Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Mar 9, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #3,256 of 3,295

Enjoy deeepspace on the yammie :p

still amazing after 20yrs

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #3,258 of 3,295
  Hey guys, got any amp/dac recommendations for the Yamaha's?

I have tried many portable amps and am still looking (have a look at my profile), I believe the Mojo and the MT220 are not a good pairing, IMO.

The Mojo is not good for sub bass, speed or dynamics, IMO.

I think part of my problem is that my Hidizs AP100 DAP seems to have a very good amp built in.

I am tempted to try the Aune B1 class A amp (2016-2017) version, has anyone paired it with the MT220?

I am still really enjoying my AKG K612 and it pairs well with my AP100 but not so well with the LH Labs GO450 or GO1000.

Lors how are you liking your AKG K812, I am tempted but hear conflicting views about how good they are?

Also, how does your Beyer DT150 fit into your collection?

I am also temped to try the AKG K712 but some people prefer the K612 over it. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #3,259 of 3,295
When I first got the Koss KTXPRO1 (a semi-open on-ear with titanium-coated dynamic drivers that only costs ten or twenty bucks) in late 2015, I only had memories of the MT220 and thought I may prefer the latter. But this year, when I compared them directly (both from the Chord Mojo and Schiit Fulla, and with two different MT220s), the KTX blew away the MT220 in just about every way. I couldn't believe it. Ended up returning the MT220. I have three pairs of the KTX now. (One old, one modified, and one newer.) On the higher-end side of things, I got some four-figure headphones this year like the Elear, HD 800, LCD-2F, LCD-X, and TH900, as well as others like the HD 600, HE500, and NightHawk. I enjoy the KTX more consistently than those too even though it's obviously not as technically impressive. My current stable consists of the Koss ESP950 (electrostats are the best! ...in my opinion, at least) for audiophile sessions, KTXPRO1 for general fun, JVC HA-SZ2000 for basshead purposes, and Koss Porta Pro KTC for videos (because it's so comfortable). It feels weird letting go of the MT220 since I hyped it up so much in the past, but I must acknowledge its sound defeat. (Pun intended.)

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #3,260 of 3,295
  When I first got the Koss KTXPRO1 (a semi-open on-ear with titanium-coated dynamic drivers that only costs ten or twenty bucks) in late 2015, I only had memories of the MT220 and thought I may prefer the latter. But this year, when I compared them directly (both from the Chord Mojo and Schiit Fulla, and with two different MT220s), the KTX blew away the MT220 in just about every way. I couldn't believe it. Ended up returning the MT220. I have three pairs of the KTX now. (One old, one modified, and one newer.) On the higher-end side of things, I got some four-figure headphones this year like the Elear, HD 800, LCD-2F, LCD-X, and TH900, as well as others like the HD 600, HE500, and NightHawk. I enjoy the KTX more consistently than those too even though it's obviously not as technically impressive. My current stable consists of the Koss ESP950 (electrostats are the best! ...in my opinion, at least) for audiophile sessions, KTXPRO1 for general fun, JVC HA-SZ2000 for basshead purposes, and Koss Porta Pro KTC for videos (because it's so comfortable). It feels weird letting go of the MT220 since I hyped it up so much in the past, but I must acknowledge its sound defeat. (Pun intended.)

biggrin.gif
 you crack me up with the KTXPRO1. I read some recent reviews on the KTXPRO1 where they made some changes to the phone, is that true? I need to replace my old one as they ended up getting blown.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #3,262 of 3,295

Lors how are you liking your AKG K812, I am tempted but hear conflicting views about how good they are?

