Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jun 18, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #2,882 of 3,295
  Thank you very much for sharing detailed information. I will check the link that you shared. I just had a quick look and it is 22 pages long… 
eek.gif

I am not EQ guy. Okay, I have to admit that I do not know who to use EQ properly. I always put it on Flat and not mess with it since I do not know how to EQ.

For me, Premium gear should be user friendly and least hassle for users. I will pass if high end gear requires extra work or gear to shine. I might be too lazy and I would not happy to pay premium and do the extra work that could be done from manufacturer’s end.

I would pay extra for premium gear if it is easier to use and less hassle and it is exceptionally good on at least one thing. I do not believe that there is one headphone that can do everything exceptionally well. I guess that it is kinda Jack of all, master of none principle. 

My desired high end open-back headphone would be the one that is easy & simple to use (not require any extra expensive Add-ons or extensive EQ), and sound great on any source files MP3 (320kbps) or Flac (16 bit) and very comfortable to wear for long listening session. Basically it is great right out of box.

I am currently looking for high end open-back headphone that is exceptionally good at Acoustic and female vocal. The rest of genre of music, I am very happy listening with MT220 Modded which are perfectly fine for me. 
beyersmile.png

Well, I think more or less all the ultra-high-end headphones sound great in their own way. Like I said, even the HD 800 (with its tendency to be more bright than dark) sounds fine with most music. Just because it isn't perfect doesn't mean it's bad per se. They all have problems, just like any headphone. Whether this ruins your experience depends on many factors. Sometimes the problems can end up being a blessing. For example, the MT220 (as many of us knew, and as revealed in the InnerFidelity measurements) has significantly boosted bass...but unlike many bass-boosted headphones, it retains clarity and punch without being muddy.

You don't have to do extensive EQ to tweak a headphone to your liking. You can just do broad sweeps, so to speak, such as reducing or increasing upper and lower frequencies, like if you don't want as much treble or want more bass and so on.

Is there any guide that I can refer to so I can learn how to play it properly? Thanks.

Here are some:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796791/the-most-reliable-easiest-way-to-eq-headphones-properly-to-achieve-the-most-ideal-sound-for-non-professionals
http://www.head-fi.org/t/794467/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-2016-update
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #2,883 of 3,295

Well, I think more or less all the ultra-high-end headphones sound great in their own way. Like I said, even the HD 800 (with its tendency to be more bright than dark) sounds fine with most music. Just because it isn't perfect doesn't mean it's bad per se. They all have problems, just like any headphone. Whether this ruins your experience depends on many factors. Sometimes the problems can end up being a blessing. For example, the MT220 (as many of us knew, and as revealed in the InnerFidelity measurements) has significantly boosted bass...but unlike many bass-boosted headphones, it retains clarity and punch without being muddy.

You don't have to do extensive EQ to tweak a headphone to your liking. You can just do broad sweeps, so to speak, such as reducing or increasing upper and lower frequencies, like if you don't want as much treble or want more bass and so on.

Is there any guide that I can refer to so I can learn how to play it properly? Thanks.

Here are some:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/796791/the-most-reliable-easiest-way-to-eq-headphones-properly-to-achieve-the-most-ideal-sound-for-non-professionals
http://www.head-fi.org/t/794467/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-2016-update
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

Yes, you nailed it. I fully agree that MT220 modded one has boosted bass. Not muddy, it is clear but it is a bit too much on some of tracks. It is why MT220 does not kick MK3 out of my house as yet.

Listening to EDM and Groove metal, I am totally fine with MT220 but it is a bit too much bass when I listen Acoustic blues and I swap with MK3 to listen with some of my favorite tracks.

Thank you very much for those links to refer to and learn how to EQ properly. I have got some reading to do this weekend :D  And see if I can tame MT220 bass a bit to my liking.

What software do you recommend for EQ that can do EQ not only on stand alone music player but spotify and Tidal online streaming, too? I am Mac user and currently using Vox player (Free). It has EQ functionality and not sure if it is good enough and I am not sure how to EQ on online streaming at Spotify and Tidal premium service that I currently use.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #2,884 of 3,295
I kept soborthane mod on but changed earpad from HM5 hybrid back to original pleather pad, and bass quantity reduced to right amount for me. Treble become slightly darker. It was slightly brighter when HM5 hybrid pad was on. Overall, Soborthane + Original pad suits me the best so far.I think that adding a bit cotton under the pad may improve on sound stage a bit and bring back treble that I liked when HM5 Hybrid pad on. But I just guess and have not tried it yet.

