Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jun 17, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #2,866 of 3,295
Well, it's available again brand new on Amazon for $250...but only from one seller. The other is selling it for over $460.
ph34r.gif

There are plenty of new ones on eBay at decent prices...but we will most likely never return to the $150 glory days.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2,867 of 3,295
  Well, it's available again brand new on Amazon for $250...but only from one seller. The other is selling it for over $460.
ph34r.gif

There are plenty of new ones on eBay at decent prices...but we will most likely never return to the $150 glory days.

I regret not getting one during that opportunity time.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,869 of 3,295
  i tested the mk3 on the then new A1 portable player, tot it was v easy to power...
liked it enuf to consider buying one, but otherthings$$$gotintheway..:p

If you already own MT220 and if it is modded, then I do not see any strong reason to purchase MK3. I personally found it is very similar in terms of sound signature and quality so it may be sidegrade instead of upgrade. :) My MT220 is now burned more than 15 hours and I am getting to like it more and more. If I do not have either of them and decide to choose one between the two, I might choose MT220 because it sounds a bit more fuller and clarity on mid & high and bass impact almost identical (to me at least
wink.gif
 ) 

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #2,870 of 3,295

I regret returning one (needed money) after getting one during that opportune time.
mad0228.gif

At least they're available used for even less from time to time...but I'd rather have a brand new one.

ph34r.gif

Amazon UK is selling MT220 very cheap. £115 + shipping. Not sure if they deliver to USA but it may do. I found this after I purchase used one from Head-fi. If I knew earlier, I would purchase brand new from Amazon UK.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #2,871 of 3,295
  Amazon UK is selling MT220 very cheap. £115 + shipping. Not sure if they deliver to USA but it may do. I found this after I purchase used one from Head-fi. If I knew earlier, I would purchase brand new from Amazon UK.

Whoa, you're right. Thanks for the tip!

Looks like some items are eligible for international shipping and some not, which you find out during checkout. Worst-case scenario, it's easy enough to befriend people from all over the world who would be willing to help.

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #2,872 of 3,295

Whoa, you're right. Thanks for the tip!

Looks like some items are eligible for international shipping and some not, which you find out during checkout. Worst-case scenario, it's easy enough to befriend people from all over the world who would be willing to help.

No worries. Happy to help. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #2,873 of 3,295
My MT220 modded is now 24 hours burned in and I really really like the sound. Clarity & soundstage is definitely better & wider than original.
I do not miss MK3 much now.

I was curious how this will compete with so called flagship headphone so I paid a visit to local retail store and tested HD800+Mojo combo for 40 minutes. My source was Flac 16 bit only. I was impressed about clarity and huge soundstage of HD800 but it was not a big difference comparing with MT220 modded. Yes, I could noticed that HD 800 has better clarity and bigger sound stage but the difference is again not big and I did not feel missed much at all which is big compliment to MT220 that is less than $200 if search for bargain price.
To get the most out of HD800, I was told that I need to invest significant amount on Dac/Amp since it is quite picky on gears to match with.  It is hassle for me since I prefer simple set up. 

I was going to save money for HD800 but will not pass it and stick to MT220 until I can find open-can that rivals HD800 at much better price to performance ratio like MT220 does...

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #2,874 of 3,295
Burned in for more than 24 hours on Yam MT220 modded can and my final impression between MT220 and MK3 are;

MT220 = Mid & High somehow sound slightly leaner than MK3 but bass has definitely more thump to it than MK3.
MK3 = Sound more neutral in overall and less bass quantity but tighter.

I feel that MT220 is slightly more V shaped than MK3 but difference is subtle. Both cans are very enjoyable to listen to and have GREAT imaging, clarity, and bass. I will be surprised if anyone disappoint with either of them in terms of sound quality.

Thank you for reading my amateurish impression. 
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #2,876 of 3,295
  My MT220 modded is now 24 hours burned in

To get the most out of HD800, I was told that I need to invest significant amount on Dac/Amp since it is quite picky on gears to match with.  It is hassle for me since I prefer simple set up.

