Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Jun 27, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,246 of 3,295
may be try giving your yammies more burn-in time ? may be then you might change your opinion about yammies clarity ? and your ears might be also adjusted to the audio technica's brighter signature after all these time :)  

The heat/stickiness kills the MT220 for me way more than the sound, so I'm not really interested in giving it any burn-in, especially when I have the MSR7 which I like way more.

Did you experiment with the position of your ears in the pads and stuff gauze under the pads, like I recommended? With my ears in the middle of the pads, the mids were too recessed. When I moved my ears to the front of the pads, they became much more upfront. The gauze enhanced the sound too, but it has to be the right amount. Too much gauze just makes it sound bloated. I did not experience heat or stickiness issues. Do you have air conditioning? I mean, if the room is hot and sticky in the first place, you can't exactly blame the headphones. Also, most people say it improves a lot with burn-in, but it became my favorite headphone even without giving it a chance to burn in!  
Is there any reason why you want to sell it instead of simply returning it? Anyway, make sure you follow my recommendations before jumping ship.

By the way, I plan on buying the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 and JDS Labs The Element amp/DAC next month. I think I already told you that you were the person who convinced me to pursue the AD2000, since it's your favorite headphone even after hearing most of the expensive stuff.

I guess I might as well try out some gauze-stuffing to see what happens, with all the successful reports on the modding in this thread. I do have A/C but I never run it at night to save on my energy bill (opening the windows and running my ceiling or desk fan usually provides enough cooling), and I do almost all of my headphone listening at night. I've never had any heat/stickiness issues with my Audio-Technica ES7 before (another closed headphone that has pleather pads), it's always the headphones that have large pleather pads that I can never seem to use in the summer. I don't know how everyone else deals with these pleather-pad headphones, it's just too annoying for me once the summer night temps start going above 50 degrees (F).....

Hope you like the AD2K, definitely not for everyone, even in just one genre like metal....

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #1,247 of 3,295
here comes bad news, nothing is good under 100 $ ...

get hegel super or meridian explorer , its a little more but worth it...

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #1,250 of 3,295
Hi everyone
I'm new to this site and would love some advice on upgrading my AKG 451's, don't have an amp or DAC but prepared to spend £50-£100 on one. The two headphones at the top of my list at the moment are the ATH M50x and the Yamaha MT220. I listen to pretty much everything from electronic to blues, soul and rock, love my vocals! Mainly use a tablet or android phone and sometimes my laptop. Would really appreciate a wee bit of advice from you experts. Thank you.

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,253 of 3,295
Hi everyone
I'm new to this site and would love some advice on upgrading my AKG 451's, don't have an amp or DAC but prepared to spend £50-£100 on one. The two headphones at the top of my list at the moment are the ATH M50x and the Yamaha MT220. I listen to pretty much everything from electronic to blues, soul and rock, love my vocals! Mainly use a tablet or android phone and sometimes my laptop. Would really appreciate a wee bit of advice from you experts. Thank you.

Thought you might say that. If 3 more folk agree with you I'm "clearly" listening and going down the yammie route
smily_headphones1.gif

M50x: boomy, muddy, dull, only sounds good with some music
MT220: juicy, punchy, clear, dynamic, engaging, sounds great with everything

The choice is clear. lol

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #1,255 of 3,295
Ha ha Clear is what I'm looking for, find the AkG 451's a bit on the muddy side and really want a bit more separation but still a decent bass response. Only 2 more votes to go
smily_headphones1.gif

I only had these for a few days now ... they are super clear. As a matter of fact so good they might make some of the recordings you have sound bad because the recording was not good. Still burning them in as I use them more they seem to relax a bit which is good. Right out of the box they can be a bit bright and energetic of course I think most that is thanks to my on board sound as the sound more tame from my phone as a source. I will be getting a dac/amp soon and hope to hear these things with that.

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #1,256 of 3,295
I only had these for a few days now ... they are super clear. As a matter of fact so good they might make some of the recordings you have sound bad because the recording was not good. Still burning them in as I use them more they seem to relax a bit which is good. Right out of the box they can be a bit bright and energetic of course I think most that is thanks to my on board sound as the sound more tame from my phone as a source. I will be getting a dac/amp soon and hope to hear these things with that.

Yeah I'm a little worried about them being too bright and exposing my 320kb mp3 files as not good enough! At the same time I think that is the sound I'm looking for as long as it still has a decent bass punch when needed. Just found a new pair on eBay at a good price so may bite the bullet and go for it. What amp/DAC you thinking of? Any suggestions for something suitable for mobile phones and laptops around the £50-£100 mark?
Cheers

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #1,257 of 3,295
dun worry about the dac amp first, get the can n enjoy the fun straight off your laptop/fones/tablets...
i do it all the time watching youtubes :p

======

SIMPLY RED....that basss clear n textured, dammm its GREAT :p

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,258 of 3,295
Yeah I'm a little worried about them being too bright and exposing my 320kb mp3 files as not good enough! At the same time I think that is the sound I'm looking for as long as it still has a decent bass punch when needed. Just found a new pair on eBay at a good price so may bite the bullet and go for it. What amp/DAC you thinking of? Any suggestions for something suitable for mobile phones and laptops around the £50-£100 mark?
Cheers

Tempted to buy http://audiotrack.net/en/store/2590 AUDIOTRAK PRODIGY 7.1e X-Fi with MUSES 8920 OPAMP to replace my built in sound card.  But I am weird and rather not have external dac/amp.

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,259 of 3,295
  dun worry about the dac amp first, get the can n enjoy the fun straight off your laptop/fones/tablets...
i do it all the time watching youtubes :p

======

SIMPLY RED....that basss clear n textured, dammm its GREAT :p

See no issues with this recording even on youtube sounds great... man some recordings in my current music library might have to go or find a higher quality if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back