Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02
Sep 2, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #482 of 1,351
Hi,
I just purchased a used HA-02 and I'm looking forward to receiving it. Normally I would not bother others by posting this drivel, but I have noticed that I will not be able to use the buy/sell forums until I have 50 posts, and I might want to use them at some time. My apologies!

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #483 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronfint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I just purchased a used HA-02 and I'm looking forward to receiving it. Normally I would not bother others by posting this drivel, but I have noticed that I will not be able to use the buy/sell forums until I have 50 posts, and I might want to use them at some time. My apologies!

That is easily remedied, go to the music forum, and post the tracks you are currently listening too, as you listen too them, and you should be able to fix that malady inside a week.

Enjoy your Yamamoto when you get it ...
icon10.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #485 of 1,351
Quote:

java,

Thanks very much for your suggestion. Wow, I guess this counts as a post, too! (I'm now in double figures.)

It also helps people know you if you give a little bit of general information in your profile, like what equipment you have and what music you enjoy listening to and other hobbies. Helps also in understanding where you may be coming from when you do make impressions or opinions.

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #486 of 1,351
Quote:

OK -- here goes: Sometime I'll put this in my profile.

Headphones: Home - W5000, HD580 (woodied and Zu-cabled), HA-02, Dac in future, fed from iTunes on Macbook Pro or ipod below.

Travel - UE10, Xin SMIV and mini, imodded 60gb iPod

Living room system - Turntable and tonearm: Immedia RPM2; cartridge: Lyra Titan; Preamp: CAT Ultimate; Amp: Art Audio Jota Monos, Speakers: Verity Parsifal Encores; Cabling: All by Zu Cable. +around 5000 LPs, 80% classical, 20% jazz.

That even gave you another post in your count. This response also me one as well.

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #487 of 1,351
Just post a review when you get the HA-02. Or do like edwood and post the color of you bowel movements and other important observations- next thing you know you'll be at 10,000 and climbing.

Mitch

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #489 of 1,351
Hi Livy,

Quote:

my HA-02 was shipped on last friday (8/31) by EMS, hopefully it will be here within a week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great news! Looking forward to your impressions
cool.gif

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #490 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the Yamamoto compare to the Opera?

There seem to be a few memebers who have both amps listed in their profiles, so please, what are the differences/similarities between the Yamamoto and the Opera?

I was originally trying to decide between the Opera and a RPX-33 but this tube amp looks really interesting as well.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #491 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my HA-02 was shipped on last friday (8/31) by EMS, hopefully it will be here within a week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Excellent. Can mine be far behind? Maybe two weeks, the middle of Sept might do it. Maybe I still will have my AT-HA5000 to do a three way shoot-out including the David Berning microZOTL.

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #492 of 1,351
Hi Lamprologus

Quote:

There seem to be a few memebers who have both amps listed in their profiles, so please, what are the differences/similarities between the Yamamoto and the Opera?

Here's some brief thoughts about the these two amps that I've shared with other members . . .

Quote:

Before responding back to you immediately, I took some time yesterday to listen to some bass laden music over the W5000s with both the Opera and Yamamoto again so as to provide you with a fresh perspective. Although your question focussed on how each amp's bass performance with the W5000s, my thoughts below reflect my take on each units overall characteristics individually with some comparitive comments as well. This being as I believe it important to cast as accurate of a picture on the whole sound as possible to hopefully provide you with a more thorough perspective. Here goes . . .

Opera

Sound

Great rythm and timing. Clear, detailed midrange. Snappy and taut bass - definitely sufficient to tame any perceived bass looseness the W5000s exhibit. Good soundstage depth for SS, a bit more than other SS, one that approaches tubes. Voices, strings, pianos are nicely defined.

The Opera is about as neutral (but not cold) a SS amp as you can find. Bass control is certainly a strong point. Using the 5000s with the Opera, one might think this is not the case. However, due to the W5000s being mid-range monsters, the bass is not necessarily lacking just, in my opinion, less prominent vis a vis, say, the Senns 650s or AKG 701s, et al.

Build quality / Options

Super build quality. Dual impedence jacks are a nice touch. Built in DAC, gain selection, crossfeed, and preamp option, make this one tough product to beat from a VFM standpoint.

Yamamoto

Sound

Rythm and timing are great. Midrange clarity eye-opening. Endless decay that will add more dimension to music - a major strong point for the Yammy. Bass snap and definition very good, especially so for tubes. It has very noticably improved in this area with use. More so than I expected and thought possible - even the W1000s sound better bass-wise. Voices are extremely natural. Strings, pianos, wind instruments are very, very fluid and lifelike.

Seperation of individual instruments - another major strong point. Well recorded music has an unusual degree of dimension not normally associated with cans.

Build quality / Options

Exquisite - hand made, bespoke attention to detail not seen at this price or multiples thereafter for that matter. This is a piece that grows on you more and more over time. Options are limited, although it has a second set of inputs for iPod or the like type device - a nice touch. In addition, it can be used as a SET amp with very high efficiency speakers.

Summary

Not sure if you're a car guy, however, perhaps the best way for me to sum up the individual character / essence of these two wonderful amps would be to catergorize the Yammy as a Lexus, with the Opera akin to an Audi if that makes sense.

Addressing your main concern, I honestly thought that the Opera was going to kill the Yammy bass wise, however, in reality, it was a lot closer than expected. In fact, on certain tracks, it was a toss up. This was a good exercise as it revealed and/or reminded me of the W5000s exceptional balance. Owning both the Senns 650s and AKG 701s, both exhibit very prominent bass vis a vis the W5000s, one could easily get the impression of the bass lacking. However, I now believe that there is really nothing lacking, but just great tonal balance that the W5000s exhibit over the whole range. Suffice it to say, I have come to believe that the "correct" bass found the W5000s takes some getting used to.

The $64K question

Ahhhh . . . which one???

If you only have one set of phones and don't care for or anticipate the need for the options found in the Opera, for my tastes, I'd go with the Yamamoto.

To be clear, overall, focusing solely on the bass, the Opera has the edge and handles the W5000s slightly better. However, to me, the overall sonic picture is just too important to overlook and not worth the "extra" bass performance. That said, I believe the Opera might work better over a wider array of cans and is easily most balanced SS I've come across. Truly a SS amp that a tube lover would like.

Lastly, the Yammy and ATH's have exceptional synergy - something that I originally dismissed but do so no longer. Assuming your CD collection is not heavily weighted towards rap or heavy metal - my vote is for the Yammy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #493 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Lamprologus
Here's some brief thoughts about the these two amps that I've shared with other members . . .
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Garry

I hope the Yamamoto has as much bass as my AT-HA5000 with the timbre at least as good as Berning microZOTL.

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #494 of 1,351
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Lamprologus

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Garry

Thank's Garry,

That was very helpful. I don't have any of the AT woodies so for me the Opera is perhaps a better option?

It will however be very interesting to learn what slwiser thinks of his Ed9's (these are on my list) with the Yamamoto.

Sep 3, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #495 of 1,351
Lamprologus,

Quote:

That was very helpful. I don't have any of the AT woodies so for me the Opera is perhaps a better option?

You're welcome. Not sure, but perhaps your Denons might do well with the Yammy? Of course, if you're preference is SS over tubes, then yes, the Opera would be the way to go.

Quote:

It will however be very interesting to learn what slwiser thinks of his Ed9's (these are on my list) with the Yamamoto.

Agreed - no doubt his comments will help narrow things down for you a bit.

The best thing is that, either way, you can't go wrong.

Cheers,
Garry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back