Yamaha Silent Cinema Headphone Support
Apr 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #16 of 80

Quote:
Actually, a way around this is use the rca outs and plug in a 1/4 trs adaptor with nothing attached and it will induce the Silent Cinema mode, but the straight mode sounds better if you ask me.

My experience is that the RCA output bypasses Silent Cinema... and any other part of the receiver for that matter, although I have not tried using it while the headphone jack is activated. I suppose I'll have to experiment. I'm using an old Yamaha HTR 5830 with Silent Cinema and it's been great for gaming and night time listening when I don't want to wake the girlfriend up. They drive my headphones decently, nothing too impressive really, but the surround sound feature is absolutely wonderful, for sure.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #17 of 80
Quote:
My experience is that the RCA output bypasses Silent Cinema... and any other part of the receiver for that matter, although I have not tried using it while the headphone jack is activated. I suppose I'll have to experiment. I'm using an old Yamaha HTR 5830 with Silent Cinema and it's been great for gaming and night time listening when I don't want to wake the girlfriend up. They drive my headphones decently, nothing too impressive really, but the surround sound feature is absolutely wonderful, for sure.

Would you happen to have any paticularly sensitive headphones you could test for hiss with?

I'd really appreciate it.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #18 of 80
I can certainly detect a very, very small, but audible low hiss with my 225s. I would say it's hardly noticeable, but its there if you're listening for it. These Yamaha receivers aren't going to compare to a standalone headphone amp in terms of background noise, but they work well for powering a modest speaker system, and have the added bonus of silent cinema, which I love.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #19 of 80
Quote:
I can certainly detect a very small, but audible hiss with my 225s. I would say it's hardly noticeable, but its there if you're listening for it. These Yamaha receivers aren't going to compare to a standalone headphone amp in terms of background noise, but they work well for powering a modest speaker system, and have the added bonus of silent cinema, which I love.

Thanks.  That's just the kind of info I was looking for

Unfortunately it looks like it might have a little too much hiss for me though.  I'm pretty OCD about that.  Cranking the Yamaha and running its head out into my Objective2 would improve the SNR and lower the noise floor some but I don't know if it would be enough.  Grados are considered pretty sensitive by full size standards they need a lot of power compared some IEMs which I use at home from time to time.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #20 of 80

Quote:
Quote:
I can certainly detect a very small, but audible hiss with my 225s. I would say it's hardly noticeable, but its there if you're listening for it. These Yamaha receivers aren't going to compare to a standalone headphone amp in terms of background noise, but they work well for powering a modest speaker system, and have the added bonus of silent cinema, which I love.

Thanks.  That's just the kind of info I was looking for

Unfortunately it looks like it might have a little too much hiss for me though.  I'm pretty OCD about that.  Cranking the Yamaha and running its head out into my Objective2 would improve the SNR and lower the noise floor some but I don't know if it would be enough.  Grados are considered pretty sensitive by full size standards they need a lot of power compared some IEMs which I use at home from time to time.

How are you feeding audio into the Yamaha RX-V371?

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #21 of 80
Quote:

Are you asking me or DrawTheLine?

I don't have one yet but if I did get on I would be feeding it with a Dolby Digital or DTS stream from either a video game console or my PC.  I'm only planning on using it with multichannel stuff.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #23 of 80

Quote:
Quote:

Are you asking me or DrawTheLine?
I don't have one yet but if I did get on I would be feeding it with a Dolby Digital or DTS stream from either a video game console or my PC.  I'm only planning on using it with multichannel stuff.

As you do not have the RX-371, question was to DrawTheLine.
If you do get the RX-371, try to hook up as much as possible using HDMI, it has the most audio bandwidth.

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #24 of 80
Quote:
As you do not have the RX-371, question was to DrawTheLine.
If you do get the RX-371, try to hook up as much as possible using HDMI, it has the most audio bandwidth.

I was a little unsure because of the double quote, so I figured I'd clarify just in case.

I kind of forgot about audio over HDMI since I don't run any audio over it at the moment.  I don't have any current gen consoles and I play movies from my PC and use a normal 2 channel USB DAC to my Objective2 for the audio and only the video goes to my TV.

Luckily, the bitrate is really not all that important.  The quality of the recording, mastering, and in this case the DSP are dominate factors but extra is always nice if it's available.

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #25 of 80

Quote:
I was looking at the manual for the RX-V371 and it looks like the Silent Cinema is only output over the headphone out.  I can always just run that into my O2 or something if it doesn't have any power or something  but I wonder if has any hiss.

Do you get any of that with any of your more sensitive headphones?

Silent Cinema only activates using the headphone out yes. I had some fun buying some phono to rca cables but as expected didn´t do much good :)

As for Silent Cinema I found it quite pointless just like all the other DSPs on my Yamaha RX-V663. That receiver totally sucked with everything honestly. I wonder if it wasn´t actually faulty in some way. It just got worse using Yamahas DSPs.

I never sensed that Silent Cinema made the soundstaging more realistic or anything. It was more subtle and unnoticable then dolby headphone though which distort the sound more. I use no dsps when watching movies with headphones I preferr my headphones pulling the tricks instead.

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #26 of 80

Quote:
I never sensed that Silent Cinema made the soundstaging more realistic or anything. It was more subtle and unnoticable then dolby headphone though which distort the sound more. I use no dsps when watching movies with headphones I preferr my headphones pulling the tricks instead.

I guess if you have headphones that already have a good soundstage, you shouldn't really need Silent Cinema. I'm using a pair of Grados for gaming, and let me tell you, the difference is night and day on these cans. I can pinpoint the location of sounds much, much more accurately now, where as before I just knew of the general location and not necessarily the distance. I guess this becomes more noticeable in gaming than watching movies or TV shows.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #27 of 80
Have any of you compared Silent Cinema to Creative's CMSS-3D headphone mode? I'm pretty impressed with CMSS but I'd like to try SC to see how it compares ... Does SC give you LFE or heavy bass through the headphone out jack?

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #28 of 80
I totally agree with this with my V667 although I don't think the receiver sucked with everything. To me silent cinema was like a bad EQ. I bought 3 receivers at about the same time an Onkyo SR608, the V667, and a Pioneer VSX1020. The headphone out on the Yamaha was by far the worst, it just doesnt sound "clean" to me; very gimicky. 
Quote:

As for Silent Cinema I found it quite pointless just like all the other DSPs on my Yamaha RX-V663. That receiver totally sucked with everything honestly. I wonder if it wasn´t actually faulty in some way. It just got worse using Yamahas DSPs.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #29 of 80

Quote:
Have any of you compared Silent Cinema to Creative's CMSS-3D headphone mode? I'm pretty impressed with CMSS but I'd like to try SC to see how it compares ... Does SC give you LFE or heavy bass through the headphone out jack?

Yes I have a X-fi Elite Pro at the moment. CMSS for me is the most efficient but it also distort the sound the most and bass get lost. But regarding soundstage it´s more efficient then dolby headphone/silent cinema.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #30 of 80

Quote:

I believe Dolby Digital is a little better for movies
and CMSS-3D is little better for gaming.
Yamaha Silent Cinema will give you full 5.1 surround sound (with bass) for headphones.
Where as your Denon is just stereo (2 channel).

Did you try my ideas for the Prelude/Denon setting I left in the other post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back