Yamaha RH5-ma, best sleeper of 2009?
Jan 18, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #16 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dammit Ludo, I've been eyeing those for a long time now thinking that if they sucked they might make a good foster phone.

You know what? I think that with your woodworking skills these would make some awesome and incredibly good sounding phones, for a ridicolously low price. And they have enough sensitivity to be used straight out of a DAP, with good bass for portable use. Beat those Grado lovers on their own turf lol.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Anyway, been modding the T30 again with more sealing and another pad setup. Believe it or not, those AKG velour pads you sent over seem to work best with them. Gives them a very nice smooth and deep sound. Very pleasant indeed.

Glad you found some use for them. I waited so long for them to arrive that when they did, I had sold the K171 I got them for. Are they enough to overcome your discomfort with supra-aural phones?

Quote:

I love the Fostex sound but I'm trying hard to warm up to the Yammys
smily_headphones1.gif

You need a pair of bass heavy HP-3.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #18 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I gave away the SR-80 about a month ago so I cannot compare them directly. Going from memory, and using the iGrados also, I'd say these have: more and deeper bass, more realistic mids, and a cleaner treble more balanced with the rest of the sound. Their overall presentation is fatter and warmer than the Grados.

More and deeper bass.. More realistic mids than the liquid Grados.. More balanced treble..

Must.. Audition.. The yammies.......

Thanks, ludoo!
Enjoy your RH5's!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #19 of 125
Well I hope I'm not misleading you all, but I am really liking them. I know kabeer found a used pair in UK, so maybe wait for his impressions too before launching on a full-out assault to get a pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #20 of 125
Hm, they are 55 Euro in the Netherlands
Are the earpads circumaural?

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #21 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, they are 55 Euro in the Netherlands
Are the earpads circumaural?

No, they are very light, soft, supra-aurals.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #22 of 125
Quote:

No, they are very light, soft, supra-aurals.

Thanks. A pity because I'm wearing eyeglasses.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #23 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. A pity because I'm wearing eyeglasses.

I use supra aurals all the time with glasses. I took my worst head clamping headphones with me to pick out glasses. It helped eliminate a couple of pair that I might have bought other wise.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 125
I have a question.

If I got these for portable use, what would I do with the 8' cable? I'd be wearing them at school, so any strange solution would be a no-go.

EDIT: And why exactly don't they sound good with acoustic music? Is there a headphone in this price range that would be better suited for that? And how is the soundstage?

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #27 of 125
It is nice to know if I want to buy a good small supraaural headphone I don't have to sell my left kidney to afford a YP3 anymore. But I do mainly only listen to acoustic music...

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #28 of 125
Well, to be fair I listened to some early latin jazz last night, and they did sound very good. They have an impactful and very warm sound, so with some tracks they did not sound as delicate as I would have liked. But I'm comparing them to the HP-3, which have a level of transparency and detail that I don't think you'll find in any dynamic, unless you shoot for the absolute top. They really excel at soul, R&B, reggae, probably rock and hip hop (both of which I don't listen to), but do pretty well with most other genres. What will definitely wow a first listener is the amount and extension of bass, and forceful mids.

Remember these cost 40 euros, and I'm liking them much more than phones which cost 3x or 4x. Of course, if you spend several hundreds on a pair of dynamics you will get better sound. But then they will be bulky, you will be scared of taking them around, etc. And how many of us can afford to spend that kind of money? These should be considered a good, less expensive alternative to the ATH-ES7, AKG K141/171, SR-60/80, etc.

I think they should be a mandatory buy for headfi noobs: they would cost them little, and save them lots of grief and money spent on crappy phones. I would have been very happy had someone told me to buy them early last year, and could have saved money to build a proper setup instead of spending it on several low or mid-end phones which sound pretty awful, Sextetts and K400/K401 included. But maybe that's just my tastes.

What I also did found last night, is that their impactful sound and big, deep, clean bass make them perform incredibly well at low volumes (if you are wondering, they sound good even loud), something which few phones can do.

As for the longish cable, reterminating it should be a 2 minutes job.

Edit: the soundstage is not large, but they don't have that "in your head" feeling either.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #29 of 125
Quote:

I think they should be a mandatory buy for headfi noobs: they would cost them little, and save them lots of grief and money spent on crappy phones.

Thank you for bringing this little Yammy to everyone's attention here at Head-Fi. Hopefully many will benefit from this. My concern, however, is that noobs just starting out usually don't want to buy an amp, let alone a $200 amp or a DIY amp that must be assembled. So, how does it perform without your starving student amp and straight from a sound card / PC?

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #30 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for bringing this little Yammy to everyone's attention here at Head-Fi. Hopefully many will benefit from this. My concern, however, is that noobs just starting out usually don't want to buy an amp, let alone a $200 amp or a DIY amp that must be assembled. So, how does it perform without your starving student amp and straight from a sound card / PC?

I listened to them out of my Sansa Clip yesterday while walking the dogs, and at about 75% volume they did sound good. An amp makes the sound slightly fuller and more controlled, but they can definitely be used without one.

I brought them to the office today and asked a coworker to whom I gave my KSC-75 (he's very happy with them) to test them today out of his laptop sound card. He used to play music, has a pair of SR-80 home (which I modded and recabled for him), but he can be considered a good test of head-fi "noobness". Will report back later with his impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back