Yamaha Silent Cinema Headphone Support
Jul 2, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #76 of 80
Hello everyone, greetings from Argentina.
Searching the web for information I came across this forum, hopefully it will continue.
It turns out that I have a Yamaha rxv475 and headphones of the hyper x brand (revolver s).
It comes with a virtual sound dolby 7.1 dac dongle but with the release of the last of us 2 I want to get the most out of it.
For this reason consider connecting these to yamaha and my question arises if the best option is dolby 5.1 dts 5.1 or pro logic 2 game.
The pcm option is only 2.0 and the yanaha doesn't do the decoding work there.
honestly the dac that includes the earphone is good but it has a slight white background noise and the maximum volume is not enough.
What dou you recommend ?

Thank you

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #77 of 80
Hi everyone,

I also posted this in the Sennheiser HD 600 thread, but it doesn't seem like that would be the best match for this question. And lo and behold, I searched and found this old thread.

I have a situation I can't seem to figure out and would like your feedback.

I use a Yamaha RX-V485 to watch movies with headphones because I like their Silent Cinema feature. First, yes, I know that AVRs aren't an optimal design, they are noisy, and they use resistors on the main line to run the headphone jack. I'm willing to live with all these compromises because it's just for movies and I have a dedicated headphone rig for music. I use speakers for movies during the day and headphones at night. It's just more convenient to use the Yamaha for both purposes.

When I use the following headphones:
-Sennheiser HD 569 (23 ohms, 115 dB sensitivity)
-Beyerdynamic DT 990 (600 ohms, 96 dB sensitivity)

I cannot hear any amp noise.

However, when I use my Sennheiser HD 600 (300 ohms, 97 dB sensitivity), I can hear a low-level rumble coming from the amp. It sounds like someone is stuffing cotton balls in your ears (I can't think of a better way to describe the noise). It's faint, but present only when I use the HD 600s.

Why is it I can only hear it from the HD 600s? They aren't all that sensitive and they are open. I can't hear the same noise from the HD 569 which are closed and very sensitive. If it was strictly an impedance thing, why can't I hear with the DT 990, which are about the same sensitivity?

This one has me stumped.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #78 of 80
I have a situation I can't seem to figure out and would like your feedback.
I use a Yamaha RX-V485 to watch movies with headphones because I like their Silent Cinema feature. First, yes, I know that AVRs aren't an optimal design, they are noisy, and they use resistors on the main line to run the headphone jack. I'm willing to live with all these compromises because it's just for movies and I have a dedicated headphone rig for music. I use speakers for movies during the day and headphones at night. It's just more convenient to use the Yamaha for both purposes.
When I use the following headphones: -Sennheiser HD 569 (23 ohms, 115 dB sensitivity) -Beyerdynamic DT 990 (600 ohms, 96 dB sensitivity) I cannot hear any amp noise.
However, when I use my Sennheiser HD 600 (300 ohms, 97 dB sensitivity), I can hear a low-level rumble coming from the amp. It sounds like someone is stuffing cotton balls in your ears (I can't think of a better way to describe the noise). It's faint, but present only when I use the HD 600s.
Why is it I can only hear it from the HD 600s? They aren't all that sensitive and they are open. I can't hear the same noise from the HD 569 which are closed and very sensitive. If it was strictly an impedance thing, why can't I hear with the DT 990, which are about the same sensitivity? This one has me stumped.
Any chance the HD600 might have a minor defect?
Any chance there is something like dirt or a hair in the cups of the HD600?
If you plug the HD600 into another source, do you still get the noise?

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #79 of 80
I'm really at a loss. When I plug the headphones into another amp, silent. Whatever the issue is has to do with some weird synergy between the AVR and HD 600. I can't figure it out.

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #80 of 80
I do have an update with my AVR/HD 600 issue.

Last night, my ears seemed to have been working better than normal, and I heard the noise in my other headphones as well. Granted, it was much, much more faint than what I could hear on the HD 600, but it was there. So, it was clearly an AVR issue, and it must be some synergy between headphone sensitivity, impedance, and output impedance of the headphone jack that changed the volume of the sound.

Anyway, I had turned on Eco Mode when I bought the AVR a few years ago to save on energy and heat, but when I turned it off, the noise went away!

Moral of the story: Eco Mode increases the noise floor by a decent amount.

So, problem solved. Thanks for chatting about this earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back