Yamaha RH5-ma, best sleeper of 2009?
Jan 20, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #46 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice reviews guys, thanks. As soon as I have cash that isn't already my landlords, I'm in. Has anyone taken these apart yet? I would like to add a little isolation for DJing.

I removed the pads last night as I wanted to open them up, but there's a disc of foam glued on the baffle behind the pads, and to open them I would need to destroy it. A pity, as I wanted to try putting a light layer of felt to damp the vents: as these have lots of bass, a light damping layer might damp the cups and make them more speedy (not that they need more speed compared to most other dynamics), without making them overbright or bass-light.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #47 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kaaber, how about comparing with some orthos?

Its an unfair comparison, because my tastes will ALWAYS lean toward the orthodynamics, since I am a fan of their sound signatures now.

It does have a nice flat sound (with its bass hump ofc) which is always takes a lot of effort to acheive on an ortho.
Here is something I said to Ludo in IM:
"i think it sounds like you take a HP-3, and a bit of bass boost. And the driver looses a little control (i.e distorts a little more)"
The distortion thing, is common to all dynamics when comparing to planar I think, Its not a very obvious thing, more subtle, but I think planar drivers inherently can bring out details in a smooth manner that dynamics will always find very hard to achieve.

But the above quote is actually quite a compliment, because I have come to the conclusion that the HP-3 (bass heavy) is either the best, or joint best ortho I own.

So basically...dont compare these to orthos
tongue.gif

Basically the entire basis that started this discovery in the first place was my idea that Yamaha couldnt just completely lose the glory of their 80's headphone glory, and I think in the world of dynamics in their price range and the price range directly above it, Yamaha have a quality product.

Jan 20, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #48 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the above quote is actually quite a compliment, because I have come to the conclusion that the HP-3 (bass heavy) is either the best, or joint best ortho I own.

Which was my exact impression yesterday comparing them to my office HP-3. The orthos are faster (and I hear this mostly with percussions) and more transparent and detailed, but as you say it's an unfair comparison, as all dynamics will suffer in certain aspects of sq compared to planars.

Quote:

Basically the entire basis that started this discovery in the first place was my idea that Yamaha couldnt just completely lose the glory of their 80's headphone glory, and I think in the world of dynamics in their price range and the price range directly above it, Yamaha have a quality product.

Yes, it was your idea as I wrote in the opening post. And a great one at that as we now have another good option for people looking for sub-150 headphones, with some unique characteristics.

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #49 of 125
I did a bit of Google scouting, and it turns out these have been recommended in the past here on HF. The posts are buried in different threads. Here are a few of them.

What do you think the Yamaha RH-5MA are doing wrong?? They are incredible!! (small thread on the RH5-ma)

Quote:

The Yamaha RH-5Ma at 32 ohms will eat 99% of the cans.Cheap!!

(post)

Quote:

If on the road you don't want huge heavy cans on your head, my vote is for the Yamaha RH-5Ma...

Deep bass, however still immensely detailed through the whole frequency range. Quite comfy and light-weight. No need for an amp at all.

(post)

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #50 of 125
My new Yammies arrived today. I will give them some play time, and then make an attempt to compare them to the SR-80's of gordolindsay, and allow him to do the same. Maybe I can piggyback on his writing skills to give a reasonably detailed response.

I have listened for only an hour or so, and I like them. But, I don't have a long history of headphone ownership, so let's wait until I can form a little better reference with them.

Joe

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #52 of 125
Hope you all like them, or I would feel responsible.
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried opening them tonight to see if there was some modding space inside, but after carefully removing the foam behind the pads, I discovered there are no screws.

rh5ma_driver.jpg

There are three elongated holes around the driver (btw beautiful large driver) with what appear to be tab clips deep inside. Unfortunately they seem to be glued, and I could not manage to budge them. So if you are thinking to get these for modding, maybe you should try a different pair of phones (or drill out the tabs and make new cups).

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #53 of 125
Btw, I am selling my pair, but guys DONT take it as though this means the headphone is bad, DEFINITELY not. I just wanted to audition them, and I am only selling because I have no place for it in my lineup, and I have way too many headphones.
(Basically I do not own any dynamics, just the K240 for use with my electric guitar equipment because its circumaural)

I am definately not being a shill here.

I'd still highly recomend then as a dynamic can for under $150.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #54 of 125
Interesting! Is it just me, or does there seem to be an uprising of folks on head-fi who prefer a more neutral or natural sound presentation? I can't tell you how many phones I put on, and just cross off the list immediately, because despite whatever strengths, they just have way too much $%^ dam treble! I used to feel like the only one, but since the ortho thread, and many others, and the new JVC phones, it seems that things are changing a bit

I may have to grab a pair of these. Sounds like they are what I wish my K81dj was...

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #56 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't tell you how many phones I put on, and just cross off the list immediately, because despite whatever strengths, they just have way too much $%^ dam treble! I used to feel like the only one

Heh, I felt like I was the only one too
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #57 of 125
Anyone know how hard these would be to recable? A DIYer needs to start somewhere (preferably with smaller monetary risks
biggrin.gif
). Seems like ludoo got them open and I think I can see the point where the cable connects to the driver..

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #58 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandnewgame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know how hard these would be to recable? A DIYer needs to start somewhere (preferably with smaller monetary risks
biggrin.gif
). Seems like ludoo got them open and I think I can see the point where the cable connects to the driver..

I did not manage to open them unfortunately. They snap closed and the snaps appear to be glued. The stock cable is not bad, what I would do if I managed to open them would be adding a light damping of felt to the cups.

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #59 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not manage to open them unfortunately. They snap closed and the snaps appear to be glued. The stock cable is not bad, what I would do if I managed to open them would be adding a light damping of felt to the cups.

Thanks for the info. These sound too good to potentially ruin so I think I'll try something else first
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #60 of 125
Very interesting indeed.

mmmmm...we have many 'giant-killers / great bang-for-buck' in realm of IEMs that appear but in terms of full-size, we havn't had one in a while. These look very interesting.
Would definitely like some comparisons vs. Grado SR-60/SR-80's though as they direct compete with these (the low soundstage, lower priced cans).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back