Yamaha YH-5000SE — a flagship from an orthodynamic headphones veteran!
Feb 2, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #542 of 1,563
Yes, but the yh5000se is the coolest looking overears bar non 😃 with very light weight and superb wearing comfort, that's a very important factor too.
Can’t argue with that… 🤷‍♂️🤣

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #543 of 1,563
Just saw a 2nd hand sn-1 and looks interesting too

SN-1! ONKYO's heritage headphone!

I have tried both SN-1 and wm90. Both of them are interesting wooden headphones by Japanese audio makers (not only audio-technica!). SN-1 has very unique treble-centered sound character which reminds me AKG k701. I like its delicate resonance of the "Kiri" wood housing and fitting of the Alcantara pads. WM90 has richer bass and warm sound signature, and it is actually for mobile use (closed-back design, compact case, swivel mechanism, only a short 3.5mm cable is bundled). The AquaTimber housing is also beautiful.

It is regrettable that SN-1 is discontinued and ONKYO Home Entertainment has gone, but Yamaha's enter to the high-end headphone market is a pleasant event as a Japanese music lover. They say ex-Onkyo engineers are hired by new OTKK (owned by PAC and SHARP). Hope some day they develop SN-2 or something like that.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #544 of 1,563
SN-1! ONKYO's heritage headphone!

I have tried both SN-1 and wm90. Both of them are interesting wooden headphones by Japanese audio makers (not only audio-technica!). SN-1 has very unique treble-centered sound character which reminds me AKG k701. I like its delicate resonance of the "Kiri" wood housing and fitting of the Alcantara pads. WM90 has richer bass and warm sound signature, and it is actually for mobile use (closed-back design, compact case, swivel mechanism, only a short 3.5mm cable is bundled). The AquaTimber housing is also beautiful.

It is regrettable that SN-1 is discontinued and ONKYO Home Entertainment has gone, but Yamaha's enter to the high-end headphone market is a pleasant event as a Japanese music lover. They say ex-Onkyo engineers are hired by new OTKK (owned by PAC and SHARP). Hope some day they develop SN-2 or something like that.
Totally agreed! I just bought the 2nd hand sn-1 as i read there's only 30 pairs made. It's too light on bass for my taste but the built is very good and also render details quite well.

I already dropped the idea to get wb2022 (not really better sounding to solitaire T or 5909 and only usb-c connector with 9hrs battery life) but still on the fence whether to get wm90 - the mid-bass is of very good quality and I'm most impressed by it in my visit to e-earphone 😬

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #545 of 1,563
I found several twitter posts reporting arrival of the second shipment. @HP_plus_EP said the serial number was over 100. The shipment of the first lot began 23 Dec. We do not know exact number of the 1st and 2nd lot, though, I guess the production capacity can be around 3-5 sets per day.
In addition, the user, HP_plus_EP's first impression was "gentle-to-body monitor".

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #547 of 1,563
Man, all that money spent for R&D and Yamaha still can't provide a FR of their finished product ?

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #550 of 1,563
Althought I love Yamaha, I totally agree that all HPs companies should provide the FR of headphones, at least the flagship ones. But sadly, most of the brands don't do it.
What would you have to say to a performance car manufacturer? Most of them provide numbers 0-60 in x seconds but non of them post videos showing how fast it can go?? Similarly headphone manufacturers provide FR range but no visual data in most cases.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #551 of 1,563
What would you have to say to a performance car manufacturer? Most of them provide numbers 0-60 in x number of seconds but non of them post videos showing how fast it can go?? Similarly headphone manufacturers provide FR range but no visual data in most cases.
That might not be the best analogy tbh. What's the problem of providing a frequency response? Of courser there's more things to a sound of HP that the FR. But having that would help the potential buyers to get an idea of the tonality.

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #552 of 1,563
That might not be the best analogy tbh. What's the problem of providing a frequency response? Of courser there's more things to a sound of HP that the FR. But having that would help the potential buyers to get an idea of the tonality.
I agreed but they don't want to shoot in the foot as some potential buyer might simply be put off by objective data only.

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #553 of 1,563
I agreed but they don't want to shoot in the foot as some potential buyer might simply be put off by objective data only.
Fair. The problem on this hobby is that there's hardly a middleground.
There's a bunch of esoteric people that despise FR and other objetive stuff and there's a lot of people obsessed with measurements and following a target.

Anyways, I think that companies being as transparent as possible with his headphones (this includes showing FR) would be good in the long run term for the consumer.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #554 of 1,563
Feb 3, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #555 of 1,563

Attachments

• HD 660S.jpg
    HD 660S.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back