Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Sep 11, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #1,996 of 3,295
  Just out of interest, are there any women here at all? I suspect not. I don't mind, just kinda funny.

No, all the female Head-Fi'ers are too busy messaging me.
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #1,997 of 3,295
  Just out of interest, are there any women here at all? I suspect not. I don't mind, just kinda funny.

Funny how? That the average Head Fier sees authentic female anatomy about as often as a solar eclipse? Oh yeah, I guess it is.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #1,998 of 3,295

There are slight differences-mainly to soundstage, but they're not the overwhelming spectacular differences that people are claiming. There are some amps that sound a bit thinner, while others a bit warmer, but as far as actual "quality", when you get past all that things are very similar. The big differences are going to come from power output. 

Take the £5000 Technics HA5050H for instance, while it certainly sounded great, it wasn't noticeably better than my £600 Audeze Deckard with the same headphones. On the other hand, when I'm directly comparing the Deckard with my £120 Aune T1 mk2, the sound quality is extremely close, only distinguishable by the smoother highs of the T1.(probably due to the tube) And at Can Jam London this year at the Schiit Desk, Schiit had Ether C (£1500) and Ether (£1500) on their Ragnarok (£1400) while they had the Audioquest Nighthawk (£499) on their £200 Asgard. Problem with me though is i have an Asgard and I know how it sounds with other headphones, and the Nighthawk sounded spectacular, so I bought that sucker on the spot. But that seemed to be the trend with the high end amps; HE1000's (£2999) on almost all of them. Put the same headphones on the lower priced amps and the main difference is going to be power output and the ability to power sensitive headphones.

Hey, thanks mate, much appreciated overview. I was going to question smooth highs on the T1 (you'd be a first)  but I hadn't finished reading your sentence :)

I'm pretty (very) interested in the Nighthawks but I'd need the correct amp. So your combo is good yes? Are they actually as good on the Asgard? That'd save me 300 quid right there. I'm aware the nighthawks are only as good as the thing they plug in to.

I kinda like the valve sound though... Nostalgia and all that. I don't want accuracy I want listening pleasure. I do accuracy all day as a job.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #1,999 of 3,295
I wouldnt recomend to use angled pads on mt220 because drivers are already angled on mt220. Could be too much...

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #2,002 of 3,295

Hey, thanks mate, much appreciated overview. I was going to question smooth highs on the T1 (you'd be a first)  but I hadn't finished reading your sentence :)

I'm pretty (very) interested in the Nighthawks but I'd need the correct amp. So your combo is good yes? Are they actually as good on the Asgard? That'd save me 300 quid right there. I'm aware the nighthawks are only as good as the thing they plug in to.

I kinda like the valve sound though... Nostalgia and all that. I don't want accuracy I want listening pleasure. I do accuracy all day as a job.

Nighthawks sound great on Audeze Deckard, a Project Ember, Aune T1 mk2, Asgard 2, Cayin C5, Fiio E6, Audioquest Dragonfly, Schiit Magni 2 Uber, O2, hell, even my iPhone 6 plus and Windows 640XL, anything. 

It doesn't really need an amp as it has a ridiculously low impedance of 25 ohms. It's a very smooth headphone and doesn't really need a tube amp to smooth things out. If you want Tube amp+DAC for it, I'd suggest the Aune T1 mk2. If solid state, get Modi/Magni. Asgard 2 sounds nearly identical to the Magni 2 Uber, but it has more power for high impedance headphones, which the Nighthawk is definitely not, so you won't need it. Magna 2 is more powerful on low impedance headphones. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #2,004 of 3,295
Finally caught some air out from the drawer, my dt770 is exceptional good on the alphapads... :p

(though the paddings are thick, but the sound kinda transcends the physical "hindrance" )

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #2,005 of 3,295

Nighthawks sound great on Audeze Deckard, a Project Ember, Aune T1 mk2, Asgard 2, Cayin C5, Fiio E6, Audioquest Dragonfly, Schiit Magni 2 Uber, O2, hell, even my iPhone 6 plus and Windows 640XL, anything. 

It doesn't really need an amp as it has a ridiculously low impedance of 25 ohms. It's a very smooth headphone and doesn't really need a tube amp to smooth things out. If you want Tube amp+DAC for it, I'd suggest the Aune T1 mk2. If solid state, get Modi/Magni. Asgard 2 sounds nearly identical to the Magni 2 Uber, but it has more power for high impedance headphones, which the Nighthawk is definitely not, so you won't need it. Magna 2 is more powerful on low impedance headphones. 

Thanks enourmously. All mediocre headphones are now going on sale on Ebay. Your brief help has been invaluable in this, the incorrect thread for it. Thanks. MT220 stays though.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #2,007 of 3,295
click on the green "thumbs Up" ...to the left of the MULTI ..QUOTE...REPLY buttons.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #2,009 of 3,295

Ta. Kudos to you.

Peter, have you considered the LH Labs Geek-Out DAC, I have the 450, it is quite valve like, great for vocals and zero fatigue with the MT220 and so versatile?

There is a new version out now.

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #2,010 of 3,295

Peter, have you considered the LH Labs Geek-Out DAC, I have the 450, it is quite valve like, great for vocals and zero fatigue with the MT220 and so versatile?

There is a new version out now.

I'm very interested in coherent low bass, being a bass player and drummer of 30 years or so, so any vocal presence is a bonus for me, not a requirement. I'm looking to spend around 500 pounds (600 dollars) to have more fun than the Blue Mofi (review edition). The MT220 will not be going anywhere though, except with me to the pub for preliminary music work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back