Yamaha EPH-100
May 2, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #3,256 of 4,690
Quote:
Are these earphones right for my needs?

I'm after some portable earphones which I will pair with my Nexus 4 phone for music, movies and the odd bit of android gaming. (I may get a portable slim amp if you recommend)

I will use the phones whilst at the gym and commuting so I MUST have noise isolating ones which don't disturb passengers whilst I can block out noise from the outside world.

I'd like them to have good clarity, spatial awareness, bass and the type of Music which I may listen to now and gain is beats antique as shown in the video below

Beats Antique - Egyptic - YouTube

Budget £80-100

Thanks

Yes the Yamaha EPH100 will be perfect for you.

I have a Nexus 4 as well and use the Yams with it, sounds awesome!

Especially if you use Franco kernel and the EIZO app. :wink:

May 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #3,257 of 4,690
Well I've been using the eph-100  extensively recently, and the left
side became completely silent.
After some checking I  noticed there was still a very weak sound.
So I   cleaned the nozzle with  klennex  , then I tried to suck a bit (through the nozzle).
I 'd say the volume is almost back to normal, although I  think the right is still stronger.

I'm back for now to my despised hd25 II 1  (well perhaps I  like them  bit more).

May 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #3,258 of 4,690
Lol seems like this issue with the sound disappearing from one side of the earpiece due to moisture or whatever that I reported when it first came out isn't a so called "myth" as some users were claiming it to be. 

May 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #3,259 of 4,690
Lol seems like this issue with the sound disappearing from one side of the earpiece due to moisture or whatever that I reported when it first came out isn't a so called "myth" as some users were claiming it to be. 

It's a reality.

May 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #3,260 of 4,690
[size=medium]These Yamaha’s are really awesome![/size]

[size=medium]Sounds like you’re listening to full range speakers. [/size]

[size=medium]People say the bass is good and it sure is but so is the midrange and treble. I find the treble just about perfect. But it’s the midrange where the magic happens in music and the midrange is great. Voices sound beautiful, soulful and stunningly realistic to the point where you can feel the singers emotion and positions them just right in the soundstage, guitars have bite and drive (that goes for bass and lead), violins,  trumpets’ and saxophones sound as rich as triple chocolate mud cake. Most of the midrange to treble sounds wonderfully rich but not overdone; they really do capture the texture of instruments.[/size]

[size=medium]The bass and sub-bass sets a wonderful foundation where it drives the music and in turn gets you and your head moving. I’m constantly surprised how something so small makes such wonderful bass![/size]

[size=medium]Treble is not fatiguing and clear, drum cymbals actually splash and shimmer and not just go ssssssssssssssss. Violin, flute, voices or any other instrument that reaches the higher ranges will be given their rich rewards![/size]

[size=medium]Soundstage and separation are a strong point also and like I said it’s almost like you are not even wearing earphones but instead listening to full range speakers![/size]

[size=medium]This is one of the best $100-$150 you can spend for your health and enjoyment. They are very addictive and when I need a fix I just grab these two little earphones, put them in so my brain can draw from its substance. [/size]

[size=medium]They go very nice with the 6th gen Ipod nano btw and that pairing is the smallest and cheapeast entry to hi-fi you can get!. A couple of songs I like are Wanna be starting something by MJ, Change in mood by Kids in the Kitchen and Cherub rock by Smashing Pumkins. Jeff Buckley sounds great also, man I could go on and on.[/size]

[size=medium]Thank you Yamaha, I just bought another pair and also the pro 500’s just because of these little beauties! Even if the 500’s turn out to be a dud, so long as the x2 100’s last and keep their sound I will be a happy man![/size]

[size=medium][size=11pt]Here I am a Suzuki fan rootin for Yamaha, Kevin Swantz and [/size][size=10pt]Ricky Carmichael will be spittin chips.[/size][/size]

May 5, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #3,261 of 4,690
Quote:
[size=medium]These Yamaha’s are really awesome![/size]

[size=medium]Sounds like you’re listening to full range speakers. [/size]

Yeah, I just can't imagine someone buying these as their first Iem, and then being disappointed (well, for the sound). No tweaking required in the eq, and very open.

Regarding the issue of sound disappearing in one side, I must say that I've been using them recently non-stop. It's fortunate the problem is temporary, but off course I consider them now as being less reliable.
Anyway, if I still have problems with them I'll consider the monster trumpets, which are said to be similar (but more expensive).

May 8, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #3,262 of 4,690
Mine still working without any problems.

May 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #3,263 of 4,690
Dunno about the moisture issues. I was looking for my iems. Not uncommon I tend to forget where I lay them. Don´t find them and then I realize I have a washing machine going. Oh crap yes there they where. Somehow they seem to survived intact though. They where enclosed in a training jacket that is somewhat waterproof which maybe helps and only 40 degrees but still... 

Sound cleaner then ever :wink:

May 10, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #3,264 of 4,690
May 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #3,267 of 4,690
DISCLAIMER: I don't consider myself an audiophile with that much experience, but I basically like sound the way it was originally created and recorded. No extreme anything. Just the right amount of everything. One more thing is that English is not my first language, so my vocabulary won't be very sophisticated here.

That said, I just unboxed these head phones about an hour ago, and I don't know if I like them or not to be honest.

The one thing that bothers me is that, these headphones for whatever reason have a kind of weird high frequency, talking about the higher frequencies of the songs I usually listen to. It sounds like a mid-high kind of thing.
I tried several genres. Trance (some Above and Beyond stuff), metal (As I Lay Dying), some other stuff (Joe Satriani..... don't even know what genre he plays. It's just rock for me)... and I noticed this on all those genres.

Now, lemme say that what I'm used to is the sound signature of the ATH-M50, which I use very frequently. And you can't compare them two cause they're 2 different kinds of headphones, but what I can tell for sure is that the M50s have higher frequencies than the Yamaha's, and when I got them, I kind of missed those higher frequencies.

I was expecting more mids, but I think they're fine. Now, the bass is superb! It's not too much, but it's present and feels really nice and accurate enough to what I think it's intended to be.

Now... maybe they need a little bit of burn in in order to get the full sound of these babies, or for the higher (maybe a little bit of the mid...?) frequencies to improve? I don't know. All I know is that for the minutes I've been listening to them, this is my first impression.

I will for sure come back here in a couple of weeks to say what my experience has been, but for now... I think they're fine. I can't say I'm blown away. Then again, we'll see in the next couple of weeks.

I'll keep you all posted.

May 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #3,270 of 4,690
Hmm I'm a trance DJ and I listen to the artists you mentioned, however I don't feel that the highs are weird at all.

What do you mean by weird exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back