Also, how does your Beyer DT150 fit into your collection?

the K812 needs a little "oiling" at the connector to the cup to really shine...
i have a bottle of SETTEN no.1 from japan.. it is a magical snake oil.
( otherwise u will hear the typical complaints  on the k812thread.. )

The DT150 is a mellower companion to the yammie at the couch...
but without getting mushy at the lower end. 

edit :
i just applied some setten oil on the yammie plug...
mannnnn the doublebass came moarALIVE ...i could smell the wax on the woods :p

edit 2 :

the AKG has this ability to evoke a "big theatre/cinema ambience ...
tall n deep sense of space...
listening to Jurassic park, and StarWars now...whew..great !

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #3,263 of 3,295

the K812 needs a little "oiling" at the connector to the cup to really shine...
i have a bottle of SETTEN no.1 from japan.. it is a magical snake oil.
( otherwise u will hear the typical complaints  on the k812thread.. )

The DT150 is a mellower companion to the yammie at the couch...
but without getting mushy at the lower end. 

edit :
i just applied some setten oil on the yammie plug...
mannnnn the doublebass came moarALIVE ...i could smell the wax on the woods :p

edit 2 :

the AKG has this ability to evoke a "big theatre/cinema ambience ...
tall n deep sense of space...
listening to Jurassic park, and StarWars now...whew..great !

Thanks Lors for the info - you have me tempted!

Guys, does the DT150 need EQ to sound good and do vocals sound near as good compared to the K612? (I prefer not to use EQ)

Any other closed cans that anyone can recommend that excel at vocals?

I am still really liking the AKG K612 after 6 weeks of burn-in and it still seems to be getting better.

My MT220 has been relegated to times when I need closed can isolation in order to keep domestic peace.

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #3,265 of 3,295

Thanks Lors for the info - you have me tempted!

Guys, does the DT150 need EQ to sound good and do vocals sound near as good compared to the K612? (I prefer not to use EQ)

Any other closed cans that anyone can recommend that excel at vocals?

I am still really liking the AKG K612 after 6 weeks of burn-in and it still seems to be getting better.

My MT220 has been relegated to times when I need closed can isolation in order to keep domestic peace.

So is the K612 the brighter of the two? I have to admit to having very limited experience with any AKG period. My impression is the AKG house sound is leaner and more detailed focused, but that is simply from reading impressions.

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #3,266 of 3,295
  So is the K612 the brighter of the two? I have to admit to having very limited experience with any AKG period. My impression is the AKG house sound is leaner and more detailed focused, but that is simply from reading impressions.

To me the AKG 612 emphasizes the mids and the presence band and it might be too much for some people - so they may prefer the K712 but I have heard some people say the K712 can be a bit harsh/ bright in the treble (but I have not tried it yet).

I thought this link is helpful to those who may be interested in some technicalities.

http://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum

The K612 has decent bass but does not have the sub bass of the MT220 or the overall bass clout of the MT220 which some people may find exaggerated and sometimes a bit flabby but it does not have the mid bass spike that I do not like. I think they both compliment each other in any headphone collection especially for those like myself that wants less gear to clutter up my wife's home!

I still give a strong recommendation for both the MT220 and the K612 for their performance, versatility and good value for money.

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #3,267 of 3,295
^Thanks for the detailed reply, I will have to see if I can hear a 612 soon, sounds intriguing.

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #3,268 of 3,295

You've just made me instantly go buy the KTX lol

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #3,269 of 3,295
It feels weird letting go of the MT220 since I hyped it up so much in the past, but I must acknowledge its sound defeat. (Pun intended.)

I must admit, for a while I settled for the MT220 and easily recommended it as my favourite all round headphone, but having just bought the Shure SRH 840 I can't help but see it's flaws. The SRH840s are just as detailed but have a richer more organic sound and make the Mt220s sound quite 'thin' in comparison.

May 1, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #3,270 of 3,295
Harry, it is interesting to hear your views re: MT220 Vs SRH 840.

I had my eye on the 840 but was put off when one of the guys here said (during a PM) he did not like them much but maybe the newer batch of 840 has been improved over the older version?

Does the 840 have comparable speed, attack and sub bass of the 220?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back