Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Jan 11, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #901 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyway, i might still be selling my yamamoto soon to help finance a balanced amp (along with my AT headphones...)

Selling the Yamamoto will become one of your "regrets" in life ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #902 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like the second one. How you got the knob and writing in the same DOF. The composition is quite nice too. However, I would of darkened the top half of the image to bring more focus on the in focus area, so to speak. I did a quick and dirty example above. In PS I used a layer in multiply mode and gradient brush.

thanks for the tip...i wasn't worried about the details of the pics as much as i just wanted to show what i was listening to today...

Quote:

Originally Posted by java /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Selling the Yamamoto will become one of your "regrets" in life ...
smily_headphones1.gif

i keep thinking that. but i have a balanced opus DAC being built right now and want a balanced amp to go along with it...and i can't justify keeping more than a couple of home amps and headphones so the yamamoto and the AT headphones will probably go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #903 of 1,351
If you sell your yammy gear we'll miss your company in this thread!
wink.gif

Your post got me thinking, what music do you listen to on the yammy kugino? I'm still kind of leary that balance sources offer a huge different because some of the biggest players in hi-fi offer RCA only pre-amp sections, however, I woudn't pass up going balanced. But I digress, going with balanced headphones is clearly the best upgrade path in this hobby. However, I am so smitten with the performance of the yammy on some genres I couldn't sell it now. However, for rock or techno or larges-scale classical, I think there are better amps out there. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are and wanted to say: YOU WILL REGRET IT!
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #904 of 1,351
Kugino,

Put me down with Java & Wower re: missing the Yammy. Nevertheless, you'll always be thought of as a fellow Yamamotian in good standing around here
wink.gif

Here, here about your input on this thread, as always, it's very informative and dead on IMO . . . And I won't be suprised that, when you've come to your senses
rolleyes.gif
, you'll repurchase one.

Cheers,
Garry

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #905 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you sell your yammy gear we'll miss your company in this thread!
wink.gif

Your post got me thinking, what music do you listen to on the yammy kugino? I'm still kind of leary that balance sources offer a huge different because some of the biggest players in hi-fi offer RCA only pre-amp sections, however, I woudn't pass up going balanced. But I digress, going with balanced headphones is clearly the best upgrade path in this hobby. However, I am so smitten with the performance of the yammy on some genres I couldn't sell it now. However, for rock or techno or larges-scale classical, I think there are better amps out there. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are and wanted to say: YOU WILL REGRET IT!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kugino,

Put me down with Java & Wower re: missing the Yammy. Nevertheless, you'll always be thought of as a fellow Yamamotian in good standing around here
wink.gif

Here, here about your input on this thread, as always, it's very informative and dead on IMO . . . And I won't be suprised that, when you've come to your senses
rolleyes.gif
, you'll repurchase one.

Cheers,
Garry

yamamotian. that's a new one
wink.gif
. i do like the yamamoto...a lot. don't get me wrong. and, if i could justify holding on to it, i would...especially because i think it's the most beautiful amp i've ever owned. and i'm not positive yet that i'll actually let it go...it's just one of those things i've been thinking about. i think one of the strengths of the yamamoto is how it pairs with various AT headphones...but as much as i think they're beautiful and sound pretty good, i'm not a huge fan of their sound. i like them for their soundstage and detail, but i have the k1000, which is even better in those areas.

i'm thinking about going back to the rs1, which i've always loved...and this time doing it balanced. but who knows...i'm not set on anything yet...just thinking out loud. if and when the day comes to sell the yammy...a sad day that will be (but perhaps a good day for someone else, no?)
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #906 of 1,351
after a lot of thought and consideration about my listening habits, needs, etc., i've decided to sell my AT cans as well as my yamamoto.
frown.gif
before i put up the FS thread i thought i'd give people reading this thread a chance to contact me first if they're interested in acquiring one very quickly. so, PM me and i will give you my asking price...which is the same i'll post on a FS thread if no one responds in the next day. NO offers, please, as i do have a number in mind. thanks...

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #907 of 1,351
Hi all,

I love my Yammie, but it honestly doesn't seem to be getting along very well with my W1000s. The sound is detailed, but it seems veiled, especially in the midrange. I'm looking for something substantially more immediate, with much more midrange presence. Any suggestions? I'm thinking RS-1 (my SR60s actually have an advantage over the W1000), but I'd love some other suggestions. The open backed Grados aren't optimal for my situation. I can spend as much as $600 or so used.

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #908 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by lousyreeds1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I love my Yammie, but it honestly doesn't seem to be getting along very well with my W1000s. The sound is detailed, but it seems veiled, especially in the midrange. I'm looking for something substantially more immediate, with much more midrange presence. Any suggestions? I'm thinking RS-1 (my SR60s actually have an advantage over the W1000), but I'd love some other suggestions. The open backed Grados aren't optimal for my situation. I can spend as much as $600 or so used.

Thanks!

Can you add a dedicated line for your yammy, makes a extereme improvement ...

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #909 of 1,351
Java, thanks, that's not an option I'm afraid. I'm using good power equipment, though. I guess it's possible that the cause of this is something other than the headphones, but I'm skeptical. Any headphone recommendations? Do you think I'm one the right track with a high end Grado?

