Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jul 9, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,337 of 3,295
I just bought second pair of mt220 , going to be a present...

I couldn't helpe listening to a new pair, and I was surprised!
Much more cleaner mids, less bass, more air, more detail. Sound is less warm, sounds with authority of a professional studio gear, same character of mt220 just with less bass and more clarity/details...

I looked at serial numbers, looks like different brunches , my guess is the new brunch got a little different voicing , hmmm

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,338 of 3,295
Interesting to hear this.

When you say "brunch" you must be feeling a bit hungry - perhaps a Freudian slip. LOL

Excellent English by the way, when I was in Gothenburg visiting a friend for 3 weeks many years ago, the only words I learned were "Beautiful women with blond hair" - but I cant remember much else! LOL

blue-tit-37.jpg

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,339 of 3,295
I just bought second pair of mt220 , going to be a present...

I couldn't helpe listening to a new pair, and I was surprised!
Much more cleaner mids, less bass, more air, more detail. Sound is less warm, sounds with authority of a professional studio gear, same character of mt220 just with less bass and more clarity/details...

I looked at serial numbers, looks like different brunches , my guess is the new brunch got a little different voicing , hmmm

maybe the foam hasnt packed/settled down yet...or the foam is thicker/denser? 

Jul 9, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,340 of 3,295
Foam is the same.

Besides I remember how my first pair sounds straight of the box . That's what I never forget, how headphone sounds before any burn in, straight out of the box. I usually put on songs I really know, and audition for a few hours switching from a song to a song, not really listening to music but checking out some parts of songs, opening before the vocal comes in or drums solo or saxophone on some aucustic record...

My old pair sounded way more bassy and warmer, thicker....

New pair sound way more clean and detailed with less midbass and less bass quantity overall, but bass is more articulated and faster/ tighter! I get more 3D ( feeling of space)

But character is the same...

Jul 9, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #1,341 of 3,295
Now I don't want to give away the second pair of mt 220 that meant to be a present...

I'll keep the new pair and give away the old one ))

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,343 of 3,295
Arttt You have the same pads on both? Could be evidence of burn in, not a believer myself but never had two of the same headphones to compare

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,344 of 3,295
Here is a blast from the past.

Loving You by Rinnie Riperton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE0pwJ5PMDg

Loving You -The Voice UK 2013 - Leah McFall sings in the Live Final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfjFx-wMiy4

Europe - The Final Countdown (Official Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw&list=RDyCC_b5WHLX0&index=17

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #1,345 of 3,295
Could be the seasonal effect....
Magnetic flux in the sky affecting the performance :p

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #1,346 of 3,295

A proposed mod: ( for "even better" resolution to the bass..enhanced separation n more depth...to my ears :p)

If u open up the cup, u will see the four screw posts....
Roll up some blue tac slightly smaller than the diameter of a typical straw...
2 phial for each cup.
Line it from one post to the next screw post along the Longitudinal sides of the cup,
As if u are trying to funnel the sound waves to the 7holes vents at the top n bottom of the cups. :wink:

Press the driver n cup back firmly n tighten the 4screws, some blue tac might ooze out from the sides,
If u applied way too much blue tac, u might not be able to affix the screws.

The diffused sound leaking from the sides of the cup is cut out....
The cleaned up bass provides a " blacker" canvas for your listening pleasure.
This is especially telling on my angled velor pads,
Still discernible on the stock pads if your ears are sharp, but might not matter to some folks :wink:

* I didn't take any foto, sorry...i tot it's a crazy idea n ....lazy, until my next itch to open them up. Give it a try, if it works for u, let me know.

* inspired by Light-Man's lifting of the veil off the holes thru cottonballs. :)

Jul 10, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #1,347 of 3,295
Any of you tried yammies with Meridian Explorer? having some cracking sound issue with my odac atm, since then I'm using my old e17. looks like it doesn't have that magical synergy with yammies .. thinking about getting another odac or Explorer. any of you have better recommendations in that price range ?

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #1,348 of 3,295
Any of you tried yammies with Meridian Explorer? having some cracking sound issue with my odac atm, since then I'm using my old e17. looks like it doesn't have that magical synergy with yammies .. thinking about getting another odac or Explorer. any of you have better recommendations in that price range ?

I have the Geek-Out 450 which I am pretty happy with it along with the MT220.

I have not tried the Meridian Exp 1 or 2 but I had the Dragonfly 1.2 and DacMagic XS USB-DAC's but the GO450 is way better and very powerful IMO.

p.s. the GO decodes DSD files natively if that makes any difference to you.

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #1,349 of 3,295
@appsmarsterx 

i auditioned both meridian explorer , dragonfly, hegel super.

to my ears, explorer sound kind of thin and lean, its smooth and elegant but lacks punch in dynamics...

dragonfly has lots of pressure in low end, its strong sounding but brutal , primitive... i disliked dragonfly

hegel super was in another class, it had lot of detail, weight to the sound, and good dynamics, i highly recommend hegel super for low impedance headphones!

Make sure you get a decent usb cabel for your dac! Something like Audioquest Cinnamon , has great clarity and speed!

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,350 of 3,295
By the way, i made few blind tests with two pairs of mt220, i don't even have to listen for few minutes to tell the difference , as soon as a note from piano comes or guitar string , i could easily tell difference in decay, same with bass drops, its way to obvious!

For those who buy mt220 now, congrats fellas , you get a cleaner sounding headphone with tighter/faster bass and and more detail =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back