Which brings me to to two things I do not believe in...

I have owned around 50 headphones and have never once experienced burn-in. At least not anything noticeable.

"Matching" headphones with colored equipment (read: paying more money for a lower fidelity audio device) is another pet peeve of mine. If others want to, it's their prerogative, but I'm a purist when it comes to that. The only reason people advocate spending more money on colored amps and the like (by the way, for those who do not know, even very affordable amps can have a perfectly neutral frequency response, distortion below the threshold of audibility, output power far beyond the requirements of most headphones, and so on) is because they are compensating for the weaknesses of the headphones.

In the case of the HD 800, the major weakness is excess brightness, sometimes not noticeable, other times painfully obvious. There is a peak at 6 kHz, but it's not that extreme, and it's not the primary cause of the brightness. What actually causes it is the fact that a large chunk of the mid-range is sucked out. (I can prove this with measurements upon request.) Normally, when there are recessed mids, it makes the mids themselves sound recessed, but here, it doesn't do that so much as it creates an imbalance and makes it sound brighter than it should. This is naturally more apparent with recordings that have a lot of treble content. More mellow recordings usually sound fine on the stock HD 800. Nevertheless, it has an artificial tonality (not neutral as so many claim) that many feel the need to deal with via various means. So they use equipment that colors the sound to their liking. At this point, you are not describing the actual sound signature of the headphones anymore. Always remember that.

The only way to attain an accurate (or at least as precise as is plausible) frequency response is with extensive EQ. A parametric equalizer gives you near-limitless control over the audio spectrum: you can reduce or boost any audible frequency; and by any amount down to a fraction of a decibel; and without spending a penny. Of course, it's not perfect, but still far superior to the alternative that inevitably involves spending money on something that alters the sound to a set configuration and forces you to spend even more money if you wish to alter the sound further; an overpriced EQ apparatus stuck on one setting, as far as I'm concerned. (And in some cases, there's a bonus!: audible distortion.) It's like comparing throwing paint against a wall to composing a masterpiece with a fine-tipped brush.

Now if we're talking about higher-end DACs, then those can be a worthwhile investment in objective terms. But I don't put them in the "fix the problems of your headphones with this snazzy piece of gear!" category.

In conclusion, the HD 800 is not picky; people are picky and often don't understand you can solve a problem for free in a way that is higher fidelity than the paid option.

Here's a good post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/724199/hd800-being-picky-with-amps-myth/15#post_10660374

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #2,878 of 3,295
  EQ is a nono for me.... too complex for my pea :p

I can understand that. It requires a lot of work...but is well worth the effort! Everything else results in a more skewed frequency response than effective equalization can achieve. Still, I really like the stock tuning of the MT220! It's like taking a reference headphone and making it more powerful and lively.

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #2,879 of 3,295

My MT220 modded is now 24 hours burned in

Which brings me to to two things I do not believe in...

I have owned around 50 headphones and have never once experienced burn-in. At least not anything noticeable.

"Matching" headphones with colored equipment (read: paying more money for a lower fidelity audio device) is another pet peeve of mine. If others want to, it's their prerogative, but I'm a purist when it comes to that. The only reason people advocate spending more money on colored amps and the like (by the way, for those who do not know, even very affordable amps can have a perfectly neutral frequency response, distortion below the threshold of audibility, output power far beyond the requirements of most headphones, and so on) is because they are compensating for the weaknesses of the headphones.

