Yamaha Silent Cinema Headphone Support
Dec 1, 2011 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
For those that have not heard of Silent Cinema, think of it as Yamaha's version of Dolby Digital
I just ordered a Yamaha receiver (RX-V667) that comes with Silent Cinema,
I wanted to be able to use Silent Cinema headphone surround sound for Cable T.V., DVD & Blu-ray movies.
I live in an apartment and I like watching movies late at night (and wake up really late in the morning).
Hopefully my fellow headphone addicts (and Silent Cinema users ) and I can pull ideas for the best settings for movies and maybe gaming with Headphone/Silent Cinema.

Does anyone know if there have been revisions and different versions of Silent Cinema?

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 80
Does anyone else on Head-Fi even use Silent Cinema for headphones?

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 80
I've only heard it one time on a cheap yamaha receiver.  I don't remember any of the settings, or know if it was even setup correctly.  I've heard you can tweak it, which could be good for messing with the HRTF's maybe.  

I prefer Dolby Headphone, but that is not very tweakable (there's 3 different settings), and not that common in receivers I think.  When watching movies on my laptop I use PowerDVD which has dolby headphone, then send it to a DAC. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 80
I use it to watch movies and with an xbox 360.  I actually have run through the settings, but I always wind up back to the Direct mode.  I also have a Harmon Kardon receiver with dolby HP and bypass, but I think the yamaha sounds much better. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 80
It's my luck day, I ordered the Yamaha RX-V667 just for the surround sound headphone, today my Yamaha arrived, they shipped me the RX-V671, for the price of the RXV-667.
Now i have to figure out all the headphone settings.

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 80
I do not see much action for this thread.
Not to many Yamaha owners out there?

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 80
Hi, just trying to revive this thread and get opinion on silent Cinema. 

I live in a small studio apartment and I am trying to get the most out of my xbox, bluray, and PC by using a good pair of headphones. I'll leave the choice of headphones for another thread, but as far as what to drive them, I have been leaning towards a Yamaha receiver with Silent Cinema. The Xbox 360 outputs through optical, my blu ray through digital coax, and the PC also through optical. All 3 also do HDMI. I would also like the ability to simulate surround through the headphones as all of my devices output 5.1. 

I'm a big noob at this stuff, but I've been doing a lot of homework and researching all sorts of DAC's and mixamps. The only thing I could find that met my needs for all 3 devices, hooked up at the same time, and simulating 5.1 was a 5.1/7.1 receiver that had either Dolby Headphone or Silenct Cinema. Going off reviews and best prices from there, I narrowed it down to the Yamaka RX v371, which is pretty much the cheapest receiver I could find with 3 optical inputs and simulated headphone surround. I called Yamaha and they said it was good up to 450ohms, so that should be plenty of power for the headphones I am looking at. 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

How is it working for you?

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 80

Quote:
Hi, just trying to revive this thread and get opinion on silent Cinema. 
I live in a small studio apartment and I am trying to get the most out of my xbox, bluray, and PC by using a good pair of headphones. I'll leave the choice of headphones for another thread, but as far as what to drive them, I have been leaning towards a Yamaha receiver with Silent Cinema. The Xbox 360 outputs through optical, my blu ray through digital coax, and the PC also through optical. All 3 also do HDMI. I would also like the ability to simulate surround through the headphones as all of my devices output 5.1. 
I'm a big noob at this stuff, but I've been doing a lot of homework and researching all sorts of DAC's and mixamps. The only thing I could find that met my needs for all 3 devices, hooked up at the same time, and simulating 5.1 was a 5.1/7.1 receiver that had either Dolby Headphone or Silenct Cinema. Going off reviews and best prices from there, I narrowed it down to the Yamaka RX v371, which is pretty much the cheapest receiver I could find with 3 optical inputs and simulated headphone surround. I called Yamaha and they said it was good up to 450ohms, so that should be plenty of power for the headphones I am looking at. 

[size=1.7em] How is it working for you?[/size]

I do like my Yamaha RX-V671.
Get the Yamaha RX-V371, best price is at Newegg.
Use HDMI for all three, best prices for cables is Monoprice.
Check the website Techbargins and Bountii for best prices on receivers.

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 80
I was just wondering about this...

How do you guys like Silent Cinema as an HRTF?

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 80
Apr 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 80
I was looking at the manual for the RX-V371 and it looks like the Silent Cinema is only output over the headphone out.  I can always just run that into my O2 or something if it doesn't have any power or something  but I wonder if has any hiss.

Do you get any of that with any of your more sensitive headphones?

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 80

Quote:
I was looking at the manual for the RX-V371 and it looks like the Silent Cinema is only output over the headphone out.  I can always just run that into my O2 or something if it doesn't have any power or something  but I wonder if has any hiss.

I've got about 8 headphones to try, so it will take awhile.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 80
Just whichever one is most sensitive is plenty.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 80

Quote:

Actually, a way around this is use the rca outs and plug in a 1/4 trs adaptor with nothing attached and it will induce the Silent Cinema mode, but the straight mode sounds better if you ask me.

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 80
Quote:
Actually, a way around this is use the rca outs and plug in a 1/4 trs adaptor with nothing attached and it will induce the Silent Cinema mode, but the straight mode sounds better if you ask me.

Will that make the RCA outs play from the digital inputs?  The manual say it can't do that.  Will this get around that restriction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back