over say a 24hour period I just leave it on rather than running through too many on/off cycles.
The tubes are cheap and from memory Mr Yamamoto mentions something like a 7 to 10 year life span for the tubes in the instruction sheet that comes with the amps.
At that rate I figure the 6pr I have will more than see me out.

That's good advice. thanks tuat..

Feb 29, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #933 of 1,351
OK after months of debating, finally got an HA-02 in the house. Quite the looker - belongs in some kind of museum! I'll have more time with it over the weekend, but for now, I'm with Java, sounds good with HD580. Disappointed with the RS-1, sounds thin and no bottom end. Anyway these are quick impressions and I have a touch of cold, so I'm looking forward to longer term listen. Fortunately AT's are readily available in HK so, my cold permitting, may hunt for a W1000 tomorrow.
ha-02a.jpg

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #934 of 1,351
...like it even better on HD650, still no-go with RS-1. Not a good idea to run it sitting on top of CD player! -- low level hum, which goes away now that ha-02 is placed away from CD player. Anyone do a direct comparison between HD650/HD580 vs W1000 off the ha-02? yes, I scrolled through entire thread, but I don't recall seeing direct Senn vs AT.

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #935 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...like it even better on HD650, still no-go with RS-1. Not a good idea to run it sitting on top of CD player! -- low level hum, which goes away now that ha-02 is placed away from CD player. Anyone do a direct comparison between HD650/HD580 vs W1000 off the ha-02? yes, I scrolled through entire thread, but I don't recall seeing direct Senn vs AT.

I am waiting for my Yamamoto amp right now.

As soon as it arrives I'll be using both my nicely seasoned pair of HD650s (long time favorite) and my W1000s with it. The W1000s are new to me, I am listening to them while waiting on the amp to break them in and to become more familiar with their sound.

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #936 of 1,351
Quote:

I have been listening to my 580's for close on 14-15 years ... , I enjoy them greatly, not mad about the 600's, the 650's are better than the 580's, but not enough to make me go out and buy a pair, maybe later when finances are more fluid ...

Senns might have a little smaller "sound stage", and more "body" i.e. a richer, fuller sound than the AT's, and are not quiet as dynamic.

The AT's have possibly a bigger, but a little "leaner" sound, and are more dynamic than the Senn's.

Overall the Senn's win, and not by a big margin either, I'll probably still buy myself a pair of AT phones, the AT's are good, very good, but preference for the Senn's just wins out ... , by a hair, how the cookie crumbles here

The W1000's are very good, but lack a little "body", despite which I enjoyed them greatly, tho I have a marginal preference for the W5000's.

Not had RS1's to listen too ...
frown.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #937 of 1,351
congratulation jimp on your new toy, the yamamoto has the speaker output, i wonder how it sound if u use that to drive the headphone in balanced mode? i compared the w1000 and w5000 extensively on my yamamoto and decided to sell the w1000. they share very similar sound signature, except the w5000 has better soundstage, better bass, sound more refined to my ear.

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #938 of 1,351
Quote:

OK after months of debating, finally got an HA-02 in the house. Quite the looker - belongs in some kind of museum! I'll have more time with it over the weekend, but for now, I'm with Java, sounds good with HD580. Disappointed with the RS-1, sounds thin and no bottom end. Anyway these are quick impressions and I have a touch of cold, so I'm looking forward to longer term listen. Fortunately AT's are readily available in HK so, my cold permitting, may hunt for a W1000 tomorrow.
ha-02a.jpg

It certainly is a beauty! I debated whether to get one; thought I didn't want to spend that much on an amp (was waffling about a Zana Deux), but now have a WA6 on hand and a MAD HD200 on order. Maybe I'll pick up one of these for purpose of comparison? Please post your observations once you have time to break in your new amp.

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #939 of 1,351
java: thanks for impressions - sounds like I may not like W1000 (but still curious to try). For now, I'm Team Yammy/Senn.

minivan: As my Senns are terminated 4-pin XLR and I have a k1000 speaker adaptor, so I did try this. Not bad, but the Senns seem to respond better straight up single-ended (I use a 4-pin XLR to 1/4" adaptor). This will be longer term mission to find a set of cans that sound great out of the speaker taps (it seems hit or miss, I stumbled upon Senns out of an old Bryston integrated amp speaker taps, and results are phenomenal).

bfranklin: wow, you have lots of good amps on order, and I don't have direct experience with them to offer any advice. For me, the HA-02 fits my need for one single-ended, tube amp at a price point that works for me (that you don't tube roll this amp is a huge plus for me).

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #940 of 1,351
OK much better results on RS-1 today, by reversing bowls...nice -- pure mids, no sizzling top-end, still light on bass, unbelievable detail (too cheap to spring for real flat pads, but if this combo has legs, then I will try real flats) [don't mean to open the pandora's box on various pad options for RS-1 -- there are a gazillion threads on this elsewhere, so I suggest this thread not digress there!]

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #941 of 1,351
Jim,

Congrats on your new Yammy . . . looks lovely. " . . . belongs in a museum" - very well put.

Good that you got it away from the (rather tasty) 840C. BTW - how do the two sound together? I can imagine with the detail coming out of the Cambridge paired with the Yammy's sweet sound you must be in mid-range nirvana.

Do your self a favour - go grab some of those Vitamin C horsepills that Watsons sells
rolleyes.gif
to buck you up against that cold and pick up the AT's asap - you won't be sorry
wink.gif

Cheers,
Garry

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #942 of 1,351
let's see, I found kingsound in mongkok advertising new W1000 for hk$2580 (~us$330). OK, found some loose change in the wife's purse (can't take too much or she'll notice), forget the vitamin C so that's some more money, baby's looking a bit chubby these days so we could probably cut back on baby food (and why's it have to be this high-end organic stuff?), and weather is still kind of cool in hong kong so I could walk to work next week (hope it doesn't rain). There we go, enough money to buy the W1000s -- that was easy
cool.gif
. Will venture out to mongkok this afternoon (stick the box under my shirt when sneaking back into the house...what?! I didn't buy anything!)

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #943 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congratulation jimp on your new toy, the yamamoto has the speaker output, i wonder how it sound if u use that to drive the headphone in balanced mode? i compared the w1000 and w5000 extensively on my yamamoto and decided to sell the w1000. they share very similar sound signature, except the w5000 has better soundstage, better bass, sound more refined to my ear.

The consequence of those improvements, is that the W5000's loose some of the dynamics, that make the W1000 standout when compared to the 580's - nothing for nothing, and bugger all for free ... <sigh>

makes life interesting and punishes the wallet ...
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #944 of 1,351
Quote:

ha-02a.jpg

Forgot to ask earlier, what are those "thingies" lying on top of the Yammy by the valves?

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #945 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am waiting for my Yamamoto amp right now.

As soon as it arrives I'll be using both my nicely seasoned pair of HD650s (long time favorite) and my W1000s with it. The W1000s are new to me, I am listening to them while waiting on the amp to break them in and to become more familiar with their sound.

A nice combination of 'phones I think, may you enjoy both, especially with a Yammy on the way ...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back