Yamaha EPH-100
Sep 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #3,451 of 4,690

If you haven't tried it yet, try taking the bud off and blowing into the speakers. If that doesn't work, bang the broken earphone into your hand several times. These earphones have major condensation issues and as someone that owned a pair, I experienced it around 4 or 5 times (in 3 months).

That said, no long-term problems persisted, it was just very annoying as I could hardly use these after a shower or when sweating (unless I q-tipped my ears every time)... Anyone buying these earphones needs to be warned about the fault, it was pretty shocking when it happened the first time.

lol, been there, done that. That's why the right earpiece eventually sustained quite a bit of physical damage.. me banging the crap out of it trying to get the driver to start working again. Bottom line is either there's an inherent defect in the design, or a batch of defective units.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #3,452 of 4,690
Well the SE215 has less treble than the X10, but is a bit more tonally neutral/not as warm. I think SE215 is closer to EPH100's tonality than the X10, even though the X10 is technically superior. The SE215 treble is even smoother than the EPH100, but not as detailed.

I think I might like them... but I'd go for the limited edition ones for that extra bass and nice housing color.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #3,454 of 4,690
Also worth considering is the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet. Can be had for $125 via Amazon, maybe cheaper somewhere else. I had a post about them way earlier in the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100/105#post_8061737
Didn't spend much time with them, but from what I recall they had more bass, and the design is nearly identical.
Also the Audio Technica ATH-CKN70, uses a micro driver, not sure about the sound, but they look more durable. Some people were raving about them when they came out, but I never read a head to head comparo vs the EPH.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #3,455 of 4,690
So just What is with these and the right earpiece crapping out? Mine had the same thing happen. Honestly, I don't care that they have a lifetime warranty, I'll never buy them again, no matter how great I thought they sounded after proper burn-in. Not worth the hassle and aggravation.

I would just like to find something that sounds as close to them as possible, but with much better build quality... and without having to spend $250 or more.

Actually, I got this just 100 on head fi from a reputable member. For the price and quality I got from it, I am impressed. Quality on this is pretty good I gotta say. I think I just didn't take a real good care of my headphone.Mine definitely don't have the condensation problem, but I guess I would try blow directly into the earpiece and try my luck

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #3,457 of 4,690

lol, been there, done that. That's why the right earpiece eventually sustained quite a bit of physical damage.. me banging the crap out of it trying to get the driver to start working again. Bottom line is either there's an inherent defect in the design, or a batch of defective units.

Let's go for the defective batch, because there are a large number of people here who never had a single issue with these IEMs.
And mines took the heavy rain quite a few times while biking.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #3,458 of 4,690
Also worth considering is the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet. Can be had for $125 via Amazon, maybe cheaper somewhere else. I had a post about them way earlier in the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100/105#post_8061737
Didn't spend much time with them, but from what I recall they had more bass, and the design is nearly identical.
Also the Audio Technica ATH-CKN70, uses a micro driver, not sure about the sound, but they look more durable. Some people were raving about them when they came out, but I never read a head to head comparo vs the EPH.

Wow they look like an awesome style, price is a bit steep but typical for monster. They're so similar to the EPHs, wish someone had a comparison...
  Let's go for the defective batch, because there are a large number of people here who never had a single issue with these IEMs.
And mines took the heavy rain quite a few times while biking.

It's not a defective batch, as I've had mine replaced by a completely different supplier. On top of that, we're talking about inside condensation, not rain from outside. I used to use mine in the rain all the time, but as soon as I used them after a shower everything went downhill. I've done the same with a whole bunch of IEMs and whilst it's not a clever practice, they've all seemed to hold up.

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #3,459 of 4,690

Yeah, I wanted to try those after I tried the Copper Pros (which I didn't care for the sound at all).. read that the Miles Davis version were possibly more to my liking. The price sure has come down on them!

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #3,461 of 4,690
Yeah it's a very smooth IEM, smoother than even some budget earphones; if you like that raw feeling in vocals, the EPH100 doesn't bring it.

Quote:
  Now I got my EPH-100 for the first time and yes its a damn good gear, but I am missing some vocal sparkle... is that me or someone else had noticed that before?

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3,463 of 4,690
I would say even my Shure SE215 gives a more forward sound to vocals. The EPH100 is clearer and more detailed on the whole. but if you check out the FR graphs, the EPH is scooped in the lower treble/3khz-8khz, whereas the SE215 has a peak around 5k, a frequency that is responsible for giving vocals some detail and attack.

Quote:
Perhaps a little..but compared to what?

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #3,465 of 4,690
yesterday, the left side of my eph-100 almost stopped to work (very muted).
I  tried everything: blowing / sucking, putting them in a dehumidifier, "banging" them on hand , and later on desktop ... nothing seemed to work.
Today tried them again : same problem , it didn't  seem like a temporary issue.
Finally I  noticed that the nozzle was  slightly flattened on the side ,  near the grill. I  don't know how this happened , maybe I've walked on them accidentally, or someone . Or the material "contract" with themperature.
I  used a screwdriver and applied pressure on nozzle, in order to restore more or less the"round" shape  .
Sound seems back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back