Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged)
Sep 12, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #2,012 of 3,295
Put on some brainwavz pleather and it turned the mt220 into a bass head can. And velour makes the bass disappear. Maybe I should try a hybrid.

Or just leave with standard pads, they're designed to use them you know :) just stuff the back side for personal preference and off you go

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #2,013 of 3,295
Or just leave with standard pads, they're designed to use them you know
smily_headphones1.gif
just stuff the back side for personal preference and off you go

oh yeah, the standard pads sound the best so far. I'm just curious as to how other pads sound with the Mt220. Any other pads that might fit?

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #2,014 of 3,295
Put on some brainwavz pleather and it turned the mt220 into a bass head can. And velour makes the bass disappear. Maybe I should try a hybrid.

The pleather HM5 pads are one of the most popular choices for the JVC HA-SZ2000, which is regarded as the ultimate basshead headphone. If you *really* want to hear some crazy bass, try the JVC HA-M55X pads, if they fit. The NVX XPT100 pads are similar to the pleather HM5 pads, but I believe they're softer and more luxurious, so maybe they would give you a good compromise or at least be interesting. Like I mentioned, there is a normal and angled version.

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #2,015 of 3,295

The pleather HM5 pads are one of the most popular choices for the JVC HA-SZ2000, which is regarded as the ultimate basshead headphone. If you *really* want to hear some crazy bass, try the JVC HA-M55X pads, if they fit. The NVX XPT100 pads are similar to the pleather HM5 pads, but I believe they're softer and more luxurious, so maybe they would give you a good compromise or at least be interesting. Like I mentioned, there is a normal and angled version.

Thanks. Gonna take my time and try them. 

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #2,018 of 3,295
  I decided to buy the MT220, but then after further listening at home i decided they need a mod, but i don't know how to mod them. I think the ear needs to sit maybe 5mm further away from the diaphragm, that seems to fix things, so i hope someone out there will suggest to Yamaha that they offer an accessory ear pad or new modified replacement for sale. With the ear so close to the diaphragm it's causing the bass to sound a tad boomy and it also overbears the lower-mids, but pulling the ear-cups slightly away fixes the problem and then they sound just right. 

From a previous post of mine: "I have placed some rolled up cotten "make-up removal pads" (when her Light-Ness was out buying more shoes!) I cut the round pads into squares and rolled them up tightly and tucked them in under the cushion of the ear-pads.  I think it improves things but have not bothered comparing. My logic is to push the speaker a little further away from the ear and help absorb any reverb - just my half-pence".  

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #2,019 of 3,295
  I decided to buy the MT220, but then after further listening at home i decided they need a mod, but i don't know how to mod them. I think the ear needs to sit maybe 5mm further away from the diaphragm, that seems to fix things, so i hope someone out there will suggest to Yamaha that they offer an accessory ear pad or new modified replacement for sale. With the ear so close to the diaphragm it's causing the bass to sound a tad boomy and it also overbears the lower-mids, but pulling the ear-cups slightly away fixes the problem and then they sound just right. 

What I did was stuff gauze under the right and left sides of the pads. Lorspeaker told me about it. Don't put too much gauze (or other material) under the pads, though, because that makes it sound bloated instead of better.

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #2,020 of 3,295
  Ok i'll try that. I'm also of the opinion that this is a slightly warm-sounding headphone. Would you agree? It's definitely not neutral. I've got another headphone which sounds neutral, and an A/B clearly shows the warmth of the MT220.

No headphone is neutral; only relatively more neutral than others. What headphone is that, by the way? (Tip: list your equipment in your signature and/or profile to make things easier for everyone.) The MT220 is neutral-ish, with moderately boosted bass, so in that sense, it's warm; however, I would describe the treble as cold, but in a good way.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #2,021 of 3,295
tried on my stockpads with my corky-variant of the "sorbo mod".....
after an hour, i had to stuff some cotton gauze on the backend of the pad for more coherence.
( i guess my corkchops are too thin :p)

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,023 of 3,295
  tried on my stockpads with my corky-variant of the "sorbo mod".....
after an hour, i had to stuff some cotton gauze on the backend of the pad for more coherence.
( i guess my corkchops are too thin :p)

Maybe then just fry them up!
Yum - salty rashers of bacon!

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #2,025 of 3,295

What a coincidence. My roommate told me yesterday that she is allergic to bacon. XD

(Oh, and I had Hot Pockets with bacon in them too. ...And I'm about to eat a breakfast burrito with bacon in it. I love bacon!!)

Interesting - you might ask him what his symptoms are?

I only eat bacon or processed meat very rarely as I feel fatigued after it - probably something to do with the Phosphate curing process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back