Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Jan 21, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #511 of 1,563
Looks like my luck is kickin in, because the regular edition fits my chain and I will be able to save $1000 bucks. I am not a big fan of suede pads only because it gets dirty easily. Sound quality wise, I don’t have a problem with suede pads. But I do hope you will be able to buy the official pads separately.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #512 of 1,563
Sounds like these are perfect with tubes, I look forward to going to Japan and have these in my agenda

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #514 of 1,563
Sounds like these are perfect with tubes, I look forward to going to Japan and have these in my agenda

Based on the 34 ohm impedance, my experience with using most (not all, though) tube amps in conjunction with lower-impedence headphones isn't as positive. Bass becomes too loose and bloomy for my taste.

OTLs are definitely off-limits, in my opinion, with a design like this. But something like the UltraSonic Odyssey might wind up being a good tube match with these Yamahas.

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #515 of 1,563
Based on the 34 ohm impedance, my experience with using most (not all, though) tube amps in conjunction with lower-impedence headphones isn't as positive. Bass becomes too loose and bloomy for my taste.

OTLs are definitely off-limits, in my opinion, with a design like this. But something like the UltraSonic Odyssey might wind up being a good tube match with these Yamahas.
That's true for OTLs, but most transformer coupled tube amps should drive this just fine.

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #517 of 1,563
One month has passed since the first shipment of YH-5000SE.
Interestingly, not a single used item is for sale in any internet auctions or second-hand category of audio shops in Japan (and, most probably, anywhere in the world).
However, the impression of auditioning is still diverse: the majority is positive, but I can also find negative reviews.

There are several hypotheses to explain this.
a) The number of the first lot was minimal (such as ten sets or so)
b) The owners' satisfaction is very high (by luck or as a result of careful auditioning before preordering)
c) Some have already decided to sell but waiting for the best time

I should explain c).
Currently, no item is available on the market. The next shipment is likely later than late February. So if you can sell YH-5000SE, it is a "monopoly" for the time being. No competition. You can sell the one at a monopoly price = possible expense of the person whose willingness to pay is the highest. It can even exceed MSRP. (kind of investment!)

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #518 of 1,563
Currently, no item is available on the market. The next shipment is likely later than late February. So if you can sell YH-5000SE, it is a "monopoly" for the time being. No competition. You can sell the one at a monopoly price = possible expense of the person whose willingness to pay is the highest. It can even exceed MSRP. (kind of investment!)

it seems that based on this logic, now is the best time (before next shipment), so waiting to sell doesn't seem like a good idea. If one wanted to sell, now would be the time..?

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #519 of 1,563
so waiting to sell doesn't seem like a good idea. If one wanted to sell, now would be the time..?
Good point. You're correct; the hypothesis is applicable only before the next shipment. In addition, the date of the next shipment became open only very recently and has often changed. It varies by retailer. No official announcement from Yamaha. This factor may affect the attitude of the sellers.
Well, honestly, I do not think c) is true. It is just a theoretical MECE listing.

I found another hypothesis.

d) it is too difficult to judge the performance of YH-5000SE because it is very sensitive to coupled devices. They are still in the try-and-error process.

Jan 22, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #520 of 1,563
Good point. You're correct; the hypothesis is applicable only before the next shipment. In addition, the date of the next shipment became open only very recently and has often changed. It varies by retailer. No official announcement from Yamaha. This factor may affect the attitude of the sellers.
Well, honestly, I do not think c) is true. It is just a theoretical MECE listing.

I found another hypothesis.

d) it is too difficult to judge the performance of YH-5000SE because it is very sensitive to coupled devices. They are still in the try-and-error process.

yea, that makes sense. unless something is really off, it takes a couple of weeks or more to form an opinion on such a serious purchase!

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #521 of 1,563
Interestingly, not a single used item is for sale in any internet auctions or second-hand category of audio shops in Japan

Ah… just today, the first one appeard in Yahoo Auction and was sold in a minute. Hammer price: 450,000 JPY (= 10% discount from retail price).

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x1079408133

The seller bought it in Fujiya-avic, compared SUSVARA and YH-5000SE, and decided to sell later because Yamaha is too "speaker-like" while he/she prefer more "headphones-like" sound.

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #522 of 1,563
Yamaha announced two new models in their headphone linup, YH-E700B and YH-L700A. However, unfortunately both of them are digital technolgoy models and not an audiophile headphone. E700B is an around-ear type wireless ANC model (like WH-1000X4 of Sony), exptected price is 44,000JPY (=340$). L700A is for home-theater use whose price will be around 66,000JPY (=510$).

Yamaha Official (Japanese)
https://jp.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/headphones/yh-e700b/index.html
https://jp.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/headphones/yh-l700a/index.html

PhileWeb (Japanese)
https://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/202301/24/57361.html
https://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/202301/24/57362.html

Still we should waite for a younger brother of YH-5000SE.

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #523 of 1,563
Sorry to be off topic but figured would be cool to post a demo of Yamaha's flagship speakers that I just did.

:)

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #524 of 1,563
[Breaking]

Non-SE version, YH-5000(B) appeared in Joshin webshop.

https://joshinweb.jp/sound/37756/4957812680561.html

The price is 385,000 yen (icl. tax)
Cable : 4.4mm
Pads : suede

(The photo is same as YH-5000SE. The pads on the photo are sheep skin. so either this info or the photo is wrong)

So far, no other shops show this package.

The web page of YH-5000(B) was deleted one week after the appearance.

Suppose it was disclosed too early by some mistake on Joshin's side because Yamaha and any other shops have not mentioned the non-SE version so far.
Or, it can be a kind of market research by leaking the info and seeing the reaction of the user community. (For a mistake, it took a bit long before deleting the page). Like here, head-fi forum, Japanese Twitter users showed their opinion about the choice of accessories. Some said the cable should be 6.3mm, others said 4.4mm is understandable because DAPs and less expensive amps often have a 4.4mm jack in addition to 3.5mm, etc. If I were Yamaha's marketing staff, such a reaction would be valuable for deciding on final packaging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back