Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
May 9, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #3,271 of 3,295
Has anyone out there in cyberspace modded their MT220's with AKG K612/712 type round velour pads?

I have done so (with a good seal) and I am very impressed so far with the SQ, with a really good closed back tight bass with a lot of the openness of open backs, with surprisingly good mids, right up there with the K612 mids but even possibly more transparent and open. (paired with my Hidizs AP100 DAP)

The only downside is that they leak a fair amount of sound.

I can share more details, tips and photos at the weekend only if anyone is interested?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #3,272 of 3,295
When I first got the Koss KTXPRO1 (a semi-open on-ear with titanium-coated dynamic drivers that only costs ten or twenty bucks) in late 2015, I only had memories of the MT220 and thought I may prefer the latter. But this year, when I compared them directly (both from the Chord Mojo and Schiit Fulla, and with two different MT220s), the KTX blew away the MT220 in just about every way. I couldn't believe it. Ended up returning the MT220. I have three pairs of the KTX now. (One old, one modified, and one newer.) On the higher-end side of things, I got some four-figure headphones this year like the Elear, HD 800, LCD-2F, LCD-X, and TH900, as well as others like the HD 600, HE500, and NightHawk. I enjoy the KTX more consistently than those too even though it's obviously not as technically impressive. My current stable consists of the Koss ESP950 (electrostats are the best! ...in my opinion, at least) for audiophile sessions, KTXPRO1 for general fun, JVC HA-SZ2000 for basshead purposes, and Koss Porta Pro KTC for videos (because it's so comfortable). It feels weird letting go of the MT220 since I hyped it up so much in the past, but I must acknowledge its sound defeat. (Pun intended.)

Of Course, your post illustrates why everything on headif should be taken with an ocean or two of salt!!

:deadhorse::beerchug::dt880smile:

Mar 25, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #3,274 of 3,295
Guys, my MT220 headband padding at the top has started to disintegrate just like the earpads did :frowning2: Any replacements possible? Thanks.

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #3,276 of 3,295
yama case.PNG

Jun 4, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,277 of 3,295
I’ve owned the MT220s for quite a few years now, but I feel like my time with them may be coming to an end now.

Why? Well, I’ve got my own room in a house now for serious listening, so I no longer had to have closed headphones all of the time. I got some Beyer DT990 Premiums, and although I had to upgrade my DAC and amp, the upgrade is huge. Even if I plug the MT220 into the same system, they just sound broken when comparing them to the DT990.

Anyway, I still do need closed headphones sometimes, but I find I’m not enjoying these much now. They just sound closed, and a bit dull and muffled, and dare I say lifeless compared with what I’m used to. @Duncan on here recommended I try some ZS5 earbuds, they were only £30 and yet I enjoy listening to those more than these MT220s, they just sound much more lively.

So, I would like a full size headphone that can be driven sufficiently well from an iPad Pro, that is closed and doesn’t feel like too much of a downgrade from my main rig. Any thoughts?

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #3,278 of 3,295
I’ve owned the MT220s for quite a few years now, but I feel like my time with them may be coming to an end now.

Why? Well, I’ve got my own room in a house now for serious listening, so I no longer had to have closed headphones all of the time. I got some Beyer DT990 Premiums, and although I had to upgrade my DAC and amp, the upgrade is huge. Even if I plug the MT220 into the same system, they just sound broken when comparing them to the DT990.

Anyway, I still do need closed headphones sometimes, but I find I’m not enjoying these much now. They just sound closed, and a bit dull and muffled, and dare I say lifeless compared with what I’m used to. @Duncan on here recommended I try some ZS5 earbuds, they were only £30 and yet I enjoy listening to those more than these MT220s, they just sound much more lively.

