Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Aug 31, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #466 of 1,351
Eh I put in a Magic Reference cable from Signal cable and the hum seems to have gone away. (40 bucks used).

Aug 31, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #467 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh I put in a Magic Reference cable from Signal cable and the hum seems to have gone away. (40 bucks used).

This is their power cable right? Or RCA cables?

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #469 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of cables for the Yamamoto; I was looking at upgrading my ICs. I have the lower model 6N-A2110II Acrolink RCAs now and really like them.
Now I'm looking at 6N-A2400II which is x5 the cost. Oddly enough, this costs as much as the Nordost Red Dawn (which I liked) in Japan, just a tad over 45,000 Yen. Though TTVJ.com has the Red dawn listed at half that. I feel like Homer Simpson: What should I do? What are other's using? Cables as much as the unit itself?

Not having heard any of these cables makes it difficult, but I was using Van den Hul, "The First" all carbon fibre cable, which when I got it 12 odd years ago, was maybe not the very best, but was a very highly regarded interconnect. An when going from it to the Genesis Triton's I now have, well it sounded like I was previously with "The First", trying to push 2 inches of water thru a 1/4 inch pipe, and with the introduction of the Genesis Triton, that I was now pushing 2 inches of water thru a 2 inch pipe, the gain in transparency was that great.

So don't short change yourself, when it comes to cable interconnect with the Yamamoto, it is more than good enough to pass on the benift of a very good, very transparent interconnect.

Here the Yammy cost me about $1200 all taxes, and customs duties included, i.e. total cost. The Genesis Triton costs an estimated $850 ... for a meter lentgh.

Now saving funds for a second 1 meter pair, and then a better cartridge for my turntable.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #470 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good news for me.

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #471 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by java /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So don't short change yourself, when it comes to cable interconnect with the Yamamoto, it is more than good enough to pass on the benift of a very good, very transparent interconnect.

Van Hul are no slouch of a company but that is exactly the type of information I wanted. Thank you very much. Do you happen to know if your current Genesis Triton ICs are solid copper core or multi strand??? Anything about power cords is also greatly appreciated.

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #472 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Van Hul are no slouch of a company but that is exactly the type of information I wanted. Thank you very much. Do you happen to know if your current Genesis Triton ICs are solid copper core or multi strand??? Anything about power cords is also greatly appreciated.

They are, silver plated copper multi stranded wire, and so far all my power cables have good shielding, which floats at the component, and is connected at the plug. i.e. the shield is connected at the 15 amp wall plug, and not connected at the the kettle plug end. My current power cable is made by Audio Quest, but I am arranging to loan a power cable made by the same bloke who makes the Genesis Triton, for my CD Player and Headphone amp ...

When it comes to interconnect, buy the best you can, and I must say it is almost a MUST that you listen to them before hand, to a set that is known to be well burnt in, 50 hours at least ...

Sep 1, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #473 of 1,351
Hey everyone.

I haven't looked through all 24 pages of this thread, but the HA-02 does highly interest me. I've noticed people mention (and complain a little) about tube rolling possibilities. But has anyone explored modding potential of this amp?

From the internals pictures on 6moons, the circuit seems very simple. To my eyes, the most upgradeable component is the big B+ cap which is a relatively cheapo Sprague 35mm electrolytic. A high quality replacement would probably be of lesser capacitance, but I'd bet the smaller 47uF 250V caps are secondary stage filtering (RC network), so you may not get a significant rise in hum from a cap upgrade. Of course, your choices for this cap are limited - Black Gate WKZ series, Cerafine (if you can find them anymore), JJ and Jensen come to mind. If you choose carefully, you wouldn't even need to modify the mounting system. In my experience, the Sprague is kind of muddy sounding, is certainly not my first choice of B+ cap.

Then you have those 47uF 250V caps. Also the big snap-in cap, which is probably for the heater supply, I'm guessing. I can't see any cathode bypass caps, but what are those axial caps on-end? Lastly, do I see a diode network right next to the tube? Surely that's not for rectification - maybe series zeners for one of the screens?

