Yamaha HPH-200 - whose rebrands are these?
Aug 30, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #17 of 29
Hello everyone!

Does anyone else bought these headphones?

I can get these for €85, should it be a good purchase? How do they sound like or what kind of sound do they have and why can't I find any reviews?

I was looking for some €150 headphones like the ATH-M50 or the Beyerdynamics DT770, but came across these and looking to see if they are a good buy. Also, how do they compare to Denon AD-H1100, Ultrasone HFI-780 and Grado SR225i? I know they are open to compare to the other.

Many thanks!

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #18 of 29
Hello everyone!

Does anyone else bought these headphones?

I can get these for €85, should it be a good purchase? How do they sound like or what kind of sound do they have and why can't I find any reviews?

I was looking for some €150 headphones like the ATH-M50 or the Beyerdynamics DT770, but came across these and looking to see if they are a good buy. Also, how do they compare to Denon AD-H1100, Ultrasone HFI-780 and Grado SR225i? I know they are open to compare to the other.

Many thanks!

They never really took off here, only a few members have tried them if I remember correctly. I was about to buy them but backed out after thinking I could demo first. I like you couldn't find much information. If you can do a return it's probably best you try them first. Just because they're not mentioned much here doesn't mean they're bad at all.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #19 of 29
Yes, I know... I might try them someday if price remains. Have to check return policies. Stores here in Portugal are not very friendly regarding returns for headphones due to hygiene issues. I guess I could resell for about the same price, but want to try a few others first.

Poor Yamaha, they could've made the best headphones ever, no one gave them a chance...

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 29
Hi!

Today I had an oportunity to listen to those headphones.

My sweatheart is looking for a full-sized upgrage from her Koss PortaPro, so we found a local Koss dealer and went for a recon. They had very few models in stock, so we picked the two chaepest: Koss UR-40 and the HPH-200. We brought the PortaPro and Superlux HD-668B with us, as wel as iRiver IHP-120 player. We listening took about an hour.
Both Koss heaphones had a pleasent sound, but compared to the other two they sounded like from behind a curtain.
The HD-668B were a more demanding opponent, but eventually they were no match for Yamahas. I know they are at a totally different price range, but I also remember that they were successfully compared to much more expensive cans. But not this time.
The overall band proportions were quite similar (low vs mid vs high), but Yamahas had something dark and mysterious to them while Superlux were light and cheerful as always.
HPH-200 sounded detailed, with soundstage of medium depth but great definition. That space wass filled with music, deep sounds sustained, others disappeard as soon as they appeared. I had a feeling that everything was controlled with great confidence and dexterity.
My Superlux were not bad either, but they lacked that refinement and most importantly the mood.
Honestly, I have newer heard Katatonia sound so good on headphones...

Actually they remind me of Denon AH-D1000S in sound signature, but are perhaps superion in detail.
Unfortunaletty HPH-200 cost at least two times more than we are willng to pay :) so we are still searching... Based on my description, could You recoment something that might sound simmilar, but for half the price?

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:
No you didn't
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Interesting...

Old friends - so you have these in sight ?

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #24 of 29
I was looking around for something different and saw these on amazon
about a month ago for about $100.00.

Yamaha has a really fine reputation in the music industry going back
a long way, I figured what the heck.  If I didn't like them, I'd return them.

I have Beyer's, AKG's, Grado's - I've listened to a LOT of different headphones
over the years.  (Most of them are on my Profile page here.)

So these small, very nicely made HPH 200's arrive.
I put them on, and I'm startled.  They're great!
I cannot believe these are hundred dollar headphones.
(List is/was $199., IIRC.)

Bass, air, fullness, roundness, detail, soundstage - -

I get a sense that they're being discontinued, and
I want a backup pair.  So I go back to Amazon and
see they're available for $88.00!  Ridiculous!  I bought
them immediately.

A couple of days later they're here, and yep -
the first set were not freaks.  These sound identical.

I start to muse on actually getting a 3rd set...not
seriously, but let me see - and Amazon has NONE
left.  The few for sale from 3rd parties are insanely
expensive.

I thought I'd post in this thread because obviously
there's not much info about them online or anywhere
for that matter. 

They are excellent open headphones; I've not heard
anything remotely as good for up to about $125. or so.

They're not perfect, of course.  The earpads could be
a touch bigger, the build could be a little more substantial,
but these are quibbles.  They are a juicy enjoyable
listen, every time. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #25 of 29
Hi guys!

I am considering buying a pair of headphones under 100 euros.
Besides this Yamaha what should I consider?

Are these the best ones?

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #27 of 29
Yamahas hph 200 are amazing for the price. Deeply extended bass response and really capable of letting percieve the sound textures in all frequency range. Even the characteristics of the sound fx like reverb predelays or diffusion type are noticeable easily.  The dynamics are great also even at the far bottom of sublow frecuencies. I did some break in with a mix of tone sweeps, pink noise and random music at moderate volume level. The are sweet when the mix is sweet, and bite when the music bites. They really translate the tonal balance of the original music program right to your ears. I fully recommend these headphones for analytical listening (mixing, mastering, restoration) as well as for appreciating music in an immersive way.

May 11, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
Yamahas hph 200 are amazing for the price. Deeply extended bass response and really capable of letting percieve the sound textures in all frequency range. Even the characteristics of the sound fx like reverb predelays or diffusion type are noticeable easily.  The dynamics are great also even at the far bottom of sublow frecuencies. I did some break in with a mix of tone sweeps, pink noise and random music at moderate volume level. The are sweet when the mix is sweet, and bite when the music bites. They really translate the tonal balance of the original music program right to your ears. I fully recommend these headphones for analytical listening (mixing, mastering, restoration) as well as for appreciating music in an immersive way.

Hi!

I can only second this opinion. I wouldn't want to believe it. Went for Sennheiser HD239 instead without hearing the Yamahas. Well, I could have saved some money. Now I ended up with both. If I would need to sell one it would be the Sennheiser (and I am a Sennheiser person). The Yamahas are absolutely amazing headphones.

Something is going wrong in their PR department though. don't they send samples to all major reviewing sites? It seems nobody actually knows about these cans. Which is a shame, they are really that good.

My local music shop sells them currently for under $100. They are really a steal.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back