So, I would like a full size headphone that can be driven sufficiently well from an iPad Pro, that is closed and doesn’t feel like too much of a downgrade from my main rig. Any thoughts?
Beyerdynamic DT 250, or Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads (makes the bass more balanced). Extremely realistic sound, regardless of open or closed headphones. These don't sound like regular closed headphones at all in the refinement, clarity and realism.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #3,279 of 3,295
Beyerdynamic DT 250, or Beyerdynamic DT 150 + DT 100 velour pads (makes the bass more balanced). Extremely realistic sound, regardless of open or closed headphones. These don't sound like regular closed headphones at all in the refinement, clarity and realism.
Thanks for your reply, ironically though I don't think the DT250s are the answer, since I got rid of the DT250 for the MT220 in the first place! I found that the MT220 was markedly better than the DT250.

I do wonder if its the fact that closed headphones can't compete with good open ones but I'm sure they could sound more to my liking with a different signature.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #3,280 of 3,295
Thanks for your reply, ironically though I don't think the DT250s are the answer, since I got rid of the DT250 for the MT220 in the first place! I found that the MT220 was markedly better than the DT250.

I do wonder if its the fact that closed headphones can't compete with good open ones but I'm sure they could sound more to my liking with a different signature.
Interesting, did you have the 80 ohm or 250 ohm version of the DT-250? And what exactly did you find the Yamaha did better?

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #3,281 of 3,295
I'm also a little surprised that the DT990 was that positive for you, but obviously personal taste is subjective and there is no right or wrong. I owned the DT880 and really enjoyed it years ago, but today I suspect I would find it a little clinical as my preference has shifted somewhat. I did hear the 990 and I actually thought the 880 was the better sounding of the two, but I was used to the 880 at that point. I would also suggest that after owning a headphone for years we tend to get a little bored so that might be a contributing factor. A year from now you may actually find the 990 to be growing stale sounding, but perhaps not. My point isn't to bash the 990, more to suggest that our brains preference for novelty is behind at least some of our shifting preferences and perceptions of our gear over time.

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #3,282 of 3,295
It was the 80 ohm DT250 I had. I’m aware that the 250 ohm model is said to be better, however, a mate of mine actually does have the 250 ohm version and he also bought the Yamaha and also felt it was an upgrade on the DT250.

The DT990 is a good fit for my setup and tastes which helps. It produces powerful, pounding bass and crystal clear but not harsh highs. I have also owned the DT880 in the past and it was nice enough, certainly more refined and detailed but I would suggest it was a clinical sound lacking in a bit of the fun factor that the DT990 has in my setup.

I am not a massively heavy user of headphones though, they get probably a couple of hours of use per week on average. Generally, I prefer my speaker setup, but then I’ve always preferred speakers to headphones for the reason that the imaging is much better and you don’t have to wear speakers :)

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #3,283 of 3,295
It's been a while since I threw on the mt220's, but I recently got a Massdrop Grace SDAC and a Cavalli Liquid Spark amp, so I thought I'd see how the mt220's fair off of that combo.

The verdict? They sound rather awesome! I used to find the mt220's to be a bit fatiguing in the highs after some listening, but this synergy with the sdac+spark is pretty darned good.

Fyi, I'm using brainwavz hybrid pads on the mt220's.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #3,284 of 3,295
It's been a while since I threw on the mt220's, but I recently got a Massdrop Grace SDAC and a Cavalli Liquid Spark amp, so I thought I'd see how the mt220's fair off of that combo.

The verdict? They sound rather awesome! I used to find the mt220's to be a bit fatiguing in the highs after some listening, but this synergy with the sdac+spark is pretty darned good.

Fyi, I'm using brainwavz hybrid pads on the mt220's.

ahah... that was what I bought the hybrid pads for ages ago... they were recently installed on something else. Time to get another pair. I want to do something about the cable too. I remember loving these. Been a long time since an alert for this thread has popped up.

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #3,285 of 3,295
Guys, my MT220 headband padding at the top has started to disintegrate just like the earpads did :frowning2: Any replacements possible? Thanks.

So for those who may be interested, I was never content with the sound of 3rd party replacement pads for this headphone. Recently I was able to contact Yamaha directly and order the originals. They do if fact disintegrate over time but they sound better than others I've tried and they are extremely comfortable IMO.

If you do contact them make sure you specify you are looking for a PAIR not One. I received one and had to repeatedly contact (and reason with) them to get them to send another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back