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #910 of 1,351
Quote:

Java, thanks, that's not an option I'm afraid. I'm using good power equipment, though. I guess it's possible that the cause of this is something other than the headphones, but I'm skeptical. Any headphone recommendations? Do you think I'm one the right track with a high end Grado?

Haven't heard any of the Grado's, but I am partial to my HD 580's despite having HD 600's and HD650's for awhile, I like the W1000's despite my feeling that they lack a bit of "body" in their sound presentation, must listen to the W1000's again, after getting the dedicated power line ...

What are you using as source, and what are you using as an interconnect, as the Yammy will bring to the fore any weakness'es in those components, and you could end up blaming the headphones for problems elsewhere ... , and then it wouldn't matter which headphones you have, you would not be happy ...

It is not that the Yammy is "critical" of what is "'feeding" it, but it is exceedingly revealing of what source/interconnect is being used ... , as source ... , I find the Yammy to be essentially a neutral component, i.e. it influences the sound very little in it's own right. Not to forget, that the quality of power being fed it is also of consequence ...

So I am skeptical, that the W1000's are wholly to blame for you perception of their sound, paired to the Yammy, and I have heard them on my own and a friends Yammy, and the sound is very good from both using W1000's.

If your source is good, your interconnect is good, I'd try changing the valves on the Yammy, as a last resort ... , well I'd take the Yammy and W1000's to some one who has better sources than yourself, and possibly a wider selection of interconnects and try it there.

It is of course also possible that you have a "dud" pair of W1000's, not impossible, but I regard that as being unlikely, possible someone "abused" them heavily and damaged them?

That is all I can think of ... , other than by-passing your normal power source ... ,for your source component and the Yammy ...

Hoping you come right ...

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #911 of 1,351
My sources are a Nottingham Horizon turntable through a Bellari phono stage, and an iMod. It's possible than neither one of these, particularly the iMod, is quite in the same league as the Yamamoto, but I don't think they're drastically overmatched. My interconnects are Audiopath silver. I think I'm going to try some Grados and see what happens, but it's possible that I'm underestimating the importance of interconnects in all of this. I would just hate to get stuck on that merry-go-round.

Thanks for your help.

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #912 of 1,351
Quote:

My sources are a Nottingham Horizon turntable through a Bellari phono stage, and an iMod. It's possible than neither one of these, particularly the iMod, is quite in the same league as the Yamamoto, but I don't think they're drastically overmatched. My interconnects are Audiopath silver. I think I'm going to try some Grados and see what happens, but it's possible that I'm underestimating the importance of interconnects in all of this. I would just hate to get stuck on that merry-go-round.

Thanks for your help.

Not familiar with any of your equipment, but try and find out what are the strengths/ weakness of each item, and how they are know to interact with other items in the chain. It is not nice being on the merry-go-round, but if you can listen to some Grado's without having to buy them, by all means grab the chance. My feeling however is that something else is not quite up to scratch, elsewhere in the chain. It is also possible that you don't like the W1000 sound, I know one or two of those as well ...

With so many unkowns, it is very difficult to make any meaningful judgements ...

Hope you find the sound you are looking for ... with the Yammy

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #913 of 1,351
IMO alot of the perceived faults with phones or amps are in reality source problems. Depending on what cartridge you're using with the Nottingham the phono stage could be improved upon.
With the I-Mod the files(ie mp3, lossless etc) will have a big influence on the final sq.

Having used my RS1s quite alot with the Yamamoto plus stock and modified GS1000 I feel the AT phones are a better bet.
I'm an RS1 fan boy but they don't get that lovely large, multi dimensional head stage that the ATs have with the Yammy although if you mainly listen to solo or small combo music that's not so much of an issue.

You may find a midrange more to your liking with either of the other 2 current top ATs, the AD2000 or W5000.
With my sources both sound a little more forward not just in the mids but right across the range than the W1000s. However I find the latter to have a bigger sound stage and to to me sound warmer in the mids which you could see as being more veiled.

If you're a Grado fan then I don't feel you'd be disappointed with an RS1/Yamamoto combo but I don't think its the right amp for the GS1000.

AS Java has said in earlier posts you may need to examine other links in the audio chain before condemning the W1000s . Good luck.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #914 of 1,351
Quote:

I think I'm going to try some Grados and see what happens, but it's possible that I'm underestimating the importance of interconnects in all of this. I would just hate to get stuck on that merry-go-round.

You are already on the Merry Go Round, the problem is getting you off with as little damage to your wallet, as possible, and leaving you with total audio satisfaction and gratification ...

My feeling is that the Yamamoto and W1000's should get you there, bar the nit picking ... , as I mentioned before, and tautara says much the same in support, I feel/fear, you are hearing the limits/lack of ability in your source components ...

Best of luck ...

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #915 of 1,351
Wise words from you both. The iMod is playing only lossless files. The cartridge on the Nottingham is a Grado Sonata, and I find the sound from the TT to be significantly better than that from the iMod. I suppose it's possible that I've just maxed out the sound from the iMod, though perhaps a change of interconnect is in order. I should be receiving a pair of RS-1 in the next few days. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back