Lastly, it's not clear how accessible the volume pot is, but seeing it's probably a resistive pot it would be interesting to know if you could hook up a great stepped attenuator like the Tokyo Optics.

It would be great to know your thoughts.

Sep 1, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #474 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by he46570 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone.

I haven't looked through all 24 pages of this thread, but the HA-02 does highly interest me. I've noticed people mention (and complain a little) about tube rolling possibilities. But has anyone explored modding potential of this amp?

From the internals pictures on 6moons, the circuit seems very simple. To my eyes, the most upgradeable component is the big B+ cap which is a relatively cheapo Sprague 35mm electrolytic. A high quality replacement would probably be of lesser capacitance, but I'd bet the smaller 47uF 250V caps are secondary stage filtering (RC network), so you may not get a significant rise in hum from a cap upgrade. Of course, your choices for this cap are limited - Black Gate WKZ series, Cerafine (if you can find them anymore), JJ and Jensen come to mind. If you choose carefully, you wouldn't even need to modify the mounting system. In my experience, the Sprague is kind of muddy sounding, is certainly not my first choice of B+ cap.

Then you have those 47uF 250V caps. Also the big snap-in cap, which is probably for the heater supply, I'm guessing. I can't see any cathode bypass caps, but what are those axial caps on-end? Lastly, do I see a diode network right next to the tube? Surely that's not for rectification - maybe series zeners for one of the screens?

Lastly, it's not clear how accessible the volume pot is, but seeing it's probably a resistive pot it would be interesting to know if you could hook up a great stepped attenuator like the Tokyo Optics.

It would be great to know your thoughts.

See that these are hand built much like those in the US why not email the builder and ask these questions?

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #475 of 1,351
I'm a bit lost in all your EE talk but I did ask Shige-san about modding and my impression was that he was too busy with orders to do custom work on these headphone units. Maybe if someone names the right price.

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #476 of 1,351
As far as I am concern I am keeping this designer piece in original condition.

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #477 of 1,351
"As far as I am concern I am keeping this designer piece is original condition."

Part of my desire to buy a Yamamoto was to have the assembly done by Yamamoto. I have the A-08S and wouldn’t consider modifying it in any way. The assembly was as much a work of art as the amp.

2_hero1.jpg

2_hero3.jpg

strip8.jpg

Ask if they sell a kit version of the HA-02. I know the other Yamamoto amps come as kits.

I think I want to get this preamp:

CA-04-1-web.jpg

Damn I forgot about the pre-amp. Then looking for assembly pictures I stumble across it.

Mitch

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #478 of 1,351
Slwiser,

Quote:

X2 - Shudder The thought of me or anyone taking a screwdriver any where near my Yammy - I shall protect her with honour!

Braillediver,
Your A-08S is absolutely lovely
dribble.gif
as is the CA-04
dribble.gif
. At only 2W/channel, you must have some seriously efficient speakers. From all accounts the A-08S sounds delightful - have you gone with the stock tubes or something like the EML 45's?

Thanks for sharing pics of your gorgeous kit and hope it gives you many years of enjoyment.

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #479 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"As far as I am concern I am keeping this designer piece is original condition."

Part of my desire to buy a Yamamoto was to have the assembly done by Yamamoto. I have the A-08S and wouldn’t consider modifying it in any way. The assembly was as much a work of art as the amp.

2_hero1.jpg

2_hero3.jpg

strip8.jpg

Ask if they sell a kit version of the HA-02. I know the other Yamamoto amps come as kits.

I think I want to get this preamp:

CA-04-1-web.jpg

Damn I forgot about the pre-amp. Then looking for assembly pictures I stumble across it.

Mitch

That's seriously good looking gear, I'd love to have those amps with a pair of the Yamamoto speakers but I dont use my speaker setup enough to justify the cost.

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #480 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Likewise. With a piece like the Yamamoto you're getting one mans vision of excellence, you either share that vision or go else where.
Modding the amp would be like buying a painting then deciding to get out your paints and make a few adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back