In the case of the HD 800, the major weakness is excess brightness, sometimes not noticeable, other times painfully obvious. There is a peak at 6 kHz, but it's not that extreme, and it's not the primary cause of the brightness. What actually causes it is the fact that a large chunk of the mid-range is sucked out. (I can prove this with measurements upon request.) Normally, when there are recessed mids, it makes the mids themselves sound recessed, but here, it doesn't do that so much as it creates an imbalance and makes it sound brighter than it should. This is naturally more apparent with recordings that have a lot of treble content. More mellow recordings usually sound fine on the stock HD 800. Nevertheless, it has an artificial tonality (not neutral as so many claim) that many feel the need to deal with via various means. So they use equipment that colors the sound to their liking. At this point, you are not describing the actual sound signature of the headphones anymore. Always remember that.

The only way to attain an accurate (or at least as precise as is plausible) frequency response is with extensive EQ. A parametric equalizer gives you near-limitless control over the audio spectrum: you can reduce or boost any audible frequency; and by any amount down to a fraction of a decibel; and without spending a penny. Of course, it's not perfect, but still far superior to the alternative that inevitably involves spending money on something that alters the sound to a set configuration and forces you to spend even more money if you wish to alter the sound further; an overpriced EQ apparatus stuck on one setting, as far as I'm concerned. (And in some cases, there's a bonus!: audible distortion.) It's like comparing throwing paint against a wall to composing a masterpiece with a fine-tipped brush.

Now if we're talking about higher-end DACs, then those can be a worthwhile investment in objective terms. But I don't put them in the "fix the problems of your headphones with this snazzy piece of gear!" category.

In conclusion, the HD 800 is not picky; people are picky and often don't understand you can solve a problem for free in a way that is higher fidelity than the paid option.

Here's a good post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/724199/hd800-being-picky-with-amps-myth/15#post_10660374

Thank you very much for sharing detailed information. I will check the link that you shared. I just had a quick look and it is 22 pages long… 
eek.gif

I am not EQ guy. Okay, I have to admit that I do not know who to use EQ properly. I always put it on Flat and not mess with it since I do not know how to EQ.

For me, Premium gear should be user friendly and least hassle for users. I will pass if high end gear requires extra work or gear to shine. I might be too lazy and I would not happy to pay premium and do the extra work that could be done from manufacturer’s end.

I would pay extra for premium gear if it is easier to use and less hassle and it is exceptionally good on at least one thing. I do not believe that there is one headphone that can do everything exceptionally well. I guess that it is kinda Jack of all, master of none principle. 

My desired high end open-back headphone would be the one that is easy & simple to use (not require any extra expensive Add-ons or extensive EQ), and sound great on any source files MP3 (320kbps) or Flac (16 bit) and very comfortable to wear for long listening session. Basically it is great right out of box.

I am currently looking for high end open-back headphone that is exceptionally good at Acoustic and female vocal. The rest of genre of music, I am very happy listening with MT220 Modded which are perfectly fine for me. 
beyersmile.png

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #2,880 of 3,295

Thank you very much for sharing detailed information. I will check the link that you shared. I just had a quick look and it is 22 pages long… 
eek.gif

I am not EQ guy. Okay, I have to admit that I do not know who to use EQ properly. I always put it on Flat and not mess with it since I do not know how to EQ.

For me, Premium gear should be user friendly and least hassle for users. I will pass if high end gear requires extra work or gear to shine. I might be too lazy and I would not happy to pay premium and do the extra work that could be done from manufacturer’s end.

I would pay extra for premium gear if it is easier to use and less hassle and it is exceptionally good on at least one thing. I do not believe that there is one headphone that can do everything exceptionally well. I guess that it is kinda Jack of all, master of none principle. 

My desired high end open-back headphone would be the one that is easy & simple to use (not require any extra expensive Add-ons or extensive EQ), and sound great on any source files MP3 (320kbps) or Flac (16 bit) and very comfortable to wear for long listening session. Basically it is great right out of box.

I am currently looking for high end open-back headphone that is exceptionally good at Acoustic and female vocal. The rest of genre of music, I am very happy listening with MT220 Modded which are perfectly fine for me. 
beyersmile.png

That's fine if you don't care for EQ, but do play with it.  It is very educational.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back