Yamaha Silent Cinema Headphone Support
Apr 21, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #31 of 80

Quote:
Thanks.  That's just the kind of info I was looking for

Unfortunately it looks like it might have a little too much hiss for me though.  I'm pretty OCD about that.  Cranking the Yamaha and running its head out into my Objective2 would improve the SNR and lower the noise floor some but I don't know if it would be enough.  Grados are considered pretty sensitive by full size standards they need a lot of power compared some IEMs which I use at home from time to time.

I just plugged my GR07 into it (extremely sensitive, it can even pick up some hiss with my E7) and it hissed quite a bit - it got even louder as I turned up the volume too.  It sounded pretty much just like white noise in the background...

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #32 of 80

Quote:

I believe Dolby Digital is a little better for movies
and CMSS-3D is little better for gaming.
Yamaha Silent Cinema will give you full 5.1 surround sound (with bass) for headphones.
Where as your Denon is just stereo (2 channel).

Did you try my ideas for the Prelude/Denon setting I left in the other post?

Sorry, I should have responded to that post sooner. I will post a reply in the other thread.

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #33 of 80
Quote:
I just plugged my GR07 into it (extremely sensitive, it can even pick up some hiss with my E7) and it hissed quite a bit - it got even louder as I turned up the volume too.  It sounded pretty much just like white noise in the background...

Thanks for that.  Looks like I'll have to keep searching for another solution.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #34 of 80
Two months since last post, another dead thread.

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #36 of 80
Quote:
Two months since last post, another dead thread.

I use Silent Cinema on my Yamaha Aventage A2000 receiver.  Although it's fun to mess around with the DSPs on the receiver for different types of movies, I usually stick with the Straight mode.

Currently I am rotating between Senn 800s, Audeze LCD2s, and Denon 5000s for movies and the Senn 800s easily do the best job with modern movies and lossless Blu ray discs.  For older movies (1920s on up) and DVD discs, the Senns are too revealing and harsh and the Denons provide a more pleasant listening experience.  The LCD2s are in the middle and I tweak the treble a bit to get more distinct vocals.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #37 of 80
I've used my ATH-A900X with my Yamaha RX-V671 receiver, in general the sound is good, but can not get the volume as loud as I would like sometimes.
My 250-Ohm headphones can get louder on the RX-V671.

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #38 of 80
My Aventage receiver has plenty of power to drive my headphones.  With my Sennheiser 800s (at 300 ohms) I have to dial down the volume substantially in relation to the other cans I've been using.

(One thing that bugs me about Yamaha's "Silent Cinema" is its name.  "Silent Cinema"?  That's the best that marketing boys could come up with?  To me, "silent" means "without audio" as in Silent Movies.  Off the top of my head "Cinema Headphone" is more accurate and catchy.)

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #39 of 80
Another one of the threads I started is mostly dead.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #41 of 80
Anyone come across any information on different version/revisions of Silent Cinema?

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #43 of 80
Hey guys so here is my situation, want a headphone surround solution for gaming on consoles.  Already solved the pc side of things with a asus xonar dg and have dolby headphone.  For the console side mixamp pro is best option but after reading PurpleAngel's setup with Yamaha receiver started considering that option.     

My current receiver is an onkyo sr508, which I bought when I was on a trip in the us, probably can sell it for around $250-300 if I'm lucky.  Receiver market here is rather weak, not a lot of choices, they are overpriced and nobody buys them.  

So one option is keep what I have and get an astro mixamp 2013 for $130 or sell my current receiver switch to yamaha and have an all in one solution.  The mixamp route worries me because of maybe future headphones might need amping and then will have more cables and more expenses even though I sort of would like to get an amp just for the fun of it.
biggrin.gif

The cheapest Yamaha´s that I can find locally that are under $400 are these two:

YHT-296 $350+tax (comes with speakers I could sell)
http://asia.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-296_g/?mode=model

RX-V471  $370+tax
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v471_black__u/  

RX-V571 and RX-V671 are available but are almost $500 and $600 respectively.

What do you guys think?  Does silent cinema vary depending on the model?  There's really not that much info around on silent cinema.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #44 of 80
Quote:
Hey guys so here is my situation, want a headphone surround solution for gaming on consoles.  Already solved the pc side of things with a asus xonar dg and have dolby headphone.  For the console side mixamp pro is best option but after reading PurpleAngel's setup with Yamaha receiver started considering that option.     

My current receiver is an onkyo sr508, which I bought when I was on a trip in the us, probably can sell it for around $250-300 if I'm lucky.  Receiver market here is rather weak, not a lot of choices, they are overpriced and nobody buys them.  

So one option is keep what I have and get an astro mixamp 2013 for $130 or sell my current receiver switch to yamaha and have an all in one solution.  The mixamp route worries me because of maybe future headphones might need amping and then will have more cables and more expenses even though I sort of would like to get an amp just for the fun of it.
biggrin.gif

The cheapest Yamaha´s that I can find locally that are under $400 are these two:

YHT-296 $350+tax (comes with speakers I could sell)
http://asia.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/home-theater-package/yht-296_g/?mode=model

RX-V471  $370+tax
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v471_black__u/  

RX-V571 and RX-V671 are available but are almost $500 and $600 respectively.

What do you guys think?  Does silent cinema vary depending on the model?  There's really not that much info around on silent cinema.

I'm going to "guess" Silent Cinema is the same on all Yamaha receivers.
If you can sell your current Onkyo for a decent price, guess it's not much more for the YHT-296.
Maybe keep the speakers?

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #45 of 80
Just an update, seems my local store just lowered the Yamaha RX-V571 to less than $300 so I better jump on it.  It has more hdmi inputs than my onkyo.  I loose zone 2, which I haven't use so far, and also loose dolby iiz which is 7.1 height because I don't have room for the back speakers for 7.1.  I'm even going to try to get them to lower the RX-V671   Running only one hdmi cable to the tv and having all my old video game consoles (ps2, ps1, snes, turbografx, etc) upscaled sounds like a win-win.  How is the analog upscaling (upconversion) on yamaha receivers, anyone have any experience with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back