Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jun 29, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,276 of 3,295
I was able to pick up one of the last units that B&H Photo had for the $145 price as well. I am amazed at how good these headphones sound for their price range. No, they don't sound AS good as some of my other headphones (HE-560, Pandora Hope VI, Signature DJ)  but they are pretty damned closed for a fraction of the price. They certainly trounce comparably priced headphones like the M50x. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #1,277 of 3,295
A massive shame they've discontinued the MT220, I wonder why? This is a gem of a headphone, I've normally found aspects of the sound I don't like in a can by now and I just can't say that with these...I like it all!

Yamaha must be coming out soon with a succesor or a slightly updated model of the MT220. I can't imagine they just discontinued it with no plans to replace it. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #1,281 of 3,295
I have the Yamaha HPH-200 (open cans), does anyone have an opinion on how the HPH-200 compares to the HPH-MT220 (closed cans)?

I am looking for an upgrade and would ideally like closed cans (to stop annoying others in the same room) even though I like the benefits of open cans.

I am also considering Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 (closed cans) and AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-R70X (open cans) or is there anything else I should consider?

Any feedback would be appreciated?

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #1,282 of 3,295
I have the Yamaha HPH-200 (open cans), does anyone have an opinion on how the HPH-200 compares to the HPH-MT220 (closed cans)?

I am looking for an upgrade and would ideally like closed cans (to stop annoying others in the same room) even though I like the benefits of open cans.

I am also considering Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 (closed cans) and AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-R70X (open cans) or is there anything else I should consider?

Any feedback would be appreciated?

I have both, great cans! The MT220 dig deeper in the bass, are more detailed, are brighter, better imaging with a 3D soundstage, a more intimate and dynamic presentation. The HPH-200 are more laid back and warmer, more mid bass than sub bass. I wouldn't hesitate recommending the MT220, you will enjoy them I'm sure.

Note sure if anyone on here with the MT220 had the HPH-200 but I would recommend them, Yamaha really hit the spot with these cans.

I believe the ATH-MSR7 are quite a bright can, not sure about the ATH-R70X.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #1,283 of 3,295
I personally never could hear any difference between 320kbps and FLAC, which lines up with the numerous studies on the subject. Our ears aren't as capable as we'd like to think. 

As the music gets more complex....and your gears get more refined.....
My in depth meditation says u will hear the diff,
But u might not recognize it :D

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/YJVdnMAGIt8/[VIDEO]

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,284 of 3,295
There's massive contradiction here, one minute you're saying there is no point trying to convince people on a public forum and the next you are doing just that. Let's just say if you can hear the difference them get Flac, if you can't then it makes sense to save space.

Come on guys back on topic please, MT220....and go!

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,285 of 3,295
i checked it out , you need foobar2000 in order to do this test.
i got macbook with OS X, can't install foobar...

is the any other way ?

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,287 of 3,295
Okay I was about to write these head phones off and sell them but.... to much recommendation I broke down and got a dac/amp. I picked a Dragonfly USB dac/amp ver 1.2 and damn I hate to eat crow but totally worth it. Once I given these things more time I will write my review.... and one last tid bit GOD DAMN you onboard sound... even my ancient asus xonar sounded better for music.

So far now I am a happy man ... 
atsmile.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #1,288 of 3,295

in case u felt the need/ or curiosity to dampen the vibration of the cup itself....(for whatever reasons...lol )
u can try BLU TAC ing ...and a touch of cork if thats your fancy too.

I am hearing v tight clear sound... in a spacious 3D ambience, from the HM5angledvelorpads.
DELICIOUS.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,289 of 3,295
 I will be joining the HPH-MT220 club tomorrow after using the HPH200 for the past 6 months (Thanks to you Guys).

I am curious to know what is the min/max burn-in time required?

p.s. Has anyone had any experience with Yamaha PRO 400/500 compared to the mt220?

Also has anyone tried altering the fixed cable?

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,290 of 3,295
 I will be joining the HPH-MT220 club tomorrow after using the HPH200 for the past 6 months (Thanks to you Guys).

Awesome! Make sure you report back your findings.

Remember, if you find the presentation a little too aggressive or intimate then stuff the back side of the pads as mentioned here, actually I'd suggest doing that anyway.

I don't think many people have heard both PRO400/500 and MT220, gelocks has (posting in the beginning of this thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back