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #2,885 of 3,295
Yes, you nailed it. I fully agree that MT220 modded one has boosted bass. Not muddy, it is clear but it is a bit too much on some of tracks. It is why MT220 does not kick MK3 out of my house as yet.

Listening to EDM and Groove metal, I am totally fine with MT220 but it is a bit too much bass when I listen Acoustic blues and I swap with MK3 to listen with some of my favorite tracks.

Thank you very much for those links to refer to and learn how to EQ properly. I have got some reading to do this weekend 
biggrin.gif
 And see if I can tame MT220 bass a bit to my liking.

What software do you recommend for EQ that can do EQ not only on stand alone music player but spotify and Tidal online streaming, too? I am Mac user and currently using Vox player (Free). It has EQ functionality and not sure if it is good enough and I am not sure how to EQ on online streaming at Spotify and Tidal premium service that I currently use.

I kept soborthane mod on but changed earpad from HM5 hybrid back to original pleather pad, and bass quantity reduced to right amount for me. Treble become slightly darker. It was slightly brighter when HM5 hybrid pad was on. Overall, Soborthane + Original pad suits me the best so far.I think that adding a bit cotton under the pad may improve on sound stage a bit and bring back treble that I liked when HM5 Hybrid pad on. But I just guess and have not tried it yet.

The MT220 is super nice with EDM! I've never experienced such "juicy" bass with other headphones. I sometimes describe the treble as icy. I think it's on the edge of bright, but only enough to make it lively, not harsh.

My favorite band In Flames does some groove metal...as well as melodic death metal, metalcore, and other styles.

To start with, you can just experiment by reducing different frequencies under 200 Hz. You'll quickly get a feel for which ones should take priority to achieve the desired effect.

I use Windows, so I dunno. Just look on Google for parametric equalizers that are compatible with Mac. The EQ guides may list some as well. Or you could install a virtual operating system to use Windows on your computer. Equalizer APO is one program that applies the EQ universally.

What I did was stuff gauze under the left and right sides of the pads. This moves your ears a bit further away from the drivers, enhancing both the comfort and sound. Just avoid putting too much material in there, because it can make it sound worse instead of better.

If you have smaller ears like me, you may be able to make the midrange more upfront by moving your ears to the front in the pads. When I first got them, the mids were too recessed, but turns out I just had to move around a little.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #2,886 of 3,295

Thank you very much for those links to refer to and learn how to EQ properly. I have got some reading to do this weekend 
biggrin.gif
 And see if I can tame MT220 bass a bit to my liking.

The MT220 is super nice with EDM! I've never experienced such "juicy" bass with other headphones. I sometimes describe the treble as icy. I think it's on the edge of bright, but only enough to make it lively, not harsh.

My favorite band In Flames does some groove metal...as well as melodic death metal, metalcore, and other styles.

To start with, you can just experiment by reducing different frequencies under 200 Hz. You'll quickly get a feel for which ones should take priority to achieve the desired effect.

I use Windows, so I dunno. Just look on Google for parametric equalizers that are compatible with Mac. The EQ guides may list some as well. Or you could install a virtual operating system to use Windows on your computer. Equalizer APO is one program that applies the EQ universally.

What I did was stuff gauze under the left and right sides of the pads. This moves your ears a bit further away from the drivers, enhancing both the comfort and sound. Just avoid putting too much material in there, because it can make it sound worse instead of better.

If you have smaller ears like me, you may be able to make the midrange more upfront by moving your ears to the front in the pads. When I first got them, the mids were too recessed, but turns out I just had to move around a little.

I have not heard 'In Flames" and just checked it out. It is an awesome band indeed. My favorite is "Killswitch Engage" and "Five Finger Death Punch". To my surprise, Killswitch Engage made their debut by opening for "In Flames" on tour. :)

I will do some research for parametric equalizers for Mac... After pad change to original, I found that it is fine for me so not sure I would need to equalize further.

I am surprised that moving my ears to the front side of the pad increase the mid. I tried and and Yes, I noticed that immediately. I have not thought about this and thank you for the tip. 

I will check out stuff gauze later. I do not have them in my house so might need to get it from local store later.

Again, thank you for sharing tips. It was very helpful....

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #2,887 of 3,295
Just for further testing, I tried HM5 Velour pad... And the outcome was terrible. It made worse. Sound quite distant and sound became too thin and lose the great bass impact. Velour pad is No No for me on MT220.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #2,888 of 3,295
  I have not heard 'In Flames" and just checked it out. It is an awesome band indeed. My favorite is "Killswitch Engage" and "Five Finger Death Punch". To my surprise, Killswitch Engage made their debut by opening for "In Flames" on tour. :)

I will do some research for parametric equalizers for Mac... After pad change to original, I found that it is fine for me so not sure I would need to equalize further.

I am surprised that moving my ears to the front side of the pad increase the mid. I tried and and Yes, I noticed that immediately. I have not thought about this and thank you for the tip. 

I will check out stuff gauze later. I do not have them in my house so might need to get it from local store later.

Again, thank you for sharing tips. It was very helpful....

They have a diverse discography that is well worth hearing. I actually saw Killswitch Engage and In Flames live in concert once back in 2004.

Glad I could help!

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #2,889 of 3,295
  Bass: MK3 has tighter and punchier bass and MT220 has more bass quantity but slightly muddy comparing with MK3. I prefer MK3.

Yammie's sound signature can be dramatically changed depends on the earpads you use. Stock pleather pads will usually give you a fuller presentation for the low end but that doesn't make the bass texture muddy at all. May be little less textured because of that fuller bass presentation.   

Just for further testing, I tried HM5 Velour pad... And the outcome was terrible. It made worse. Sound quite distant and sound became too thin and lose the great bass impact. Velour pad is No No for me on MT220.

Not surprised with your impressions since velour pads will give Yammies an airy linear presentation which can sugnificantly reduce bass and overall the presentation will be thin, bright and dry.

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #2,890 of 3,295
Guys, I am eyeing up the Sennheiser 600 & 650 as I can buy them for £220 & £233 respectively, which one is best?

Has anyone compared them to the yams and if so do you think they would be an upgrade?

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #2,891 of 3,295
I've had the senns in the past, but unfortunately not recently enough to make a direct comparison. However I will say that I enjoy my music just as much with the Yamaha as I ever did before with the senns. If it were me, I'd go for the hd600 over the 650 as I was never truly happy with the latter, it just sounded dull. The 600 was a good happy medium. I'd suggest that the Yamaha are significantly livelier than either, harder hitting and more aggressive, and they are closed which was necessary for my needs.

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #2,892 of 3,295
I've had the senns in the past, but unfortunately not recently enough to make a direct comparison. However I will say that I enjoy my music just as much with the Yamaha as I ever did before with the senns. If it were me, I'd go for the hd600 over the 650 as I was never truly happy with the latter, it just sounded dull. The 600 was a good happy medium. I'd suggest that the Yamaha are significantly livelier than either, harder hitting and more aggressive, and they are closed which was necessary for my needs.

Thanks Man! very helpful, I prefer the closed cans as well, for now I will stick with Yams as I can't really fault them.

When I had a Chord Mojo I wondered if the Yams were not letting me hear their full potential as others are so enthused by the Mojo.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2,893 of 3,295
  Guys, I am eyeing up the Sennheiser 600 & 650 as I can buy them for £220 & £233 respectively, which one is best?

Has anyone compared them to the yams and if so do you think they would be an upgrade?

I owned the HD 600 before and wasn't too happy with it. My personal favourite owned headphones list is as follows (sound quality from best to - not so good).

1. Yamaha HPH-MT220
2. Focal Spirit Pro
3. B&O H6
4. Heir 8.A CIEMs
5. Bowers & Wilkins P5
6. Sennheiser HD 600
7. Sennheiser HD 530 II
8. Sennheiser PX 200

Comfort wise the HD 600 is easily #1.

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #2,894 of 3,295

I owned the HD 650. I think overall it is superior in objective terms, but I easily prefer the MT220 subjectively. It's more exciting.

Measurements, just for reference:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/YamahaHPHMT220.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back